Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are we not allowed to congratulate people on their Birthdays?

vCash

Are we not allowed to congratulate people on their Birthdays?

I have alot of catching up to do. A few nobodies that never post here have been greeted with birthday messages by newsbot, i feel obligated to congratulate all these people who havent posted here in over a decade. But i feel like this may result in censorship, or a ban, by a few that get upset that certain people feel obligated to congratulate these non existant members. Now if it isnt considered spam for newsbot to say Happy Birthday then why is it considered spam to bump these threads and congratulate these few precious souls that have forgotten they are even members of this site?

If I see a newbot thread I will be bumping it from now on to congratulate these people, why should only newsbot be able to share these joyous ocasions with these members when I want to share this joyous ocasion with them too. If this results in a ban its pathetic as these posts werent even generated by myself. It seems i have a fair amount of catching up to do, thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

vCash
    Name:  Mr Angry.jpg
Views: 5257
Size:  21.0 KB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Twf has had birthday threads since it started.

You're the only person to object.

Some of these "nobodies" are actually somebodies. Whether or not they have posted on the forums here is irrelevant.

If you've had a change of heart and no longer object, by all means - wish folks a happy birthday if newsbot posts up a thread. These people have explicitly chosen to have their birthdays publicly listed on TWF and may enjoy the love you wish to share.

If you haven't actually had a change of heart, and are just being a dick, stop it.

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Twf has had birthday threads since it started.

You're the only person to object.

Some of these "nobodies" are actually somebodies. Whether or not they have posted on the forums here is irrelevant.

If you've had a change of heart and no longer object, by all means - wish folks a happy birthday if newsbot posts up a thread. These people have explicitly chosen to have their birthdays publicly listed on TWF and may enjoy the love you wish to share.

If you haven't actually had a change of heart, and are just being a dick, stop it.
    No they havent, stop talking out of your ass.

The birthday threads just congest and fuck up the main board and pull decent topics off the front page just so we ca say Happy Birthday to a bunch of nobodies that havent posted here in over 10 years

In other words its just unneccesary spam. Takes the shine off your page.

No need to object, ill just limit my posting here instead. Im not being a dick, you and newsbot clearly are.

This place was going alot better when newsbot didnt clog up the front page with meaningless spam drivel, just having a box saying who's birthday it was clearly had a better outcome but if you want your board to be about birthdays instead of Rugby then fine, plenty of other places to get our rugby fix than having to read that user bowfinger2 and georgeman have had their birthday today when their last post was in 2008.

But what do I know, clearly you and the cheerleaders know whats best, is it any surprise that despite GRR emerging this board is shrinking. Atleast on the facebook supporters site we arent reminded about meaningless pointleas birthdays no one even cares about, especially the ones that dont eveb list their age.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    ill just limit my posting here instead.
    That would be nice!
    Can we start a poll on who thinks Spartans (being) a dick?

FYI, you dill, Darren is the guy that dedicates his own time and money to keeping this site going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    That would be nice!
    Can we start a poll on who thinks Spartans (being) a dick?

FYI, you dill, Darren is the guy that dedicates his own time and money to keeping this site going.
    No shit, he does a great job ruining all his efforts with the birthday spam. Its just some good honest feedback, either he takes it or leaves it. Many others agree, i expect the cheerleaders to slap each others asses backing each other up over this just so they can disagree with me without using any actual logic in their thought process which is quite normal here.

vCash
    It's not hard to ignore the threads that you don't want to read.

This is the very definition of a First World Problem.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Do you need a number for a lawyer?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i expect the cheerleaders to slap each others asses backing each other up over this just so they can disagree with me without using any actual logic in their thought process which is quite normal here.
    Getting a little out of hand for something that I suspect really only started to bait Mr Angry in the first place. I know that was all my "Bring back Max Headroom" post was about. But in fact I agreed with him and intended to vote no in the poll - but messed it up somehow and don't know if I even voted at all..................anyway majority rules so - a bit of logic to appease?

Name:  Spock..jpg
Views: 5518
Size:  12.5 KB

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    It's not hard to ignore the threads that you don't want to read.

This is the very definition of a First World Problem.
    Put Newsbot on the ignore list, that way you can't tell what he/she says.

I think the threads will still appear though.

As for whether the Happy Birthday threads are justified or not, if there was a poll that decided that they return then they should return. TWF is an egalitarian community, regardless of whether certain members wish to become its overlord.

C'mon the

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I stand corrected, the Newsbot birthday threads started in 2006.
    Happy 48th Gerry!

Your singular objection had nothing to do with them stopping, and others [mockingly] requesting their return had little to do with their re-starting.

They went away after a software upgrade late last year "broke" them. When this bug (among others) was fixed, we returned to the status quo ante.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I stand corrected, the Newsbot birthday threads started in 2006.
    Happy 48th Gerry!

Your singular objection had nothing to do with them stopping, and others [mockingly] requesting their return had little to do with their re-starting.

They went away after a software upgrade late last year "broke" them. When this bug (among others) was fixed, we returned to the status quo ante.
    And hence are ruining this forum.

Well done.

The problem with ignoring newsbot is new users or unregistered users cannot ignore it. So to them this place just looks like an inactive happy birthday forum taking a step closer to being a ghost town. If a few days go by without a few new threads then the front page becomes a laughing joke totally unrelated to rugby. It does nothing to attract new users, infact all it does is discourage them. This place was at its very best when the front page was all about rugby. People still got credit for their birthdays via the left hand tool bar side box, despite their being very little purpose or the fact no one actually gives a shit when someone does have a birthday anyway, hence all the 0 replies to the spam threads by newsbot jamming up the front page right on the cusp of another rugby season.

Software issue or not, these threads dont belong here. And if we didnt have such spam we wouldnt need the InnForcer to post a bunch of random news articles no one bothers to reply to every few weeks to try and bump off all the birthday trash.

This place was WAYYY better when the software was glitching, i fail to see why anyone bothered to fix it, its just ruining the forum, and whats the point of the side bar if we get a post from newsbot every day telling us the exact same people have their birthdays, its just doubling up. A complete waste of doubling up for the sake of it.

As I said its just some honest feedback, and for thosr who think running a forum is such a big deal, well it isnt, i use to run multiple websites back in the day which all had forums, nothing hard about it at all, and not even that time consuming as they basically run on autopilot once set up, and I wouldnt be so stupid as to have a spamming newsbot ruin and fuck up all the critical threads and titles by bumping them down the page sacrificing enticing content for new users to view and potential sign up to comment on, by bumping all the good topics down the page hiding them from view making this place seem as unappetising as the RA facebook comment section on Rugby.com.au, before it was removed.

You say its a tradition Darren, but with a message board that almost died a year or so ago without pasionate posters like myself keeping it on life support maybe the Happy Biethday threads is what has killed it. No one likes to come to a board dominated by a spam bot for christ sake, how can any sane moderator not see that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Getting a little out of hand for something that I suspect really only started to bait Mr Angry in the first place. I know that was all my "Bring back Max Headroom" post was about. But in fact I agreed with him and intended to vote no in the poll - but messed it up somehow and don't know if I even voted at all..................anyway majority rules so - a bit of logic to appease?

Name:  Spock..jpg
Views: 5518
Size:  12.5 KB
    Amazingly no one actually wanted me binned mate. Lots of supporters thought you guys made a big mistake, no matter what you think my commentary is popular, you probably wouldnt know that as you think like the swarm, you have no sensr of independant thought, i feel sorry for your kind.

The poll that totally backfired. Bin the Spartan and everyone voted thumbs down as in fuck off

vCash
    Amazingly no one actually wanted me binned mate. Lots of supporters thought you guys made a big mistake, no matter what you think my commentary is popular, you probably wouldnt know that as you think like the swarm, you have no sensr of independant thought, i feel sorry for your kind.

The poll that totally backfired. Bin the Spartan and everyone voted thumbs down as in fuck off
    I know reading and comprehension is hard. You regularly seem to get so fired up that you start typing before you read things properly. So try reading my post again. It refers to the poll on whether to reinstate the Newsbot birthdays. As I said, I actually agreed with you but stuffed up my vote, I think. I don't know what way I voted now and it's immaterial anyway. I only mentioned Max Headroom initially to stir you up - and that's why other posters were getting on the birthday bandwagon in the first place I suspect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast