Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Digby Ioane quits after fallout at Reds

vCash
    That would make it a whole lot better. I like the idea but somehow I doubt it will fly.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Andy. How I understand it is that he has an ARU contract in place..
    The SMH article notes that his last one was 3 years with the Reds, but only 2 with the ARU so it is that one that is up for grabs...

vCash
    Ok I see. They are going to have to get this sorted out because it seems every year ther is some kind of hiccup.
    I'm surprised that the ARU doesn't just tie it into the club contract but I suppose that would be to simple.
    Whatever happened Diggers in hot water and that Carmichael doesn't sound as though he's going to give an inch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I'm surprised that the ARU doesn't just tie it into the club contract but I suppose that would be to simple.
    So am I actually - I just assumed that's how it worked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    So am I actually - I just assumed that's how it worked.
    Same here! But the ARU is run by retards so we probably shouldn't be surprised
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I suspect Ioane was trying to be clever, figuring that if he was going to stay in Aus it would be Q'ld but giving himself the out to go overseas after two. Didn't see the scenario of wanting to stay but not at the Reds. Can't cry too hard for him.

If he were to stay in Aus but leave the Reds, I would have thought it would be Melbourne...might suit both the Reds and JO'C.

vCash
    Speaking of corrupt deals; did anything ever come of the "ground hire" rort or has it gone to the bottom of Sydney Harbour like every other fishy deal that didn't involve the Western Force seems to have done?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    We are building a culture. As the captain (MH) said " Build it and they will come". It is a no brainer, thanks for the good times Digby enjoy your time OS. Spend the money on the academy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    My understanding was that they could find money additional to the ARU money, not that they could organise deals. One of the things the Force was specifically fined for was "offering third-party benefits to induce a player to sign with the Force".
    I'm not 100% sure, but the contracting process has changed dramatically since then(western force fine) with the inception of the salary cap..
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Nothing, on the face of it. I must admit, though, that I'd like to see a bit more light shed on the supposed reason behind this. Whether it was because third party deals have not been met and whether the Reds management used them as inducements to help sign players. After all it was this that the Force were slammed for. Contrary to TOCC's assertion that that is OK; AFAIK it's not so.

Of course it's also possible that Digby is just not as moved by the Reds' team song as some other players.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Third party contracts are definitely part of the new salary cap, it is a seperate 'cap' to the $4.5 salary cap.. Likewise EPS contracts fall under another separate salary cap..
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Third party contracts are definitely part of the new salary cap
    OK. But are the franchises allowed to negotiate them or is it still a separate process to be negotiated by player managers?

Personally, I think such a provision is ridiculous. I'd be quite happy to see it scrapped. Just qeustioning what applied when Ioane re-signed with the Reds and possibly when he reneged on his word over here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    OK. But are the franchises allowed to negotiate them or is it still a separate process to be negotiated by player managers?

Personally, I think such a provision is ridiculous. I'd be quite happy to see it scrapped. Just qeustioning what applied when Ioane re-signed with the Reds and possibly when he reneged on his word over here.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Hi Shasta, I'm just trying to imagine all the players shirts!
    Mine has McD
    Yours has Red Rooster
    No clubs must be involved but its so open to disaster. Hopefully someone will see what a clusterf@ck this is and close the door. It about 10 years time.

vCash

Posted via Mobile Device
    My understanding was that clubs were allowed to negotiate the third party within the salary cap.

I think it would be silly for the states and ARU to ignore corporate support, if a company is willing to chip in and pay a player to help keep him in Australia and maximise his wage then it should be allowed..

The caveat is that some states have greater access to corporate support then others, hence why they imposed a salary cap on the allowable third party contracts..from memory it was $500'000 but I'm not certain.

Prior to the salary cap I don't think negotiating third party contracts was allowed, it's only been a recent addition.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    As for the contract situation...

The story seems to be that he signed a 3 year contract with the Reds, and a 2yr contract with the ARU with the option for a third year...

So the talk of not taking up the third year is in reference to the ARU contract, hence why Jim Carmichael said Digby wouldn't be free to join another province if doesn't take up the third year.

It's not a great situation, Diggers is a fan favourite, but he isn't irreplaceable and the clubs/ARU can't give everyone what they want..

I hope it gets sorted, but if not, then wish Digby all the best, he still puts in 100% on the field which is what matters.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    As for the contract situation...I hope it gets sorted, but if not, then wish Digby all the best, he still puts in 100% on the field which is what matters.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    and thus lies the problem. How the frak can the ARU allow a situation that its star international player is forced to become ineligible for the Wallabies (by being forced to go overseas) because of a dispute with his club.

Farcical

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast