Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reds duo have yen for Japan

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Reds duo have yen for Japan

Bret Harris | May 06, 2009

Article from: The Australian

IN a major setback to the Wallabies' World Cup chances and Queensland's hopes of a revival, Test forward Hugh McMeniman is poised to accept a lucrative offer from a Japanese club.

McMeniman was one of the few Reds to play consistently well in the Super 14, before sustaining a series-ending ankle injury, and had been pencilled in for a second-row spot in the Wallabies team alongside fellow Queenslander James Horwill.

The abrasive McMeniman, who has played 21 Tests since his debut against Samoa in 2005, was a key component in Wallabies coach Robbie Deans' plans for the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand thanks to his ability to play both lock and blindside flanker.

But McMeniman is keen to continue his career in Japan where he can command a much bigger salary. McMeniman's history of injuries is also believed to have played a part in his decision to quit Australia.

There is a strong rumour Wallabies and Reds outside back Digby Ioane will go to Japan as well. If McMeniman and Ioane do go, it does not necessarily mean they have played their last Tests for the Wallabies.

The Wallabies have a history of selecting overseas-bound players in the domestic Test season.

McMeniman is hoping to recover from his ankle injury in four months, which means he would be available for the Tri-Nations Tests against the Springboks in Brisbane and the All Blacks in Wellington.

He is also keen to play against the All Blacks in the Bledisloe Cup Test in Tokyo in October and be a part of the Wallabies' first grand slam tour of Britain and Ireland in 25 years.

The departure of McMeniman and Ioane could help the Reds recruit Wallabies blindside flanker Rocky Elsom, who is returning to Australia after a stint with Irish province Leinster.

Meanwhile, Wallabies winger Peter Hynes has been ruled out of the Reds' match with the Crusaders in Christchurch on Friday night, but there are still hopes for five other injured players.

Hynes has fluid on the knee and will have a scan to determine whether surgery is required. Reds coach Phil Mooney has delayed naming a team until tonight to give Horwill (foot), five-eighth Berrick Barnes (groin), Ioane (neck/shoulder), fullback Mark McLinden (knee) and flanker Poutasi Luafutu (hand) time to recover from their injuries.

Mooney had originally planned to name the team this morning, but he may not know who he can take to New Zealand until this evening.

Barnes, McLinden, Horwill and Ioane will be given more time to respond to treatment.

Luafutu was prepared to play with a fractured hand, but Mooney was unsure if he would ask the young flanker to do it.

"They are in until they are out," Mooney said.

The injuries follow the loss of McMeniman, flanker Daniel Braid (ankle) and halfback Will Genia, who will be sidelined for three months after undergoing surgery on a ruptured finger tendon.

Reds academy halfback Brendan McKibbin has been placed on notice for the trip to Christchurch, while Australian sevens half Richard Kingi is also likely to receive a call-up.
    NSW Waratahs coach Chris Hickey has played down the significance of the Sharks losing their halves combination, Rory Kockott and Francois Steyn, for the showdown in Durban on Saturday night.

Kockott, who is the second-highest points scorer in the competition this season, has been suspended for one week for striking Highlanders forward Adam Thomson.
    Steyn is likely to be sidelined for the rest of the Super 14 series with a knee injury.
    Springbok Ruan Pienaar, who came off the bench against the Highlanders after returning from injury, could start at either halfback or five-eighth.

"The reality is the depth of rugby here is that whoever they pick to replace those two players will be two good players," Hickey said.

"It doesn't give you any advantage at all. There's not too many areas of weakness there, I can assure you."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And everyone reckons the have problems.

Player
    vCash
    MMM might be sensible going to Japan. He is about the same age as Elsom and will never start ahead of him at 6 for the Wallabies while Elsom is around. And he is not going to be a starting lock leading into the next world cup ahead of the likes of Kimin, Hockings and Horwill. The smaller bodies and less intense physicality of the game in Japan may help save him from his own 'Madness' in the contact and prolong his career enough to allow him to set himself up better financially.

Champion
    vCash
    1) are they going to be fielding a side this week against the saders ? or are they going to forfiert with the amount of injuries and outward players.

2) Just when the Australian Rugby Family thought the Reds are going to hold onto there players for more than 13 weeks of the year, hoping that they haven't got too much money in there back pockets to poach Brownie and / or JOC.

vCash
    It would be shabby if MMM went to Japan after the patience that the Reds have shown through all of his injuries in the past 4 years. Yet I can't help but think that it won't be such a loss for the Reds as he usually only averages about 25% of a regular season due to injuries. Pity, as he can be a good player.

I'd be surprised if Digby went - Robbie Deans is putting in a lot of time with him at the moment, and he will fall off the radar if he goes to Japan.

vCash
    THere is no joy being a Reds supporter this week... and I thought they're on the rise for 2010...

Player
    vCash
    Maybe donut should look at Japan if hes not getting enough dough here.....he could always take up sumo wrestling to supplement his income,if he wants more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Maybe donut should look at Japan if hes not getting enough dough here.....he could always take up sumo wrestling to supplement his income,if he wants more.
    Yep its on the cards...

vCash
    Sayonara Hugh and Digby

Blow to Wallabies as overseas riches lure Aussie stars

Nick Taylor, rugby writer

May 23, 2009 07:50pm
    THE Wallabies' World Cup plans have suffered a major setback with Queensland and Test forward Hugh McMeniman to quit Australian rugby at season's end.

And McMeniman's Reds teammate Digby Ioane will leave with him unless Test coach Robbie Deans succeeds in a late bid to keep the powerhouse outside back in Australia.

In a massive blow to embattled Queensland's hopes of a revival, McMeniman will shun a World Cup campaign in 2011 after fielding offers in excess of $900,000 from French and Japanese clubs.

The star flanker informed Reds coach Phil Mooney of his decision last Friday. Ruled out of this year's Wallabies program with an ankle injury, McMeniman faced the prospect of sacrificing $1.24 million over two years had he committed to a new deal with the ARU.

The ARU's base offer, understood to be around $280,000 annually, was not unpalatable to McMeniman. But the financial strength of offshore clubs, combined with McMeniman's horror run with injury, convinced the 21-Test veteran to embark on a new challenge.

He is almost certain to play in Japan, but has not ruled out a stint in France.

The impending loss of McMeniman and Ioane - two Wallabies in their prime - should ring alarm bells at ARU headquarters as the governing body attempts to stem a player drain to cashed-up overseas outfits.

"Talks have broken down, so I'll be pursuing my overseas interests. I've told the Reds I'm going," McMeniman said.

"I've spoken to Phil (Mooney) and naturally he's disappointed, but he's been good about it. He wished me well. Given my injuries, I can't complain too much about the ARU's offer, but it just doesn't get near the overseas offers.

"I haven't decided on a club yet. There's three or four clubs in the mix."

Ioane, 23, was left shocked by the ARU's offer, said to be around $190,000 a season.

"The offer was like an insult to me. I don't get it. I'm shattered," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005403,00.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    Ioane, 23, was left shocked by the ARU's offer, said to be around $190,000 a season.

"The offer was like an insult to me. I don't get it. I'm shattered," he said.
    Sounds like Digby is believing his own hype at the moment

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Meh.

Plenty of top wingers/outside centres. Digby is talented but largely unnecessary. All of Mortlock, Cross and Tahu can cover outside centre and on the wings Turner, Mitchell, AAC, Hynes, Tuqiri and Shepherd (when he gets back from injury) along with many others waiting in the wings. As for McMeniman, for all his talent, he is just perpetually injured. Bad investment.

You have heaps of opportunities to make money in your life but not so many to represent your country.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash
    Not an easy decision Im sure,but when you are talking big numbers I wonder how many here would say no to the yen.

Especially when you are paid the equivalent of 3 seasons for the price of one here.

I'm sure the world is in a recession,so where does this type of money come from.

vCash
    Ioane made the most meters out of any player in the Super14, he also lead the stats in a few other areas for australian players as well, all without playing the whole season.

I hardly call that hype, Mortlock has another 18months left in him max, Tahu is still a unproven product, Cross has a bit longer left in him then Mortlock but not by much, post 2011 the Wallabies should be looking at keeping players like Ioane for 2015 and before.

I can understand not offering McMenimen a whole lot, he is injury prone and there are other young candidates for the spot, but the ARU would have to be crazy to let Ioane go.

vCash
    this is an outrage!

seriously people. how can we expect digby to survive when he is only being offered $190,000 for ONE of his incomes?

those wings didnt come cheap you know!!!

vCash
    Very shabby by McMenimen - after all the patience that the Reds have shown him, for such little return in actual playing time. Oh well, no doubt he will be injured again in his second or third game.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast