Thread: Forwards coach Duffy to depart for opportunity in native Ireland

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Forwards coach Duffy to depart for opportunity in native Ireland

Tue, May 28, 2024, 9:00 PM
    Ben Somerford

The Western Force advises that forwards coach Jimmy Duffy will depart the Club at the end of June for family reasons, taking up a coaching opportunity in his native Ireland.

Duffy has spent almost two years with the Force, working closely with the Super Rugby side’s forward pack, leading set-pieces, bringing world class knowledge and coaching of the game and genuine care for the players and staff around him.

He will next take up an assistant coaching role with Irish United Rugby Championship side Ulster in his homeland.

Duffy said: “I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Force, making lifelong friends, living in a brilliant place and working at a fantastic Club.

“For family reasons, we’ve taken the decision to move back to Ireland. The Force has meant a lot to me and I’ve loved my time here. I know I’ll remain connected with the club.”

Force general manager of rugby Chris Goodman was glowing in his praise for Duffy and his tenure at the Club.

Goodman said: “Jimmy has provided invaluable and world-class service to the Force Super Rugby set-up over the past two years.

“We know we will stay connected with Jimmy, given he has developed long-lasting relationships with our staff and players and has become a treasured member of the organisation.

“We wish him well in his new role and for his young family upon their return to Ireland.”

Might be an opportunity for Mike Cron to keep his hand in during the off season...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think Jimmy's done pretty well, but am also excited to see who steps up in his place.

(are there any Aussies who would make a good forwards coach and not currently occupied?)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I think Jimmy's done pretty well, but am also excited to see who steps up in his place.

(are there any Aussies who would make a good forwards coach and not currently occupied?)
    I think it is Guy Shepherdson that is currently running the Aus U20's. Or he might be Aus Schools.
    It's hard to track down Assistant Coach articles.
    Whoever it is, they are performing really well and deserves a look at after the upcoming U20 World Championship.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

I agree that Jimmy has set up an excellent platform. Recruitment for this will be influential in getting some of the forwards to put pen to paper, I would think. If the Force has aspirations of dominating the Blues, Chiefs, and Canes packs, they will need an outstanding forwards coach.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    I agree that Jimmy has set up an excellent platform. Recruitment for this will be influential in getting some of the forwards to put pen to paper, I would think. If the Force has aspirations of dominating the Blues, Chiefs, and Canes packs, they will need an outstanding forwards coach.
    Nick Stiles is out of a job.

not convinced he ticks ALL the boxes, but he has a way of getting Qlders to commit, which would dovetail nicely into Crono's clear ability to attract from NSW.

C'mon the