Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Super Rugby 2022

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Ex-All Blacks skipper issues dire warning about Aussie Super Rugby

found it here

Australia’s professional rugby union sides need to improve or next year’s inaugural Super Rugby Pacific tournament could be hurt by a lack of competition, says former All Blacks captain Kieran Read. Governing body SANZAAR on Monday confirmed the twelve-team tournament would kick off in 2022, bringing Pacific islands teams into the southern hemisphere provincial competition for the first time.

New Zealand’s teams won 23 of 25 games against their Australian opponents in Super Rugby Trans-Tasman, underlining the gulf between the nations’ rugby structures. “If you look across the board at the competition next year, you’re going to probably look at a 90 per cent, 80 per cent win rate for New Zealand teams,” said Read, the former All Blacks No8, to New Zealand broadcaster Sky Sport.

“That is not great for the competition and it’s not going to be great for the guys playing the games. So, we do need Australia to step up and hopefully improve their performances.”

Organisers appear to have anticipated a one-sided competition with a format that allows eight teams to qualify for playoffs, ensuring at least one Australian team will feature in the postseason. Media pundits have floated the idea of a player draft to allow Australian sides to recruit New Zealand talent but New Zealand Rugby (NZR) ruled that out in the short term.

“Whilst we really want to make this competition as exciting as possible, of course as the governing body you have to keep an eye on the strength of our All Blacks, which is also pivotal to our strength as an overall rugby nation,” said NZR high performance boss Chris Lendrum.

However, New Zealand will give a helping hand to Moana Pasifika, which will have mainly Samoan and Tongan players but be based in New Zealand. Moana Pasifika would be allowed to recruit three New Zealand players, including capped All Blacks, New Zealand players union boss Rob Nichol said.

“You could see up to three players… contracted to New Zealand Rugby and then seconded to play for Moana Pasifika,” Nichol told radio station SENZ.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I think it's pretty good that NZRU are giving a helping hand to struggling Unions such as Samoa, Tonga and Australia.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Easy to point the finger, but no ideas for a solution provided

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Did any of these "media pundits" ever suggest a player draft before the Tahs became as useless as tits on a bull??

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Did any of these "media pundits" ever suggest a player draft before the Tahs became as useless as tits on a bull??
    I would suggest most of them preferred the feeder team model, "let them learn the game in Perth or Melbourne so we don't have to pay them, then call them home as we need them”

C'mon the

vCash
    Blues, Crusaders and Hurricanes at home in 2022, getting excited already

NZ leg will then be Chiefs, Highlanders and Monoa Pacific

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Blues, Crusaders and Hurricanes at home in 2022, getting excited already

NZ leg will then be Chiefs, Highlanders and Monoa Pacific
    Where did you see that?

vCash
    Lealiifano set to sign with Moana Pasifika - This is s fantastic signing IMO. Although they will be based in Auckland, signing more similar PI players with history in Australian franchises will add big numbers to attendances. Particularly with matches played at Parra Stadium and the like. Anyone who has watched the rise and rise of PI teams in RL Internationals will know what I mean. I reckon the first full Test between Samoa & Tonga in Auckland featuring all NRL players a couple of years back was right up there with the best atmospheres I've seen in either code anywhere.

Moana Pasifika have made their first star signing, with former Wallabies playmaker Christian Lealiifano set to join the new Super Rugby franchise for its debut season.

The Herald can reveal Lealiifano is set to be announced as the club’s franchise star as early as next week.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...11-p58yy5.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    What do people think about a Captain for 2022. Prior for Club Captain, and Godwin for team Captain?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Transiting View Post
    What do people think about a Captain for 2022. Prior for Club Captain, and Godwin for team Captain?
    Possibly Stander. He's been the on-field captain when Prior has gone off in the past, and I think for some Spirit games. Although with FLW, Anstee & Koteka (plus Callan) fighting for the back-row spots Stander might not be guaranteed a starting sport, either.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Transiting View Post
    Good call, Prior unlikley to start many games and may miss the bench a couple of times as well.

Kyle is likely to start most games when fit and besides being a WA product he has a good nature and interacts well with fans in particular the younger ones. (an added plus is that some of the Brumby recruits will be familiar with him as well)

Like last year with Kyle captain and some older heads floating in and out of the match day squads like Thrush, Holmes, Kahui, Prior, and Stander for guidance and support, I think he would be the right pick

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Really liking the rugby that Hawke's Bay is playing in this year's NZ Rugby.
    Coached by Mark Ozich - WF's new Attack Coach for 2022.
    Things are looking good!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 18-10-21 at 07:57.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Go the Magpies

They are looking good andrewg, plus they have had The Log for over a year which will be on the line this Saturday against Waikato at 2.05pm WST.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    TBH the NPC has a bit of an "exhibition match" feel without the Auckland teams. Personally a little disappointed not seeing the initial impact RT-S might have had. OTOH the performances of "our boy" Manassa have been encouraging.

vCash
    Super Rugby Pacific: Revised draw expected next week

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-strikes-again

Oh yeh; If any of youse are wondering why The AB's copped a few of beatings this year; well it's our fault for being such piss-weak opposition. Who saw that one coming?

We miss playing South Africa in Super Rugby!

https://www.msn.com/en-za/sport/othe...gby/ar-AARKD5L

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast