Wallabies set to wheel out international big guns against Springboks

By Jonathan Drennan
SMH July 21, 2024 — 4.45pm

The Wallabies are set to strengthen their squad with international reinforcements potentially including second-rower Will Skelton and winger Marika Koroibete ahead of the first Test of the Rugby Championship against South Africa next month.

Coach Joe Schmidt has selected solely domestic-based players for his first three Test victories, against Wales (twice) and Georgia, but the impending visit of the world champions to Brisbane on August 10 will force the New Zealander to cast his selection net overseas to add class to his squad.

Wallabies winger Filipo Daugunu has been yellow carded for a flying knee to the head of Georgian opposite Sandro Todua.

Speaking at the post-match press conference on Saturday after defeating Georgia 40-29 in Sydney, Schmidt confirmed he was open to bringing in overseas-based Wallabies, as long as they complemented his existing squad.

“I think we’re open to bringing guys in,” Schmidt said. “But we’ve also been impressed with the guys that we’ve had, and while the performances have ebbed and flowed and we’re frustrated by that, when we’ve flowed we’ve actually looked pretty good, I think, with the players we have.

“So if we can supplement that with a couple of guys who make a difference, that’s great – but at the same time it means leaving someone out who’s contributed really well so far, so it’s just finding the balance there and trying to build from there.”

Skelton captained the Wallabies at the World Cup, but has not played Test rugby since the opening victory over Georgia in France last September after injuring his calf in training.
Will Skelton’s return to the Wallabies would bolster their pack ahead of the challenge of the visiting Springboks

Will Skelton’s return to the Wallabies would bolster their pack ahead of the challenge of the visiting SpringboksCREDIT:GETTY

Skelton recently signed a contract extension with La Rochelle that will keep him at his French club until at least 2028.

Speaking to Rugby Pass in April, the 32-year-old highlighted his desire to return to play for the Wallabies under Schmidt.

“I have only heard good things about Joe, his resume speaks for itself. It is exciting to see someone of that calibre take us forward to be where we want to be,” Skelton said.

“He is going to bring a lot of detail to the game which may have been lacking, and it is an exciting time to be an Australian rugby player, to aspire to be in that jersey because it is a fresh start.”

Former All Black Alex Hodgman made his debut for the Wallabies against Georgia.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Koroibete has been playing under former Wallabies coach Robbie Deans in Japan for Saitama Wild Knights and last played for Australia against Portugal in the last game of the World Cup.

This masthead reported that the winger had changed his mind about retiring from the Wallabies after the World Cup due to the departure of Eddie Jones. Koroibete is currently in Australia.

South Africa have lost four players to injury after their one-point loss to Ireland in Durban last Saturday. The Springboks will arrive in Australia without second-rower Franco Mostert, winger Cheslin Kolbe, breakaway Pieter-Steph du Toit and hooker Malcolm Marx.

The Wallabies are set to announce their full Rugby Championship squad in two weeks ahead of next month’s Tests against South Africa in Brisbane and Perth.

Meanwhile, prop Alex Hodgman spoke of his pride at becoming the fourth player to represent both New Zealand and Australia in rugby union after coming on as a replacement against Georgia on Saturday.

“It’s funny because my dad actually got me and my brother Aussie passports back when we were newborns, so he was like, ‘One day this is gonna work for you’,” Hodgman said.

“So I guess it was my Dad’s plan since the start. But for myself, I just want to play as well as I can at the Reds and if something comes from it, it comes from it.

“In the past, I’ve been a person to look too far ahead and then missed the moment right in front of me.

“I kind of took a new approach to this year: let’s live moment to moment and whatever happens, happens.”

Hodgman won four caps for the All Blacks in 2020 and said that he had received support from both former club and international teammates in New Zealand after debuting for the Wallabies.

“To be honest they’re happy for me,” Hodgman said. “As players you kind of understand any opportunity you get to continue to do what you love, you’re just happy for the player or happy for each other.”

“I got a lot of love from my old Blues mates and obviously, some of the All Blacks boys and to be honest, that’s probably all I can do, be like, ‘Hey man, thanks’ and then keep moving forward.”

https://archive.is/20240721073919/ht...21-p5jv9d.html