(Awesome news and hopefully the first of a few shared players going forward with the Ballymore Base. There are plenty of examples of female players having played both, but generally having to choose one or the other each season, not alternating during a season. A good example of this currently is Canadas Olivia Apps. Most of the SVNS Series is during SR, with players then going into off-season during the XV's Test Program. If not for the Olympics the Aus Sevens Squad would be stood down at the moment, or being picked over by NRLW)

Tue, Jun 25, 2024, 12:13 PM
Darren Walton - AAP

by Darren Walton - AAP

Feeling at the peak of her powers, sevens superstar Charlotte Caslick is plotting a shock switch to the 15-a-side game with a grand plan of playing at next year's Women's Rugby World Cup.

Australia's most decorated sevens player, Caslick is very much eyeing a second Olympic gold medal in Paris in six weeks' time after stealing the show in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.

But the 29-year-old has shot down any talk of riding off into the sunset if she can lead Australia once again to Games glory, revealing a burning desire to represent the Wallaroos at the 2025 global showpiece in England.

Caslick hasn't played 15-a-side rugby since she was 18 in Brisbane but says she's ready to answer an SOS call from Wallaroos coach Jo Yapp.

"If we win a gold medal, I'd also love to play fifteens maybe and try and get to a World Cup in that," the classy back told AAP.

"The Wallaroos coaches come in to ask which girls are keen to play, but we'll probably, like, restart those conversations after Paris.

"They obviously want us to focus on Paris and then, after that, maybe (I'll) look at going to play a few games for the Wallaroos or just go into some training camps and stuff.

"So I'll just keep my options open. I think like playing in the World Cup in England would be pretty incredible."

Contracted to RA for two more years, Caslick would "love to play forever."

"Obviously, being a female, I also want to have a family at some stage," she said.

"But we're lucky that the program allows you to do both, if that's what you want."

In helping Australia to win the World Series final in Madrid this month, Caslick said she clocked the fastest times of her life during the tournament and "it was really exciting".

"It was like 8.8 metres per second. Not as fast as Madi Levi but, for a halfback at 29, it's pretty good."

"So, yeah, we're super lucky. Our strength and conditioning coach Tom Carter is incredible.

"He sort of knows individually what we all need to do and helps us get there.

"So having him has definitely helped me, probably prolonged my career a bit.

"Just sort of like where my life is, yeah, I feel good."