Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Force Biffo

vCash

Turmoil

This is definitely not something the WF team needs. In any team the players come from different back grounds, but you will find that the majority of the time all players seem to find a way to get along and gel. This is something that is instilled in rugby players from the get go. You need your team mates on your side!!

Obviously something has gone terriblly wrong here for these two players. My only problem is that it should have been possible for the agitator to maybe work things out without violence.

They are professional rugby players, the fisty cuffs garbage should have gone out of their off field behaviour years ago, this isn't club rugby anymore!! If you need to biff, biff the opposition on the rugby field.

I realise I won't know, and most supports won't ever know the REAL truth. Maybe there was some provocation involved, but either way I will reiterate that professional rugby players should not be bruising team mates’ faces.

I am disappointed, and in most situations like this I would say bye-bye to the culprit, but maybe there is a better solution. I can't believe I am saying this; don't sack said player, drop him for half the season, put him on strict counselling, community service, see how he is going mid season and take it from there!!

Well hope this all gets sorted ASAP, the WF needs to be focused on their game.

Best of luck to Sare, hope he recovers quick!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    Former Wallaby Matt Henjak's career is hanging by a thread after reports that he broke the jaw of Western Force teammate Haig Sare at the weekend.

A source yesterday told the Herald that Sare was in a Perth hospital, to which he was admitted immediately after Henjak, 26, is alleged to have struck the utility back. It is not known if alcohol was involved but the incident is believed to have happened in a Fremantle bar.

Henjak has played four Tests, but a series of incidents has left his career under a cloud. In July 2005, he became the first Wallaby in 40 years to be ordered home from a Wallabies tour when former coach Eddie Jones sent him packing from South Africa for a nightclub incident that involved Lote Tuqiri, Wendell Sailor and Matt Dunning in Cape Town. He received a two-year, two-match suspended sentence and a $500 fine.

The Force last night confirmed there had been an incident and that an inquiry would be held, but would not name names.

"Rugby WA has been made aware of an altercation between two Western Force players in Perth yesterday. The altercation has left one player requiring medical attention for a suspected broken jaw," Rugby WA said in a statement last night. "It has been confirmed that no member of the public was involved in the incident. Rugby WA views the incident as an internal but serious matter, and an investigation has been commenced.

"Following the investigation, it is likely the matter will be referred to a serious misconduct committee."

The Herald has also learned of allegations of another incident involving Henjak that has not yet been made public. According to a source, Henjak is alleged to have been involved in an incident in which Liam O'Meara, son of the former Force chief executive Peter O'Meara - who resigned on January 18 - was injured at a 2006 Christmas party.

O'Meara snr, the source said, had wanted to tear up Henjak's contract after the alleged incident but did not after his son, who was then an employee of Rugby WA, asked him not to.

Both Henjak and Sare are listed in the Western Force's 26-man squad that is due to fly out from Perth today to South Africa for the first three rounds of their Super 14 campaign, which starts on Saturday morning, Sydney time.

This incident has again placed the Force under the spotlight for off-field controversy. The problems overshadow any praise the franchise may have otherwise earned from its impressive seventh place finish in last year's Super 14, after only two years in the competition. In December, Australian rugby was rocked by the "quokka shocker" affair, in which Force players Scott Fava and Richard Brown were fined a total of $16,000 for mistreating quokkas during a bonding camp on Rottnest Island.

The Force were fined $150,000 last year for breaching Australian Rugby Union protocols after the Herald revealed $300,000 in secret payments to lure players to Perth. There were also revelations that two players assaulted a former employee in a Sydney bar early last year. Then came a report that $16,000 was paid to a South African man to enable Henjak to play Super 14 matches in South Africa before a civil claim and charges against him stemming from an alleged nightclub incident were dropped.

This latest incident involving Henjak will not help the Force to regain the lost confidence of sponsors or supporters. If Henjak is found guilty and is either suspended or loses his contract, it will also test their code-of-conduct protocol, as the Force have very little depth at halfback. To prevent Henjak from touring South Africa would challenge Force coach John Mitchell. His next choice No.9 is James Stannard, who is yet to play Super 14.

Even before this incident, Henjak faced an uphill battle to impress Wallabies coach Robbie Deans. In the last year of his ARU contract, Henjak's future in Australia is now in grave doubt.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy123 View Post
    Burgs are you blokes coming over to bris for the game? I think i noticed a post last month about it.

Let me know and I'll buy all a beer. I'll bring along my other force mates based in red-neck land.

And in case you havent noticed, the Reds are talking themselves up a bit this year.

I saw Digby train a few weeks ago - he's quick but still carries a bar of soap around - dropped every ball that went near him!

Cheers
    Give the red neck stuff a rest mate. People from Melbourne and Sydney stopped that jibe towards Queenslanders about 20 years ago.

Champion
    vCash
    great words there unipirate, agree with you from first word to last word...

If Henners was the 'starter' of this incident ..... Henners should go to SAF but only as a spectator (might learn something) ?... and put henners on his last warning or his out, he has to pull his head in hasn't he !! Robbie Deans says that hes almost certain of a contract (only week/s ago) now he does this, good one mate !!

..joke... maybe he is trying to do a tuqiri, f**k up and still get picked in the wallabies team ... (sorry wrong time to joke)

Champion
    vCash
    does anyone know if Adam "kiwi" clarke is going over now as stand by, or is he injured ?

vCash
    Well, I think it's time for stern justice from management, I just want to be sure the right guy gets the shaft. I mean why sack Henners if he's just stopped a guy beating the shit out of him with a good punch...conversely why sack Haig if he was just standing there and copped a king hit?

I AM advocating the strongest penalty the various contracts allow, but I'm also suggesting that those penalties are based upon EVIDENCE not SMH fairytales and who got hurt most. There are bunches of ways a jaw can get broken, the whole thing might have been good natured fun where somebody slipped. Until the investigation is complete, it should be business as usual, after that we'll know if the offence was worth a sacking or not.

Let's also not forget that (AFAIK) Henners has cleaned up his act immensely since 2004 and hasn't been involved in any incidents that we've heard of (and believe me, we'd have heard of them with Growden on the prowl) This is actually his first indiscretion with the (unless the Liam O'Meara incident has legs) and that should be taken into account.....the fact that he has a pre- history should also be taken into account!

I don't care if it costs us a finals slot. If he's guilty, and the right penalty is loss of contract he should go...If he's not guilty....shut up and let him play!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    does anyone know if Adam "kiwi" clarke is going over now as stand by, or is he injured ?
    pretty sure he is still injured! to be honest i can see henjak still touring until they decide to punish him. if he doesnt tour giteau will start at 9 and daruda or mackay will start at 5/8. that would be the smart option - nothing against chucky but experience should prevail in this situation

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Clarke was not listed in the original squad. Given they fly out today we'll find out pretty soon...

Reports suggest that there were a number of players there - I'd hazard a guess that what happens will be based on their testimony. Given the stripping down the rotto crew got for trying to cover things up you'd think they'd tell the powers that be the true story as they saw it and outcomes will be based on that.

I don't think we can lay the blame on 'yak until more is known - if someone throws a punch, you're going to throw one back and I would doubt there was any intent to break someones jaw or injure them such that it would affect their playing abilities.

Whatever the story - it's bloody stupid and just gives the anti-rugby crowds and the press more ammo to use against us.

I'll still be cheering in the crowd (or at the TV) when they hit the field though!

vCash
    Oh shit yeah coach. I was just saying that the apparent ill-discipline has to be dealt with. If you send the players the message 'we're going to be using maximum penalties wherever we can' then maybe the press will get off our case and let us administer our players ourselves. I really don't think anyone is in danger of losing their contracts here. The Quokka thing was only ever proven to be a throw, not a gang tackle, trapping it in a milk crate and swinging it by it's tail. This was probably a bit of a stoush between two players over something stupid being said...someone landed a lucky (or unlucky) punch...Couple of weeks carrying the water....move on!

Just hope it doesn't affect my bet on the Stormers match!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    just remember everyone, it takes two to start a fight, two wrights to make an aeroplane and three rights to get to the freeway!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Its right to let the evidence come out before judging. A practical problem for management is that there appear to have been other players present. No word yet on whether/how they might have been involved. If Henjack does tour, the question to pose is - does this create instability on the tour if there are unresolved issues with other players?

Its a difficult call, and Mitchell must be furious about this distraction before a ball has been kicked in anger.

vCash
    Yeah, I can't imagine what this'll do to the preparations for what is the biggest match of the SA tour!

C'mon the

vCash
    I can't decide what my take on this is... I want to say we need to wait for this all to come out in the wash, and to have confidence that it will be dealt with appropriately once the facts are known... but after sticking up for the boys during the whole 'quokka-shocker' debacle and ending up looking like a fool there, it's a little harder to go in with my full support this time around- here's hoping the other guys that were there (if reports are correct) aren't gonna to attempt to close ranks this time.
    Above all I think I'm just majorly annoyed that this is now going to overshadow what should be a fantasic start to the season.. really, really... REALLY annoyed actually

vCash
    Im sorry but it is the individuals fault yes they should know better but as if management should take the blame. This should not affect what anyone thinks of the Force as a whole as Yak is an arrogant cocky idiot. There have been plenty of things that we haven't heard no doubt. If everyone thinks that he has tranished the force why not sack him as he has had at least 2 incidents against him and by the looks of it many more that have been covered. Good riddense

vCash
    According to Fox Sport News Matt will leave for South Africa and a hearing will be scheduled for next week. Does this mean he plays this weekend? I'd suggest yes, based upon what I've heard elsewhere (but most of that seems to be conjecture) It might work out OK in the end, he could serve any suspension against the Cheetahs and the Lions, Chucky can handle them!

C'mon the

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast