Page 46 of 70 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    One of the opening tenets of this competition was the alignment of time zones. I iked that. If games are scheduled north/south, rather than all over the map, then broadcast schedules are easier and travel is lessened. Jet lag becomes a thing of the past.

Newcastle, Western Sydney and Queensland should play in a seperate conference (hopefully that word doesn't offend) and play in a club challenge finals series with all winners of each time zone.
    Conferences aren't a dirty word in my opinion. In fact, the original implementation of them in SR made sense and actually worked out quite well. It was the changes made to fit the Sunwolves, Jaguares and Kings in that completely cocked things up by not looking at it logically. The Kings should have joined the SA conference, the Sunwolves the Australian conference and the Jaguares the NZ (thanks to the direct flights between Auckland and BA).

So if we see two or even three more Aus based teams then working on some kind of conference system really wouldn't be that much of an issue as long as it's done logically. But the time zone issue really isn't one even with added Aus teams. Jet lag would be minimal when on needing to cross two time zones at most.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    For this competition to succeed it needs a solid anchor of teams ideally from one nation. It makes sense for that to be Australia in my opinion.
    A solid anchor of teams from Australia would be run by and for RA, whether we like it or not. I agree there needs to be a solid underpinning, and for mine it should be Japan. It is GRR at the moment, there was talk of Japan doing its own competition when the Sunwolves were axed...to me, it was all talking about the same competition. But it has to be by and for the Asian countries, first and foremost. That was all the talk when WSR started, that is what Asian Rugby and WR bought into, and it worries me that it now seems to be becoming every man and his dog, team du jour.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    You are 100% on the money there Andy.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    A solid anchor of teams from Australia would be run by and for RA, whether we like it or not. I agree there needs to be a solid underpinning, and for mine it should be Japan. It is GRR at the moment, there was talk of Japan doing its own competition when the Sunwolves were axed...to me, it was all talking about the same competition. But it has to be by and for the Asian countries, first and foremost. That was all the talk when WSR started, that is what Asian Rugby and WR bought into, and it worries me that it now seems to be becoming every man and his dog, team du jour.
    From the beginning they've held that the ownership of these teams are open ended so there's no reason extra Australian teams would have to be run by RA. Japan would be a solid anchor if there was anything solid in the way of news and information coming out of it. There's not ever a guarantee there will be a team entering GRR from the country next season.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    As maybe, but they would be. WSR talked about a team from NSW, but the NSWRU put the bash on it because they weren't ready. And that was apparently only right, because apparently they have to be ready...so involved. Can't see why a team from Q'ld wouldn't be exactly the same, so that is then NSWRU and QRU with their fingers in it all. And in case you missed it, we've just been told that "to be a legitimate competition RA must sign off on every professional rugby game played in Australia". Involve those two Unions and give RA power of yea/nay over all of the matches in Australia, what do you think you have...?

You'd want to have all their balls tightly locked in a bag before you'd even think about involving them for mine.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Yes much better without the announcers constantly gabbling. But the music is still way over the top - I reckon if they could fade it out just before the scrums & lineouts, otherwise its just deafening. They still managed to fuck up the Force chant tho.
    Bro, they would fade it out on the feed of the scrum for most of the game, what more do you want?

I think as far as the Australian involvement is concerned, it seems to be where we and the Easterners diverge. We've seen the rubbish that comes with the politics over there, and we're not really too keen to let them bring that poison back in no matter how keen they seem.

Personally I think it should be a long long time before they are allowed a team and it needs to be when a complete restructure of Australian Rugby has occurred without any of the politics. So, essentially impossible.

Last edited by BLR; 13-04-19 at 21:43.

Champion
    vCash
    Western Sydney and Queensland would be great.
    I also saw that reference to Queensland. That is a story I have not heard before. That is in the West story about Twiggy and GRR, but Nick Taylor does not appear to be actually quoting Twiggy, but we assume that is his source.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881167979z

Maybe Twiggy has bought the Reds? Or the Reds are next on the Super chopping block? The Brisbane Broncos are going to switch codes?

Any other speculation?

vCash

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good press while Andrew Forrest was in Hong Kong.

Asia-friendly and growing: Forrest's rapid rugby revolution

AFP 22 Apr 2019

Mining billionaire Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest has hailed the first foray into Asia of his new rapid-form, high octane version of rugby

Australian billionaire Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest has hailed the first foray into Asia of his new rapid-form, high octane version of rugby and is convinced it can take the continent by storm.

Global Rapid Rugby was hatched after Forrest was outraged by his beloved Perth club Western Force being given the boot by Super Rugby in 2017, despite having the second best record of the five Australian sides in the southern hemisphere club competition that season.

The passionate rugby fan was so disillusioned with the way the game was being run in Australia that he decided to start his own competition.

Forrest's brainchild will comprise eight teams from Perth, east Asia and the Pacific islands and the new format is currently touring to gain a head of steam ahead of the first full season launch in March 2020.
    "Today was the litmus test to see two Asian sides come head-to-head for the first time," the mining magnate told AFP after jetting into Hong Kong for Sunday's match between the South China Tigers and Singapore's Asia Pacific Dragons.
    The Tigers, who represent not just Hong Kong but also the neighbouring Chinese province of Guangdong, won 29-19 in the fourth of a series of showcase matches -- and the first to be held outside Australia.

- Evolving game -
    Likened to rugby's version of Twenty20 cricket, match time has been cut to 70 minutes with radical new rules such the outlawing of direct defensive kicks to touch and an innovative nine-point "power try" if a scoring move starts behind a team's own 22-metre line.
    The time allowed for scrums and lineouts has been squeezed and 10 rolling substitutes are designed to keep the action free-flowing.
    "It is a game that is Asia-friendly," Forrest insisted.

A healthy crowd turned out at Hong Kong's compact Aberdeen Sports Ground to see stars such as former England Test wing Tom Varndell and Fiji's Olympic gold medallist Samisoni Viriviri. "We have a growing fanbase," said Forrest.

Global Rapid Rugby has evolved from Forrest's inaugural concept of World Series Rugby in Perth last year -- initially dubbed the Indo-Pacific Championship -- which featured three teams from Australia and five from Asia-Pacific.

This year there are six sides involved in a showcase series: Western Force, the Dragons, the Tigers, a World XV, Fijian Latui and Kagifa Samoa.

The plan is launch the first full Global Rapid Rugby season of eight teams in March next year with interest also shown by Japan, Malaysia, South Korea and China in hosting franchises.
    As with any journey of exploration, there have been bumps along the road, not least having to delay the launch until 2020 because of a "tight time frame and the intricacies of a World Cup year".

Nevertheless the mining magnate sees Asia's inaugural hosting of a Rugby World Cup in Japan later this year as an opportunity to build momentum and attract some big names to his own venture.
    "Post World Cup there will be heaps of players who will not be playing for their national sides but will want to keep going," he said.

- Marquee players -
    "Would we support clubs in identifying and signing marquee players? Yes we would."
    Names bandied about for Global Rapid Rugby next season have even included All Blacks legend Dan Carter, but Forrest would not be drawn into naming any individual targets.

He was keen to emphasise that he is not bankrolling Global Rapid Rugby as a vanity project.
    "I'm in it for however long it takes to make it successful," said the man who consistently ranks in the top 10 richest Australians and had a net worth estimated last year at $4.4 billion.
    And to make his vision sustainable he knows he needs to develop a base of Asian players and a culture of social rugby to develop fan loyalty and support.

"We need to build the game's social infrastructure. We want to start from the ground up in Asia," he said.
    "The next thing we will do is move into schools.
    "We are determined to bring in schools to playing rapid rugby, not to go head-to-head with existing rugby but to complement it."

vCash
    A healthy crowd turned out at Hong Kong's compact Aberdeen Sports Ground to see stars such as former England Test wing Tom Varndell and Fiji's Olympic gold medallist Samisoni Viriviri. "We have a growing fanbase," said Forrest.

a healthy crowd?
    if you took away the people paid to be there and the vip freeloaders...................not a lot of people.
    maybe he meant that nobody turned up that were ill?

cider my arse

Champion
    vCash
    I was pleased to see Twiggy in action at the Hong Kong game. Probably meeting and greeting the movers and shakers in HK and China.
    I also noticed a lot of ads for FMG around the ground. Interesting?

I also noticed they used Honey Badger for a pre-game ad for GRR and for interviews.
    Perhaps the start of a media blitz and rugby personalities endorsing GRR to come in the next 11 months?

I know Hodgo is hosting a World Cup supporters tour. I hope Twiggy is there to attract attention to GRR and sign player and team contracts etc.

"I'm in it for however long it takes to make it successful," said the man

Player
    vCash
    So, Japanese participation may not be as guaranteed as many may have hoped. Apparently their are discussions going on in regards to a restructure of the Japanese system such as removing the Top League structure from under the auspices of the JFRU, setting up a 3 division system with each division featuring 8 teams and a shift in season starting in January and going through to May. All to be implemented in 2021. If that happens it could seriously affect any potential Japanese involvement.

Also, over on G&GR a Russian bloke has come on and suggested two teams from Krasnoysk would be good fit. Krasny-Yar and Eisnei-STM are two of the leading teams in the Russian Professional Rugby League and according to him the weather shouldn't be too much of a hindrance. It's also in a fairly good timezone. Only 1 hour behind Perth. Thoughts?

vCash
    I'd gladly send de Clyne to Siberia, I'm sure Putin has kept a few gulags going, not so sure about sending the Force there. Weather? An early season match in March might be a bit chilly - quite possibly below zero if Wikipedia is correct

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I'd gladly send de Clyne to Siberia, I'm sure Putin has kept a few gulags going, not so sure about sending the Force there. Weather? An early season match in March might be a bit chilly - quite possibly below zero if Wikipedia is correct
    Can range between -5 to 10C throughout March apparently according to this bloke. They could play their first couple of games each season away. I don't know how realistic it would be but it certainly would be interesting to see.

Senior Player
    vCash
    a 3 division system with each division featuring 8 teams and a shift in season starting in January and going through to May. All to be implemented in 2021.
    You've missed somthing in that description, WCR ...

Page 46 of 70 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 ... LastLast