Thread: Western Force add home grown openside flanker Kane Koteka to squad for upcoming seaso

Champion
    vCash

Western Force add home grown openside flanker Kane Koteka to squad for upcoming seaso

More good news. Anyone get past the paywall?

Western Force add home grown openside flanker Kane Koteka to squad for upcoming season
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Friday, 12 June 2020 3:54PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Getting the gang together!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Getting the gang together!
    On a mission from God.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Kane Belushi?

vCash
    Or maybe Sushi?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Got it

Western Force add home grown openside flanker Kane Koteka to squad for upcoming season
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Friday, 12 June 2020 3:54PM

Western Force have added more home grown talent, openside flanker Kane Koteka, to bolster their squad for the new Super Rugby competition.
    Koteka, 26, was the first member of the Future Force academy to graduate to the Super side in 2015 and made 11 appearances.
    He has been playing for Japanese club Kamaishi Seawaves.
    Koteka’s signing comes on the back of the Force snatching another local product, versatile back Kyle Godwin, from under the noses of the Waratahs after a stint at Pro 14 Irish club Connacht.
    They have also brought back fly-half Jono Lance for his second stint at the club and added 27-Wallaby Test veteran prop Greg Holmes, who played 144 Super Rugby games for the Reds, from UK club Exeter Chiefs.
    Godwin and Holmes are in quarantine after flying in from the UK on Thursday night and Lance arrived from Queensland last night.
    Coach Tim Sampson said all three bring experience the Force will need when they face Australia’s four Super Rugby sides.
    “Greg will give us really good depth on the tighthead side,” Sampson said.
    “He has been playing exceptionally well with the Exeter Chiefs and was highly regarded in that competition.
    “We are going to get a lot of pay out of his knowledge and experience.
    “I remember watching Kyle when he played for the Force before. He is a really composed character and that’s crucial.
    “He has played from No.10, through the midfield, on the wing and at full-back for Connacht.
    “He is happy to be that sort of utility player. His experience in the backline is going to be huge.”
    Lance, who can play fly-half and full-back, was due to move from English club Worcester Warriors to Pro14 side Edinburgh but the deal collapsed because he could not get a UK visa.
    Meanwhile Sampson welcomed new law variations that will be used in the competition and include 10 minutes extra time to decide a draw, goal-line drop outs, and red card replacements allowing a different player on the field after 20 minutes.
    Dropouts will be taken from the try line instead of the 22m line to encourage more short attacking kick options, there will be 50/22 and 22/50 kicks and the elimination of 22m marks.
    The Force have already played under similar law tweaks in Global Rapid Rugby and when they won last season’s National Rugby Championship.
    “The red card one I like. I think that’s important and golden point adds to the drama which is always good,” Sampson said.

vCash
    Wow, they really are bringing the old firm together!

It's good to see another local boy in kane coming back, but I'm not sure there's a gap in his position. With the current crop of backrowers, therell be some titanic battles for selection!

It's fantastic news that jono has been confirmed as it covers one of our real problem areas, hopefully that's pretty much the list, because any more makes the statement about keeping faith with the current boys a bit empty. I'm fine for jobs to be offered to local boys who are in need, but we don't want a squad of 45 with original force men relegated to holding tackle bags.

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Wow, they really are bringing the old firm together!

It's good to see another local boy in kane coming back, but I'm not sure there's a gap in his position. With the current crop of backrowers, therell be some titanic battles for selection!

It's fantastic news that jono has been confirmed as it covers one of our real problem areas, hopefully that's pretty much the list, because any more makes the statement about keeping faith with the current boys a bit empty. I'm fine for jobs to be offered to local boys who are in need, but we don't want a squad of 45 with original force men relegated to holding tackle bags.
    I wonder if Twiggy has told Tim Sampson "recruit as many as you need to win the trophy for the Sea of Blue"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I wonder if Twiggy has told Tim Sampson "recruit as many as you need to win the trophy for the Sea of Blue"
    It does seem to like that’s the case! Mindaroo aren’t looking to hold any punches by the look LOL!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    It would be interesting to know how long they have been signed for. I expect it is just for 2020 Super Rugby and not beyond. These "potential" Wallabies will need to start or play a lot of minutes, as no doubt that is one of the main reason they are playing this comp, to identify the national squad. Sure that will upset some fans that want to reward loyalty to the club but we must also remember or squad is a GRR squad and there is no GRR this year. All those loyal players will get their chance in what they signed up for next year. This stop gap Super Rugby must be played for what it is intended to be, which is basically a fulfilment on contractual obligations and national talent identification exercise. The best players must play and we'll have a chance at pissing the east off big time.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Only one question about you post TIF, is super rugby au a fulfilment of contract obligations for the force?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    No GIGS, it is a RA commitment to have five teams in the Australian Conference, remember that was what caused the cutting of a team in the first place, on what conditions the Force opted to join we will probably never know, but no doubt it has mutual benefits for all parties. Eg - I highly doubt any of the recent signings would have happened if Wallabies selection was off the table.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I think you missed the part in the destruction of the force, where the original agreements were terminated early and replaced with new agreements that ran until the end of the first agreement.

Rugby Australia should test the five team requirement in the courts, since they are legally bound not to admit the fifth team (sun wolves) and could demonstrate through the media that they have taken all reasonable steps to fulfil the contract. They can't be done for breach of contract, they would likely get a reduction in revenue commensurate with the reduced number of matches.

Force aren't contractually obligated to anything unless they've signed a participation agreement (which I would expect has happened) so they are in control.

I would suggest it's unlikely that the force will get a cent out of competing, that would be consistent with twiggy philanthropic attitude to this and his repeated public statements that he's interested in fixing Aussie rugby. I don't think that means the teams hands are tied. If twiggy is smart he gas managed to finegle a way to have zero salary cap and unlimited squad size.

C'mon the