Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Western Force vs Highlanders - Match Thread

vCash
    That scrum penalty really killed our pressure and momentum. Was looking forward to the scrum once Holmes came on, but couldn't argue with the penalty

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Just quietly, I reckon this will be Kearney's last season at this level.

vCash
    Berry really doesn't care if you're supporting your weight when trying to pilfer

vCash
    What was the crowd number? Looked pretty decent

Champion
    vCash
    Over 13500

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Berry really doesn't care if you're supporting your weight when trying to pilfer
    That's probably the only criticism I'd have watching live. We made quite a few tactical errors at critical times. Which had a lot more to do with the loss. Jeez we missed Thrush!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    We really missed Thrush

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    We really missed Thrush
    Big time.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I must be watching something different to the referee

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I must be watching something different to the referee
    Maybe you had your eyes open.That would explain it

C'mon the

vCash
    Who ever thought they would be saying they “missed Thrush” but without a doubt it was true tonight. His enthusiasm just lifts the whole team and we just needed that in a few places this evening.
    I hope Nick Berry gets Thrush!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I thought our attack last night was another step in the right direction. Looked much better with some straight running, less shoveling and even some inside passes. McIntyre didn't look too bad either, although Miotti still looked better when he came on.

Our cleanouts and ruck security in attack were a big problem area however, especially with Berry's 'interpretations' on requirements for pilfer attempts. We need to get better at supporting players who make a break - I guess we are used to not expecting it!
    We didn't put any pressure on their rucks, which must have been a tactic to keep numbers in our defensive line, but I think it would've been better to have an occasional crack when there was an opportunity as it just gave them very quick ball.

Anyway, the team is still on the up which is what we want to see. We created enough chances to win, but had a couple of costly errors and that scrum penalty followed by a yellow put us away. We're building nicely and should be right up near the pointy end of the table next year with some smart recruiting.

After watching the Canes v Rebels game, I think we should be able to get a W next week. Their defense is pretty average, as highlighted by the Rebels managing to score 2 tries!

vCash
    Do you guys seriously think Nick Berry was the difference between the two sides? The lack of penetration we've had all season, the lack of a Plan B, regardless of which ref we have, might be some clues...

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Do you guys seriously think Nick Berry was the difference between the two sides? The lack of penetration we've had all season, the lack of a Plan B, regardless of which ref we have, might be some clues...
    I seriously believe he inconsistently applied the laws of the game, and to the extent that killed our momentum at crucial times he certainly influenced the Force's game in a non-positive way. I also have difficulty reconciling the treatment of the accidental high tackle from Greg Holmes with the shoulder to the head and tip tackle the previous week against the Chiefs, and the accidental head high in the Chiefs / Brumbies game yesterday. Perhaps if there was more transparency and consistency and a little less "if you don't like it you pick up a whistle" then there would be more sympathy to the difficulties of refereeing the modern game.

Edit: I don't entirely blame Berry because it was quite apparent that Aaron Smuth was co-refereeing the game and he should accept some responsibility

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveWA; 23-05-21 at 15:31.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    I seriously believe he inconsistently applied the laws of the game, and to the extent that killed our momentum at crucial times he certainly influenced the Force's game in a non-positive way. I also have difficulty reconciling the treatment of the accidental high tackle from Greg Holmes with the shoulder to the head and tip tackle the previous week against the Chiefs, and the accidental head high in the Chiefs / Brumbies game yesterday. Perhaps if there was more transparency and consistency and a little less "if you don't like it you pick up a whistle" then there would be more sympathy to the difficulties of refereeing the modern game.

Edit: I don't entirely blame Berry because it was quite apparent that Aaron Smuth was co-refereeing the game and he should accept some responsibility
    Do you think this inconsistent application of the laws was only as they applied to one team?
    Have you reviewed the World Rugby protocol relating to high contact? Presuming you have, which part(s) of the protocol is difficult to reconcile against how the Holmes incident was dealt with?
    As Berry didn't referee the Chiefs/Brumbies game there is no need for response to that part.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast