Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2020 GRR Confirmed..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    All GRR can offer any player at the present time is a one-year contract for 2020. If players are offered more than that elsewhere then they owe it to themselves to go elsewhere. And if it’s to a team over east, then they get the added bonus of being more likely to come into Wallaby contention too as Cheika doesn’t seem disposed to looking west for squad members.

I’m just well and truly over reading about Melbourne picking the eyes out of rugby in WA.
    Can't really blame the players for the reasons you've listed.

Players want certainty and if all GRR can offer is a 1 year deal the players are always going to look elsewhere.

It's not ideal but that's another reason why we need something announced sooner rather than later.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Have to say, another year of uncertainty and ad hoc plans might well do for the comp (perhaps something not lost on RA). The longer this goes, the less it is likely to be. Especially if they are starting to talk about being nothing more than a SR reserves comp...that really will establish as a permanent circumstance that any player developing in WA will have to go east to progress. If GRR settles for that, then what is set up will be all they'll ever be. The teams given a seat at the table will control the future, and will shape that future to suit their agenda.

vCash
    He also made mention of some rumours that one or more SR franchises may be looking to either partner with GRR in the form of farming out talent or even look to set up their own GRR squads in order to provide extended squad/up and comers with higher quality competition. While I've certainly thought that this would be a reasonable idea in the past. Upon thinking about it I'm kind of hoping its a case of mixed messages. And might be hinting at something much more significant planned for 2021 and beyond in regards to Rugby in the AP region.
    So GRR formally becoming a feeder for SR rather than the unofficial feeder it seems to be currently?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 03-10-19 at 19:22.
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Can't really blame the players for the reasons you've listed.

Players want certainty and if all GRR can offer is a 1 year deal the players are always going to look elsewhere.

It's not ideal but that's another reason why we need something announced sooner rather than later.
    Totally agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Have to say, another year of uncertainty and ad hoc plans might well do for the comp (perhaps something not lost on RA). The longer this goes, the less it is likely to be. Especially if they are starting to talk about being nothing more than a SR reserves comp...that really will establish as a permanent circumstance that any player developing in WA will have to go east to progress. If GRR settles for that, then what is set up will be all they'll ever be. The teams given a seat at the table will control the future, and will shape that future to suit their agenda.
    Agreed

Player
    vCash
    He also made mention of some rumours that one or more SR franchises may be looking to either partner with GRR in the form of farming out talent or even look to set up their own GRR squads in order to provide extended squad/up and comers with higher quality competition. While I've certainly thought that this would be a reasonable idea in the past. Upon thinking about it I'm kind of hoping its a case of mixed messages. And might be hinting at something much more significant planned for 2021 and beyond in regards to Rugby in the AP region.[/QUOTE]

So GRR formally becoming a feeder for SR rather than the unofficial feeder it seems to be currently?[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping not. I would prefer to see something more AP focused emerge in place of SR involving interests from both groups from 2021 and beyond. Apparently the talks between the A-League and Channel 10 have fallen apart and 10 is without a major sporting offering. SR cannot really fill that gap involving teams from SA and Arg but a AP focused competition played in our timezones could. That's what I'm hoping for.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Was told an interesting tidbit over on PlanetRugby from a bloke who lives in Singapore about the future of the AP Dragons. Apparently, they won't be based out of Singapore if his bit about the SRFU and the ownership feuding over really ridiculous things like the lack of social media penetration of the Dragons (considering they only played what 4 games. Come on.) And the possibility of a team out of Taiwan being involved.

The bloke seems pretty disappointed by the turn of events as he had been quite open in his support of the concept and having a team in Singapore.

He also made mention of some rumours that one or more SR franchises may be looking to either partner with GRR in the form of farming out talent or even look to set up their own GRR squads in order to provide extended squad/up and comers with higher quality competition. While I've certainly thought that this would be a reasonable idea in the past. Upon thinking about it I'm kind of hoping its a case of mixed messages. And might be hinting at something much more significant planned for 2021 and beyond in regards to Rugby in the AP region.
    These whispers are, like, at least 8 weeks old, man...

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    These whispers are, like, at least 8 weeks old, man...
    And I should care...why?

Senior Player
    vCash
    And I should care...why?
    I thought you were a special rapporteur.

I thought you were too busy to post old news.

I thought your middle name was 'Scoop' as you hunted down these cutting-edge stories on the net!

Player
    vCash
    I thought you were a special rapporteur.

I thought you were too busy to post old news.

I thought your middle name was 'Scoop' as you hunted down these cutting-edge stories on the net!
    You fighting other peoples battles now?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Depends, mate. Case by case

Player
    vCash
    Depends, mate. Case by case
    Well, I'm sure he appreciates you white knighting the situation for him.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Well, I'm sure he appreciates you white knighting the situation for him.
    Course he does, but that's just ephemera. This ain't the first time - as you well know - that I've taken a shot at your blowhard news story 'scoops'.

By all means, revisit this stuff again. The potential future teams are worth discussing, for sure.

Time to stop big-noting yourself for old rumours, though, while slagging others for posting out of date news.

Player
    vCash
    Course he does, but that's just ephemera. This ain't the first time - as you well know - that I've taken a shot at your blowhard news story 'scoops'.

By all means, revisit this stuff again. The potential future teams are worth discussing, for sure.

Time to stop big-noting yourself for old rumours, though, while slagging others for posting out of date news.
    Passing on something isn't big noting shit. I thought it was interesting so I brought it up. Brush the chip off your shoulder.

As for things like MLR. I genuinely know a number of people directly involved. You don't like that. Well. Tough.

Last edited by WCRugger; 04-10-19 at 15:32.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Passing on something isn't big noting shit. I thought it was interesting so I brought it up. Brush the chip off your shoulder.
    LOL. Passing on is fine! Pass away at will. You don't like to link it, though, amirite? ... All the better to keep the 'scoop'!

Here, it's so easy I'll do it for you:

And another:

We all get busy at times, and big noting is not against the bible ... it's just a bit full of yourself is all. Many aspire to be a Big Note, but few attain such lofty status.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast