Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One-city 'Super Round' confirmed as part of trans-Tasman competition

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

One-city 'Super Round' confirmed as part of trans-Tasman competition

Tom Decent 1 hour ago

Officials have locked in a six-week Super Rugby trans-Tasman competition to run from May 14 until June 19 which features a special 'Super Round' with all five Australia and five New Zealand teams doing battle in one location.

As revealed by the Herald earlier this week, Rugby Australia and New Zealand Rugby have been working towards a trans-Tasman tournament that will take place after their respective domestic Super Rugby tournaments.

Starting a week after Super Rugby AU, the competition gets under way on Friday, May 14. The five matches in each round will be played on Fridays and Saturdays.

While dates and locations are yet to be 100 per cent confirmed, the rough round one draw shows the Waratahs hosting the Hurricanes, the Western Force taking on the Chiefs in Perth and the Melbourne Rebels doing battle with the Blues.

The Brumbies and Queensland Reds are likely to begin their campaigns across the ditch with fixtures against the Crusaders and Highlanders respectively.

Australia's five teams will all take part in five matches against Kiwi opposition.

Every side will play two home games and two away games, as well as being involved in a ‘Super Round' that has been set down for round three in one location on May 28 and 29.

The extra home games provide further financial relief for Super Rugby franchises.

Australian teams may be forced to make two separate trips across to New Zealand depending on the draw but every effort will go to ensuring as little travel occurs as possible, particularly for the Western Force given their location.

The two highest ranked teams, irrespective of whether they are Australian or New Zealand, will square off in a final on June 19.

All 26 matches will be show live and ad-free on Stan Sport, while one match per weekend will be live on the Nine Network.

"This is a truly historic day for rugby in the southern hemisphere, with the first-ever Australian and New Zealand Super Rugby competition," Rugby Australia interim chief executive Rob Clarke said.

"This will generate enormous excitement across both countries with some of the best players in the world set to challenge each other after the conclusion of Super Rugby AU and Super Rugby Aotearoa.

"It will be a really exciting new product for our 2021 broadcast partners, Stan and Nine, and I know fans right around the world will be glued to their screens and devices to watch it all.

"The Super Round is also great initiative with one lucky city to host all 10 teams on one weekend in a Super Rugby extravaganza."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...?ocid=msedgntp

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    A fantastic solution for everyone IMHO

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I’m putting my money on Melbourne as that “one lucky city”, particularly given that Rob Clarke is the RA CEO.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    I reckon the Super Round should be played in Suva (if COVID19 regulations allow). It means a neutral venue for all teams (well probably a home round for the NZ teams ) and I think the rugby passion in Fiji means it could be a great festival weekend of rugby.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I’m putting my money on Melbourne as that “one lucky city”, particularly given that Rob Clarke is the RA CEO.
    You really gotta try and let it go Alison.

and BTW His name is Voldemort or He Who Shall Not Be Named.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    You really gotta try and let it go Alison.
    Jeez, I might have a foot in both camps on this issue

I was calling that the "one lucky city" would be Sydney, but Alison does make a pretty good point.

C'mon the

vCash
    We also have to remember that the Vic Government have given the ARU several million dollars to ensure (a) that the Rebels stayed in SR and (b) that Melbourne would get a number of test matches. With COVID, they have not got full bang for their buck so far. A valid point that I’m sure the Vic Govt will be reminding Rob Clarke and Hamish M about.

And just to remind everyone of the numbers, it is my understanding that the Vic Government committed around $18million to the ARU in 2017. Of that, around $13.5million was to be kept by the ARU and $4.5million used by the ARU to fund the Melbourne Rebels. It is believed that around $8.4million of the total gift was under the terms of a major events package (read test matches).

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    First up - I hope everyone knows that I am not having a go at Alison. She is a friend who's opinion I value highly.

Secondly. I would like everyone to have a think and answer this question. Has "He who shall not be named" done anything as CEO to continue the belief that he is secretly or openly working specifically for the benefit of the Melbourne Rebels. I am not talking about what happened in 2016-17. And his part in the downfall of Western Force 1.0. I know some don't want to hear this but, it would appear that he is and has done a very good job as CEO, and as such is no longer deserving of the snide remarks and underhanded comments from some.

Thirdly. From a Smart Rugby point of view. Brisbane and Suncorp Stadium is the obvious choice for the Super Rugby Extravaganza. Look at the numbers they got for Bledisloe 4 in comparison to Sydney for Bledisloe 3.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Suncorp is not a good idea. Poor pitch and it cut up for magic round in the NRL. Throw in proper scrums and longer stocks cutting it up.

Having it in NZ we don’t know if we can enter NZ when the matches go ahead.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Player
    vCash
    I write this from a position of relative ignorance, an with greatest respect
    but...

Question 2 - how Do we know what clarke is still doing re the rebels ? He could be shredding as we speak.
    B- It depends on whether you look on events as a businessman , in which case you move on without emotion, to the next battle
    Or a as a rusted on and much shat on fan
    In which case you never forget .

vCash
    Fantasy idea? That the Super Round is a carnival day at Adelaide Oval. Even with only sub 30k at that ground, it has a hell of an atmosphere, and the festivities around the ground on match days are second to none. I don't think that will happen though.

Other option? Take it to Japan. 3 Super Rugby games Saturday; 2 on Sunday with a Japan test match as the final game of the weekend- 3 games for each day. I can't see that happening either, with the treatment of the SunWolves the way it was.

Otherwise? Might be a nice last hurrah for the Olympic stadium before it gets demolished.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I had it as Sydney or Auckland.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Fantasy idea? That the Super Round is a carnival day at Adelaide Oval. Even with only sub 30k at that ground, it has a hell of an atmosphere, and the festivities around the ground on match days are second to none. I don't think that will happen though.

Other option? Take it to Japan. 3 Super Rugby games Saturday; 2 on Sunday with a Japan test match as the final game of the weekend- 3 games for each day. I can't see that happening either, with the treatment of the SunWolves the way it was.

Otherwise? Might be a nice last hurrah for the Olympic stadium before it gets demolished.
    It really would depend on when International travel starts up again. NZ or Australia would be the safe bet at this stage depending on no major outbreaks.

The cross Tasman comp doesn't start until May so there's a lot of time between then and now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post

No rush. That's been canned.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    No rush. That's been canned.
    No renovation even?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast