Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Stormers v Force 17 May 2014 - Game Thread

Player
    vCash
    Well at least they got that out of their system before the run home to the end of the season.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    You know, looking at this game, the backs missing were all play-makers. And Marcel was shifted further out. I suppose it didn't help that we lacked our forward structure either. Ah well, gotta lose sometimes...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Hmm..Brumbies lost overnight too. Good to see the Cheetahs got a result at last, especially since it wasn't against us.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Go Lions! (today anyway)

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
    Not sure kicking was an issue. The kicks in play were pretty good generally. They just had so little possession, but unlike other weeks the stormers didn't vive us easy, against the run of play tries/points.
    Don't agree Marty. We had very little play in their half and when we did sias chose stupid little grubber kicks. An example was where we won a scrum against the head and he chose to kick the fckn thing. Infuriating for the fans and I bet hodgson gave him a serve

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    In addition to the team playing a very poor first half and some mindnumbingly poor assistant ref decisions (knock into touch by Stormers and playing the ball on the ground at Cummo's almost try) I am getting concerned with Foley's timing and use of the bench. A numberof players were having an off day. Coleman and Pek were off form with the later knocking on a number of times whilst we were on attack and yet we had to wait until the mandatory 20 mins to go before the changes started which proved too late. Other players were out on their feet from the massive defensive effort but still dragged their tired bodies around instead of being replaced for fresh legs when it could have made a difference. IMO, we should have made the changes with 30 to go and given the fringe players a better chance to change and lift the game.

vCash
    Really feel that the Force looked more dangerous when they retained the ball even though they were getting hammered, sometimes it seemed an easy option to kick away. The Stormers were really up for this game physically & the Force were probably a bit slow in reacting, isn't this the same tactic they used well with the Tahs? Maybe changes in structure made a telling difference in gelling. The Guys also didn't seem to fight as hard at the breakdown in the 1st half like they usually do although it was heaps better 2nd half. Just left their run too late. Ah well a lesson learnt!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitythefool View Post
    In addition to the team playing a very poor first half and some mindnumbingly poor assistant ref decisions (knock into touch by Stormers and playing the ball on the ground at Cummo's almost try) I am getting concerned with Foley's timing and use of the bench. A numberof players were having an off day. Coleman and Pek were off form with the later knocking on a number of times whilst we were on attack and yet we had to wait until the mandatory 20 mins to go before the changes started which proved too late. Other players were out on their feet from the massive defensive effort but still dragged their tired bodies around instead of being replaced for fresh legs when it could have made a difference. IMO, we should have made the changes with 30 to go and given the fringe players a better chance to change and lift the game.
    +1

Tessman, Stander and Co made a huge impact when they came on - but too late IMO. 60+ tackles in the first 20mins alone was always going to take its toll.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kipper_mckinnon View Post
    Don't agree Marty. We had very little play in their half and when we did sias chose stupid little grubber kicks. An example was where we won a scrum against the head and he chose to kick the fckn thing. Infuriating for the fans and I bet hodgson gave him a serve
    Sias does this every week. He needs to choose the kick better especially when we're in there half. Just kept giving possession back to them after working so hard to get it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitythefool View Post
    Agree with the above. I think that there should be some changes in selection for next week. Our starting xv lacked freshness and energy. We seem to have some major problems with the lineout. Perhaps these are throw in problems, but I wonder about our tactics/calls in this area. Back row have been excellent, but their impact overall seems to be decreasing. So I would change ( depending on injuries) and would like to see
    Faulkner
    Tessman
    Kman
    Steenkamp
    Coleman
    Stander
    Hodgo
    Benny Mac
    Alby ?
    Sias
    Kyle/CTM
    Marcel
    Badger
    Mozzer??/Stubbs??/dhp
    Jayden

Bench
    Pec
    Cheese
    Oli h
    Wykes
    Ian prior
    Zac
    Pat d depending on fitness of above

Just think we need new energy and go forward. Line out can only improve and I think Tess deserves a start on his performances.

vCash
    We've had to make changes this week because of injury anyway, I think we'll be okay. We just have to retain structure when we have possession, allow ourselves to keep it for longer, don't get isolated. Not too many teams would be able to play well with so many creative players out injured.

And it hurts a team when refereeing decisions after periods of hard work, don't go your way.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Go Lions! (today anyway)
    Still 24 minutes left but not looking good, Waratahs have already scored a 4 try bonus point.

Force will probably have to do the same next week.

Last edited by jargan83; 18-05-14 at 15:25.

vCash
    Re the post from above
    "Bench
    Pec
    Cheese
    Oli h
    Wykes
    Ian prior
    Zac
    Pat d depending on fitness of above"

I agree the bench added go forward and enthusiasm, however, I also felt Wykes did well in a team that was struggling for much of the night, as did Benny Mac and Hodgo - Wykes kept coming up quickly in defense and applying pressure, I was pretty happy with his effort last night

Let's hope they have got a bad performance out of their system before coming home

vCash
    How did Burton & the Muss go in the centres?

Apologies if it's been mentioned. I'm offshore off of West Africa doing all this on my phone

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast