Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: SUPER RUGBY – WEEK 3: WESTERN FORCE V BRUMBIES

vCash
    Any word on who will be coaching the Perth NRC team? This would be the logical place to start succession planning.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Any word on who will be coaching the Perth NRC team? This would be the logical place to start succession planning.
    Will hopfully be the new coach of the Force.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Not sure about Mr Deans. Would need more info on what were the causative factors of his sub par performance at Wallaby level.
    That's any easy one Invictus, the reason is essentially two words ALL BLACKS

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    What's the Perth NRC team?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is worth remembering that "coaching" is not just one thing. The reason that constant change doesn't work is that no-one is the whole package and you just end up swapping one deficiency for another in the search for a quick fix. McGahan seems to have got his team working well in one outing - JM sometimes did that too, didn't mean there weren't other issues. From what I have seen and heard, I suspect Foley actually ticks the boxes well in most respects. The apparent deficiency appears to be the ability to develop gameplans and strategies that reflect the team he actually has, not the team he wishes (or maybe thinks) he has. For instance, there is no point trying to play a territory game if you have a back three that cannot reliably clear more than 20m under pressure. It cost at least one try last week, could/should have been at least two more (and will against most of the teams to come). So no point wishing or hoping the kicking will suddenly be good; do something different. Or perhaps it is that he doesn't trust any team he has and goes the old Waratahs ultra-cautious, forwards oriented, defence first game that gets you pinned on your own line and beaten to death. Either way, something needs to change as our current strategies aren't working and it is not a one-off lapse in skills.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Wasn't adressing WF coaching team directly nor was I trying to start a flame war. The point was that some coaches are able to utilise available players at maximum output and some aren't. White and Mcgahan are probably good current examples of the former.

Good coaches aren't always successful everywhere they go (Mckenzie at Stade Francais for instance). The environment has to be correct and the whole organisation has to be moving in the same direction (eg Reds rebirth) and it doesn't always happen overnight (how long did it take the bulls to climb out of the cellar?).

So a good coach isn't the only requirement, but it is a key piece of the puzzle.

From a force perspective, perhaps we should try a younger coach (suggestions?) with a more experienced consultant/mentor retained for advice etc (that way you don't have to try and lure the experienced person to perth as that role could be done via the web as with kicking coaches in the past).
    Yeah I know what you mean and I think perhaps a more experienced and successful coach could have better results than Foley, but for long term success and to finish regularly in the top 6, we need players.

vCash
    Zed - a good playing roster and a poor coach and you get?? In reality you need both. Given our current circumstances I can't really see us attracting either players or coaches.

AndyS - yes it is early days for the Rebels but you have to admit that their first effort was pretty damn good. I would like to see that level of structure, commitment and enthusiasm from the Force. This weekend will be interesting as we will see how they do in an away game (something we haven't seen from the Waratahs yet).

vCash
    What AndyS said

C'mon the

vCash
    and just on the rebels it may only be 1 super rugby game but they have won against 4 super rugby teams in the last 5 weeks so its not just a flash in the pan.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Are Louden and the Force on good terms? Read somewhere that it may not be so. If he hasn't got a gig maybe it won't matter so much...

Not sure about Mr Deans. Would need more info on what were the causative factors of his sub par performance at Wallaby level.
    Maybe he really was a kiwi spy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    and just on the rebels it may only be 1 super rugby game but they have won against 4 super rugby teams in the last 5 weeks so its not just a flash in the pan.
    Good point.

The thing I liked most was that there is clearly a game plan in place and they are all following it (and it worked). Plus they are willing to have a go when opportunity presents itself.

Would love to be able to say the same about the Force.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Can you wait five or six years Invictus?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Wouldn't it be great to have Sharpie back as a coach - natural born leader, great motivator and wide experience in the game. They say that a great player doesn't mean a great coach but what have we got to lose.
    I certainly agree.... and someone to give the lazy B*&^%S a darned kick up the rear... Mongrel boys mongrel..... passion...commitment...something the fans give every game.. !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    .something the fans give every game.. !!!
    Not sure about that Jo, I was so deep in apathy and depression at the 77th minute, I didn't even clap for the first try.

C'mon the

vCash
    Comments by Scott Allen's article Roar - the game plan is not working either because of coaching team, perhaps it's not suiting the players style or the players aren't following the game plan & not gelling as a team in attitude. Interesting it was mentioned that Tahs don't necessarily have great players but the attitude & culture of the team is working as is with the Rebels. Overall it appears the Force is lacking in confidence and aggro. I find it hard to say that the guys don't have a good team attitude so is the problem in the game plan and coaching style?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast