Thread: My thoughts on the Force vs Tonga game...

vCash

My thoughts on the Force vs Tonga game...

Got there quite late and missed alot of the pre game build up action but didnt mind really as I was there to see the Force in action. Enjoyed the Aboriginal war dance, thought it was fantastic.

Really enjoyed the game and the intensity of the Force. Felt the game started off really slowly though and was frustrated for the first 8 or so minutes with the stopages and the lack of urgency to form the scrum (hence the scrum clock didnt kick in, and on that note I think they should increase the scrum clock by 5 seconds but start it immediately after the ref blows his whistle, not once he calls for them to set. The scrums still felt slow at times.

The game itself was brilliant though, roaring pace by the Force and they smashed it up through the phases with one or two out passes to get the team moving forward before spreading the ball from side to side with ruthless pace. The rugby was incredible, a brilliant advertisement, Rugbys back!

Impressed by Tonga coming back in the first half to be within 4 points but they werent really in it. Too many mistakes and they couldnt seem to put together enough phases to be threatening. Too much reliance on individual brilliance or a counter attack.

I thought the Force played excellent in the second half and put the game out of reach with some really awesome attacking rugby. The handling was superb and they really seemed to have a feel for where their support players would be, some great offloads too, overall a great display of cohesion. Its fitting when your team plays highly entertaining Rugby when you watch the dribble being served up on the East Coast. Really impressed with the teams attacking attitude and just general basic skills. Its refreshing.

I went home and watched the game I recorded on my TV and was happy enough with the commentry. I though Chris Handy seemed to speak quite slow but I got used to him, thought they got the balance right in the second half when they introduced the 3rd commentator. Having Bray and Handy just isnt enough to be fulfilling. I also thought they should amplify the crowd noise and tone down the commentary a bit like what they do with some of the Soccer matches overseas, they should look into this because super rugby sounds dull on TV and has no appreciation for bringing the atmosphere into their broadcast, I dont want World Series Rugby to follow suit when it could definitely bring the crowd noise into the TV broadcast for people who dont have their TVs hooked up to high end amplifiers who can manually do this for the games they want.

Overall I am super impressed with it. Thought the kiss cam was done well. Music was good and entertaining during play. My two kids loved it and want to come back. I felt they knew how to keep their attention just enough to make then engage with the game.

Want to say a big thanks to Andrew Twiggy Forrest. Well done mate. Super impressive and look forward to more of it. Cant wait for next years edition. Will be back for every game this year. Can't wait.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    I also thought they should amplify the crowd noise.
    I was wondering if they should ask for the special microphones (or fake crowd noise) used on the NRL broadcasts. They manage to have huge crowd noise in mostly empty stadiums.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    I was wondering if they should ask for the special microphones (or fake crowd noise) used on the NRL broadcasts. They manage to have huge crowd noise in mostly empty stadiums.
    Its just standard broadcast audio equipment that they use. Over seas they tend to muffle/distort the commentry a little bit and amplify the background (crowd) noise and it sounds awesome, makes you feel like you are at the game. For some reason Fox broadcasts go the otherway and the commentry drowns out all the background noise and the games seem dull and boring like non-spectacles. They've done it for years.

Good home audio equipment / amplifiers can do it by changing the settings to sport mode or some type of hall type mode etc. Until you find the sweet spot. Each manufacrurer settings can sounds a little different too.

I just think it's something worth exploring.

Not keen on any "fake" noise if thats what the NRL does

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    They're just using the rebels crowd (3/4 of the crowd are invisible)

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Not keen on any "fake" noise if thats what the NRL does
    I should have used the Sarcastica font But there's no doubt the NRL broadcasts amplify the crowd noise some how. It would be good if the WSR broadcasts could bring the crowd "energy" into the broadcast a bit more at the appropriate times.

Last edited by SteveWA; 16-05-18 at 08:42.

Player
    vCash
    I think Buddha Handy would be getting on a bit now. I agree that he sounded a bit wobbly at first but improved as he went on

vCash
    Both games were really enjoyable but seemed to lack the intensity of what we have been used to which is totally understandable for friendly fixtures.
    I think the next 2 games its going to go up several notches. Losing wont be a disaster but how great to win one of these 2.
    As for the entertainment, overall it is a positive to bring in the non die hard fans.
    Love the parachutist and force flag. Dance routine entertaining also.

For me on the negative side is the intrusive announcer and other distractions while the ball is in play. One moment stuck in my mind on sunday when the tongan supporters were singing on the west side and the announcer drowns them out with the mic. Seemed disrespectful to me. Im sure I would feel differently if it were rebels fans (are there any)!

vCash
    Agree on the amplified announcement

I thought the live brass band is great, and will get better as they get used to the pacing and intricacies of the game

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Yeah, they serious need to get rugby guy in there directing the stadium effects. He should have shut up and let the crowd hear the Tongans sing, this is rugby, a game with culture, not the Eagles or the Wildcats

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    The WWE use it these days as their crowds are woeful compared to the Attitude Era.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Speaking of WWE tactics; I do think if, lo and behold, the crowds dwindle, we should release tickets only on one side of the ground. Fill up one side and make sure the cameras only point in that direction

How very duplicitous
    Straight out of the Vince McMahon handbook

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Yeah, they serious need to get rugby guy in there directing the stadium effects. He should have shut up and let the crowd hear the Tongans sing, this is rugby, a game with culture, not the Eagles or the Wildcats
    The same game that is dying country wide while the teams you mention thrive?

I think y'all need to get over it, if we stay the same we are destined to follow the East Coast into the grave, if we make the game more appealing we can thrive. End of the day we got not fantastic crowds with all this culture we apparently have. So let's try something different and maybe wear earplugs or something if so easily distracted?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    The same game that is dying country wide while the teams you mention thrive?

I think y'all need to get over it, if we stay the same we are destined to follow the East Coast into the grave, if we make the game more appealing we can thrive. End of the day we got not fantastic crowds with all this culture we apparently have. So let's try something different and maybe wear earplugs or something if so easily distracted?
    Actually, I think you've taken my comment a bit too far there. I think all of the innovations brought in have been great, I really like the matchday atmosphere now. However, things can always be fine-tuned, it's early days yet. Rugby has it's own strengths we can play to, if the Tongans sing, it's silly to chant over them; someone with a bit more knowledge of the sport in the director's chair, would know this. They would also understand the stoppages better and when to hit the effects button.

As I said, early days yet.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Actually, I think you've taken my comment a bit too far there. I think all of the innovations brought in have been great, I really like the matchday atmosphere now. However, things can always be fine-tuned, it's early days yet. Rugby has it's own strengths we can play to, if the Tongans sing, it's silly to chant over them; someone with a bit more knowledge of the sport in the director's chair, would know this. They would also understand the stoppages better and when to hit the effects button.

As I said, early days yet.
    the guy should have been over to the tongan area with his mike, the prick, instead of trying to get the stupid f-oo-rr--cc--e chant going over the top of them.
    the stupid bongos(?), or whatever it is they play at a line out, gets on my nerves.
    the brass band need some better and more appropriate tunes to play (ie 'you don't always get what you want' for missed penalties/conversions)
    their sound wasn't right in the first half and they looked confused as to when they were required to play.
    and WTF is australia's fascination with the mexican wave? FFS it's at least 34 years old, get over it.
    some of the entertainment during the game is ok, but the union, NRL & AFL crowds don't really get into it over here and so we have to endure the 'created' atmospheres.
    the injuries still disrupt the game, can't they get some sort of small truck and just scoop them off the field for treatment?
    sod the spinal injuries, let's keep the game flowing.

cider my arse

Senior Player
    vCash
    He should have shut up and let the crowd hear the Tongans sing
    Yes, we could hear some of that singing drifting across to E227 and it sounded truly glorious.
    Wish the MC had not been so impolite as to talk over their singing.

We share a church with a Samoan congregation, whose singing is out of this world.
    So hopefully the Samoan community of Perth will be in fine voice at the Force vs Samoa match and someone will have tutored the MC on when it is appropriate to talk and when it is appropriate to shut up.