An offer to create an Indigenous pathway for one of mining entrepreneur Andrew Forrest's philanthropic charities has triggered Dylan Pietsch to switch Super Rugby teams next year.

Western Force pulled off the unexpected coup in signing the Waratahs winger that may also include a positional switch in the move after formerly playing flanker out of schoolboy and sevens rugby.

Pietsch officially requested a release from his NSW Rugby Union on Friday after the Force, who are financially backed by Forrest, had been in talks with the Wiradjuri man since the conclusion of the Super Rugby competition at the end of June.

NSWRU chief executive Phil Waugh relented, granting Pietsch an immediate release from his contract knowing former players of the defunct Melbourne Rebels are available.

While the 26-year-old, who has been capped three times for the Wallabies since debuting this year moves on for better playing opportunities, it is understood Pietsch - who actively practises Indigenous art outside of rugby - has been told there is also scope to conduct an artistic Indigenous contribution to the Minderoo Foundation.

The details of the foundation role has not been made clear and is not connected to Pietsch's multi-year contract, but it ties into Forrest owning the majority share and controlling interest of the Force.

Pietsch joins the Force after a capable 2024 Super Rugby Pacific season of crossing for four tries in 12 appearances for the Waratahs, leading to his Wallabies Test call-up after watching from the sidelines all of last year in the Australian training squad under former coach Eddie Jones.

"I feel like the Western Force are on the up at the moment and I am really excited to play my part in it," Pietsch said in a statement.

"The Force play a fast-style of rugby where they like to move the ball, which suits me.

"I believe that can bring out my strengths with carrying and ball-running on the edges.

"My Wallabies ambition is a big thing too.

"Now I have had a taste of international rugby, I want to play consistent footy and I feel I can play my best footy with the Force.

"I feel this move can help propel me forward."

Pietsch has appeared 38 times in Super Rugby, all for his home state, and has scored 14 tries since senior coaches in Sydney suggested the undersized loose forward play wing in 2022.

While enjoying his time out wide, Pietsch has quietly been hinting a desire to slide towards the midfield and take on the bone-crunching inside centre role.

Pietsch is familiar with many new Force teammates from his time with the Australian sevens side and early on for the Waratahs, and would be keen play off the left shoulder of his Randwick clubmate and Force flyhalf, Ben Donaldson, was another lure.

"I'm really excited to play with a good group of boys," Pietsch said.

"I room with Donno (Ben Donaldson) on every Wallabies tour.

"I know a fair few of them – Jeremy Williams, Will Harris, Tom Horton and many more.

"It's good to have those relationships going into a new team; it makes the transition a lot easier."

The names Pietsch listed were all running around in his 2022 debut season with New South Wales.

The relocation west could well also link Pietsch up with Darug and Kamilaroi man, Kurtley Beale, should the 35-year-old be offered a second season in Perth.

Though Pietsch may well eventually play in the No.12 jersey, Force coach Simon Cron was not giving much away on the announcement of the key signing.

Waugh, who in his Waratahs and Wallabies heyday also played openside flanker, told Pietsch inside centre was up for grabs under new NSW and former ACT Brumbies coach, Dan McKellar.

"He is a genuine winger, who brings pace and power out wide," Cron said.

"He also has a really driven personality type that will fit in really well with our group.

"The best players have that inner drive and he definitely has it, so we are excited about getting Dylan over after his Wallabies' duties.

"For us, it's really important we get depth in the back three as it will only help others in the squad to develop and get better."
https://nit.com.au/17-09-2024/13756/...taken-by-force