Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    One of the opening tenets of this competition was the alignment of time zones. I iked that. If games are scheduled north/south, rather than all over the map, then broadcast schedules are easier and travel is lessened. Jet lag becomes a thing of the past.

Newcastle, Western Sydney and Queensland should play in a seperate conference (hopefully that word doesn't offend) and play in a club challenge finals series with all winners of each time zone.
    Conferences aren't a dirty word in my opinion. In fact, the original implementation of them in SR made sense and actually worked out quite well. It was the changes made to fit the Sunwolves, Jaguares and Kings in that completely cocked things up by not looking at it logically. The Kings should have joined the SA conference, the Sunwolves the Australian conference and the Jaguares the NZ (thanks to the direct flights between Auckland and BA).

So if we see two or even three more Aus based teams then working on some kind of conference system really wouldn't be that much of an issue as long as it's done logically. But the time zone issue really isn't one even with added Aus teams. Jet lag would be minimal when on needing to cross two time zones at most.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Contributor
    vCash
    TWF Contributor! 141 Club Award
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    For this competition to succeed it needs a solid anchor of teams ideally from one nation. It makes sense for that to be Australia in my opinion.
    A solid anchor of teams from Australia would be run by and for RA, whether we like it or not. I agree there needs to be a solid underpinning, and for mine it should be Japan. It is GRR at the moment, there was talk of Japan doing its own competition when the Sunwolves were axed...to me, it was all talking about the same competition. But it has to be by and for the Asian countries, first and foremost. That was all the talk when WSR started, that is what Asian Rugby and WR bought into, and it worries me that it now seems to be becoming every man and his dog, team du jour.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The Bronze Star of Faith TWF Contributor!
    You are 100% on the money there Andy.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    A solid anchor of teams from Australia would be run by and for RA, whether we like it or not. I agree there needs to be a solid underpinning, and for mine it should be Japan. It is GRR at the moment, there was talk of Japan doing its own competition when the Sunwolves were axed...to me, it was all talking about the same competition. But it has to be by and for the Asian countries, first and foremost. That was all the talk when WSR started, that is what Asian Rugby and WR bought into, and it worries me that it now seems to be becoming every man and his dog, team du jour.
    From the beginning they've held that the ownership of these teams are open ended so there's no reason extra Australian teams would have to be run by RA. Japan would be a solid anchor if there was anything solid in the way of news and information coming out of it. There's not ever a guarantee there will be a team entering GRR from the country next season.

Veteran Contributor
    vCash
    TWF Contributor! 141 Club Award
    As maybe, but they would be. WSR talked about a team from NSW, but the NSWRU put the bash on it because they weren't ready. And that was apparently only right, because apparently they have to be ready...so involved. Can't see why a team from Q'ld wouldn't be exactly the same, so that is then NSWRU and QRU with their fingers in it all. And in case you missed it, we've just been told that "to be a legitimate competition RA must sign off on every professional rugby game played in Australia". Involve those two Unions and give RA power of yea/nay over all of the matches in Australia, what do you think you have...?

You'd want to have all their balls tightly locked in a bag before you'd even think about involving them for mine.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Yes much better without the announcers constantly gabbling. But the music is still way over the top - I reckon if they could fade it out just before the scrums & lineouts, otherwise its just deafening. They still managed to fuck up the Force chant tho.
    Bro, they would fade it out on the feed of the scrum for most of the game, what more do you want?

I think as far as the Australian involvement is concerned, it seems to be where we and the Easterners diverge. We've seen the rubbish that comes with the politics over there, and we're not really too keen to let them bring that poison back in no matter how keen they seem.

Personally I think it should be a long long time before they are allowed a team and it needs to be when a complete restructure of Australian Rugby has occurred without any of the politics. So, essentially impossible.

Last edited by BLR; 13-04-19 at 21:43.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Western Sydney and Queensland would be great.
    I also saw that reference to Queensland. That is a story I have not heard before. That is in the West story about Twiggy and GRR, but Nick Taylor does not appear to be actually quoting Twiggy, but we assume that is his source.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881167979z

Maybe Twiggy has bought the Reds? Or the Reds are next on the Super chopping block? The Brisbane Broncos are going to switch codes?

Any other speculation?

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46