Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force to prosper from new TV deal

Champion
    vCash

Force to prosper from new TV deal

This is interesting

Force to prosper from new TV deal

Nick Taylor

Western Force’s Future Force academy will be tripled in size as the club gets back on a firm financial footing with a boost from the Australian Rugby Union’s new $285 million TV contract.

The academy, established last year, currently has four graduates. That will be increased to 12 in 2016, with four or five players expected to come from local ranks.

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver pledged $10 million a year from the new deal to be spread among Australia’s five Super Rugby clubs, but it cannot be spent on professional player payments.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...it-of-tv-deal/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good news about the academy, nice to hear at least 35/40% will be local lads and based on the performance of our juniors that would be a fair deal with overseas and hopefully like NZ some islanders with the determination and need to take an opportunity to make it rather than just pampered youngsters that sometimes fall away when the going gets too tough

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Player
    vCash
    12 future force spots but only 4-5 locals??????
    Why are we not allowing more spots to local players. It should be a minimum of 50% local content.
    Let's bring in 8 players from interstate, develop them and watch most of them head back east, what a joke Rugby WA still not supporting it's grassroots.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    even good news is bad news to you,blue

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    even good news is bad news to you,blue
    Didn't say it was bad news, as you imply. Just want more opportunities given to locals. Being involved in Junior Rugby in WA for many years I think our Juniors require and deserve the opportunities rather than giving them to outsiders.

vCash
    The way Pulver spoke seemed to hint at an emerging strategy aimed at finding new juniors through the 7's program. Could be a good one.

The 7's tournaments might also be good content for FTA operators. Unless Fox has that sown up exclusively too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    I would like a Prop school developed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The way Pulver spoke seemed to hint at an emerging strategy aimed at finding new juniors through the 7's program. Could be a good one.

The 7's tournaments might also be good content for FTA operators. Unless Fox has that sown up exclusively too.
    They're already using 7s to bring girls into the game - there's a program running over here as we speak with training, leading into Viva 7s (non-tackle) and will finish with proper 7s.

I'd like to see some kind of 7s tournament involving the Super Rugby franchises to give developing players some exposure and experience (and fill the annoying rugby drought in the summer).

vCash
    This is very good news :-)))

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Didn't say it was bad news, as you imply. Just want more opportunities given to locals. Being involved in Junior Rugby in WA for many years I think our Juniors require and deserve the opportunities rather than giving them to outsiders.
    Blue I think the reason the balance is right is that the wa kids that are hungrier enough to make it big are limited and this type of investment in a player is going to take years to materialise and we need to some return, other kids with less opportunities and pathways need to brought in

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    12 future force spots but only 4-5 locals??????
    Why are we not allowing more spots to local players. It should be a minimum of 50% local content.
    Let's bring in 8 players from interstate, develop them and watch most of them head back east, what a joke Rugby WA still not supporting it's grassroots.
    REALLY?

from the future force page, there are already 3 perth players (Richard Hardwick, Kane Koteka, and Harry Scoble). so add 4-5 perth palyers, that is 7-8 perth players as a minimum!

Man, give them a break!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    Man, give them a break!
    I don't think you understand how this site works for some people,

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    I'd like to see some kind of 7s tournament involving the Super Rugby franchises to give developing players some exposure and experience (and fill the annoying rugby drought in the summer).
    I agree that it would be good to have something to fill the rugby void in the summer months, but I don't know if a Sevens tournament would necessarily develop players into Super Rugby standard. A good 7's player doesn't automatically make a good 15's player.

It's good that the ARU are putting the TV money back into player development though, as opposed to topping up player contracts.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scozzie View Post
    I agree that it would be good to have something to fill the rugby void in the summer months, but I don't know if a Sevens tournament would necessarily develop players into Super Rugby standard. A good 7's player doesn't automatically make a good 15's player.

It's good that the ARU are putting the TV money back into player development though, as opposed to topping up player contracts.
    That's true, but 7s is a great way to develop the skills that are useful in XVs. 7s can develop passing skills, effectively utilising space, playing "what's in front of you" and tackling.

The olympics will generate interest in 7s (I hope) and it would be crazy not to capitalise on that somehow.

Player
    vCash
    Training develops passing skills, not 7's rugby.
    Prop school a great idea lets call it "The Front Row Factory".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast