Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steenkamp departure clears way for Grant

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Steenkamp departure clears way for Grant

Nick Taylor
    July 2, 2015, 7:47 am

It is understood Steenkamp, who signed with the Force for three years in 2014, will be released from the final year of his contract.

The move would open the door for former Springbok fly-half Peter Grant as a replacement for fellow South African Sias Ebersohn, who has already been released.

Lock Steenkamp had limited game time last season and did not produce the form coaches were hoping from the former emerging Springbok who moved to Perth after playing for the Bulls, Sharks and Cheetahs.

The Force can have three overseas Test players and Grant would join former All Black scrum-half Alby Mathewson and Tongan forward Steve Mafi.

Steenkamp’s departure also means coach Michael Foley needs at least one new second-rower, with Sam Wykes off to Red Sparks in Japan.

He could use Mafi but that would limit his explosive open play from blindside flanker.

Overseas development player Ebersohn was released from the last two years of his deal and returned to the Cheetahs after being told the Force wanted an experienced playmaker to guide a young back line next season.

Foley wants a new No.10 who can adapt under pressure. He has had discussions with Grant, a former Stormers playmaker, who has family in Perth. He left French club La Rochelle last month for family reasons.

The Force have also expressed an interest in Wallabies fly-half Quade Cooper after Queensland ended contract talks and are closing in on Wallabies and Reds centre Ben Tapuai.

Tapuai has played seven Tests and the Force first chased him after he made his international debut in 2011 on the tour of Britain.

The club needs a straight-running, tough-tackling midfielder and Tapuai can play inside and outside centre. He has also played fly-half and has some experience at full-back.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...way-for-grant/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    The club needs a straight-running, tough-tackling midfielder and Tapuai can play inside and outside centre. He has also played fly-half and has some experience at full-back.

But anybody who'se looking at him to play anything other than 13 for the Force doesn't know rugby!

C'mon the

vCash
    HE'S A DECENT KICKER TOO ISN'T HE?

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

Foley wants a new No.10 who can adapt under pressure.
    Was this not a requirement for Foley's previous No 10's?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agrugger View Post
    Was this not a requirement for Foley's previous No 10's?
    Perhaps we have seen one reason why he has basically taken a broom to the flyhalves in the club!

Another might be an inability or refusal to implement game plans as instructed (at least I hope so, because if they were under instruction to play like that then the coach needs to go not the players)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Perhaps we have seen one reason why he has basically taken a broom to the flyhalves in the club!

Another might be an inability or refusal to implement game plans as instructed (at least I hope so, because if they were under instruction to play like that then the coach needs to go not the players)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I think the first bit fell off.
    Western Force marquee signing Wilhelm Steenkamp is set to join French Top 14 club Brive next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Nick Taylor
    July 2, 2015, 7:47 am

It is understood Steenkamp, who signed with the Force for three years in 2014, will be released from the final year of his contract.

The move would open the door for former Springbok fly-half Peter Grant as a replacement for fellow South African Sias Ebersohn, who has already been released.

Lock Steenkamp had limited game time last season and did not produce the form coaches were hoping from the former emerging Springbok who moved to Perth after playing for the Bulls, Sharks and Cheetahs.

The Force can have three overseas Test players and Grant would join former All Black scrum-half Alby Mathewson and Tongan forward Steve Mafi.

Steenkamp’s departure also means coach Michael Foley needs at least one new second-rower, with Sam Wykes off to Red Sparks in Japan.

He could use Mafi but that would limit his explosive open play from blindside flanker.

Overseas development player Ebersohn was released from the last two years of his deal and returned to the Cheetahs after being told the Force wanted an experienced playmaker to guide a young back line next season.

Foley wants a new No.10 who can adapt under pressure. He has had discussions with Grant, a former Stormers playmaker, who has family in Perth. He left French club La Rochelle last month for family reasons.

The Force have also expressed an interest in Wallabies fly-half Quade Cooper after Queensland ended contract talks and are closing in on Wallabies and Reds centre Ben Tapuai.

Tapuai has played seven Tests and the Force first chased him after he made his international debut in 2011 on the tour of Britain.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...way-for-grant/

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder what affect Peter Grant playing back to back Super Rugby and Japanese rugby had on his form. He was the goods back in 2010 but he then started to become progressively more average which coincides with starting in Japan. Maybe a full off season will do him good.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I wonder what affect Peter Grant playing back to back Super Rugby and Japanese rugby had on his form. He was the goods back in 2010 but he then started to become progressively more average which coincides with starting in Japan. Maybe a full off season will do him good.
    Agree. Double duty didn't help the badger that's for sure

vCash
    Wonder what it'll do to Folau!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Agree. Double duty didn't help the badger that's for sure
    I'm not sure that's correct, never seeing the footy unless he performs the clean out himself what's what rogered his season.

C'mon the

vCash
    Agree. But I think he was also off his usual pace, he was out run or chased down by blokes who he shouldn't have been.
    I think the poor bugger is maybe a bit burnt out? Hope he gets fit for Japan again.

vCash
    meh to Grant. He will probably solve our goal kicking problem but he played the majority of his time at the stormers and their play over a period over time has mirrored ours - all defence no attack. Not sure he will play much different to Sias, plus he is taking up a marquee spot. I'll gladly eat my shorts Bart Simpson style if he does tear it up here though.

So now that Steenkamp has gone we need to sign two locks, probably an up and comer who can still develop and make a home in Perth and one with loads of experience. Not sure who is out there that fits the bill. Without knowing the internal machinations of the transfer merry-go-round our recruitment right at this point seems just a tad ad hoc. Hope there is a method to the madness.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    To be fair Grant is a whole lot better at that game than Sias is.

Regarding locks, I don't know exactly what is in the cupboard in Australia, the country seems pretty thin on experienced, high quality locks at the moment, just look at the Wallaby squad for the proof.

If there isn't a superstar development player in (probably) South Africa for us we might be going with an old bull like MMM or a couple of green kiddies to back up Coleman (who should play every minute he's able at this point)

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Nonetheless, it does smell a lot like they think there was nothing wrong with the game plan or approach, it was all down to Ebersohn's ability to execute it so they are looking for someone better at doing exactly the same thing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast