Thread: Force's marquee man Pretorius confident of finals berth

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force's marquee man Pretorius confident of finals berth

Article from: PerthNow

Nick Taylor, rugby writer
    June 26, 2009 05:18pm

WESTERN Force marquee signing Andre Pretorius has no doubt his new side will be finals contenders next year.
    The former Springbok five-eighth said today: "Without a doubt. I don't even have to think about it."

Speaking from Johannesburg where he is training with the Golden Lions for South Africa's Currie Cup competition, Pretorius said he was looking forward to forming a partnership with teenager James O'Connor who is finally expected to sign with the Force next week.

And the 31-Test cap veteran believes experience is one of the greatest assets he can bring to the backline next season.

"One thing that John Mitchell spoke to me about was experience," he said.

"That is something that sometimes you take for granted as a player, but people get to know you and see that the experience is part of your make up...having experience is one thing but using it wisely is another."

Moving to Perth was a chance that rarely came along.

"Once in every 50 years a guy gets an opportunity like this and I'm in the fortunate position,'' he said.

"I see this as a big opportunity for me, an opportunity that not a lot of other players would be given.

"I'm so focussed on the opportunity that anything else is just second fiddle at the moment."

He said leaving the Lions was not a difficult decision with the club going through another re-building stage with new coaches and a big turnover of players.

"I needed a team where the infrastructure is set already and that's exactly what the Force can give you," he said.

"The Force have gone through their teething problems and were very competitive (last season),'' he said.

"A couple of results could have gone their way and they could have been in the semis. Their teething problems are over.

"They just never stopped playing. The results that went against them were narrow losses.

"I enjoyed watching their play. It was one of the teams I actually made a point of watching."

He was looking forward to playing behind the pack the Force has been building in the off season including new signings, props Matt Dunning and Tim Fairbrother.

"The thing is they seem to be quite formidable but they all seem to be ball players. That makes a big difference," he said.

"They are not just there to clean up the ball or to scrum...that's definitely something to look forward too."

Pretorius, 30, has signed a one year contract under the ARU's international player rules but the Force could offer him a further contract at the end of next season.

"I'm going to focus on the first year and get myself to the level that I know I can play and then it's up to them," he said.

"The first year, get settled, the second year is where you can actually go and perform.

"The body's feeling good. That's one of the reasons I decided that I wanted to play Super 14 for another year.

"The fitness came back in the latter part of the competition and then form came back.

"That's why I'm looking forward to next year's Super 14."

He described the professionalism of the Force during negotiations as "unbelievable".
    http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005403,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i like his mindset

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Once in every 50 years a guy gets an opportunity like this and I'm in the fortunate position,'' he said
    Or perhaps once every year while the ARU allow it...

Good to see the confidence and the positive talk of the organisation, he didn't have to say it.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    But the Force won't sign a marquee #10 every year Burgs......that's the difference, he's got his foot in the door of a team on the verge of building a dynasty. If the dynasty begins whilst he's there, he's likely to get an amount of the credit, especially since JOC might have left without him signing. He'll get plenty of clean, go forward ball from a massive front row and the all Wallaby backrow and he's passing the ball to the hottest young talent in Oz........not to mention that as a yarpie he can kick a mile and land it on a penny (coz they all seem to be able to kick like that). I can see how the probabilities narrow down to a 1 in 50 years!

C'mon the

vCash
    You'd really question him, if he said anything else...

vCash
    Well, yes, Muddy. If he turned up and said "Nah - the Force are cr*p and I'm just here to pick up a pay cheque." we'd run him out of town.

I'm impressed by his quote: "Without a doubt. I don't even have to think about it." Why did it take you two weeks to sign, then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Why did it take you two weeks to sign, then?
    SARU & ARU would've been involved, then you have negotiations over the actual amount/price of the contract. No one with a brain is going to accept the first offer!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Why did it take you two weeks to sign, then?
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    SARU & ARU would've been involved, then you have negotiations over the actual amount/price of the contract. No one with a brain is going to accept the first offer!
    The ARU also has the power to veto any Marquee Player signing as well