Isn't he Dutch?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    the well known author

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Player
    vCash
    Thanks Sittingbison. Your post at 55 really got me thinking about what could/should have happened in 2012.
    I think RG never had the best interests of the Force in mind from the time QLD approached him in 2011. RG's recruitment and game plan then failed miserably. I reckon he must have been heading for the chop and jumped before he was pushed.
    Consequence of that was to leave the Force in disarray. (Thanks mate.)
    How well did Vern respond to that situation is the question on my mind. We will never know what Vern knew and when he knew it, or exactly what he did about it. Very difficult to assess his performance in detail with the the limited information we have.
    But I suppose who cares anyway. That is the past.
    The new coaching team looks good and the player recruitment looks like it is working better without RG. Best wishes to the new CEO whoever that may be. After a very difficult 2012 the new CEO will take over an organisation in reasonable shape and with a big future.

vCash
    spot on PBS.

As I said to you originally, the only real failing (which was of course major) of Vern during the RG fiasco was to ask the players (led by Pocock lol) decide RGs fate. I think he was probably overwhelmed, and also that it took him completely by surprise. We can look back in hindsight and say surely RG was in negotiation with Reds preseason etc etc but Vern was not intrinsic to the playing department at that time.

Vern also had GeniaGate on his plate, and the ongoing sage of Pocock. Also with hindsight, several here including me have come to the conclusion he was always going to go as evidenced by his reaction to CheikaGate then the signing of Foley. I imagine if Pocock was being intransigent the pressure must have been building on Vern, especially after JudasGate only the year before.

Plus given the actions over the past three years of JON, and his comments today about the ARC etc. Vern was fighting an unwinnable battle with the administrators of the game.

Champion
    vCash
    Spot on both PBS and SB.
    Graham was a goner at the end of the season anyway.
    He did tell the board some weeks before the announcement was made (courtesy of some well placed leaks by the Reds). They had begun chasing his replacement by the time of the announcement.
    I don't think it was such a bad thing to let players have an input. After all they were going to have to work for him and let's face it how could they seriously take a man asking them to go out and get battered and bruised when he probably couldn't care less about the side.
    The ARU have never given RugbyWA any support as we know so vern would have been running into a brick wall at every meeting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Also with hindsight, several here including me have come to the conclusion he was always going to go as evidenced by his reaction to CheikaGate then the signing of Foley. I imagine if Pocock was being intransigent the pressure must have been building on Vern, especially after JudasGate only the year before.
    Yep. Poey was always leaving. He had previously stated he wanted rugby out of the way before making the decision and had said he approved of playing under foley if he was to be appointed(probably under the impression it would never happen)
    When it became evident Foley was about to be announced, Pocock made the annopuncement to leave. Pocock was stringing the organization and the fans along. Dog act imo and lost all my respect for the bloke.

Champion
    vCash
    This is probably the point I raise my eyebrows. One cannot comment as the full story is not available BUT hypothetically speaking:

CEO's are appointed to lead.... not to ask employees for opinions, not even shareholders - perhaps the board depending on decision to be made.

If a Manager of a department asks to see a CEO and then hands in his resignation and advises he is heading to the opposition...in my line of business...one figures this manager has given some thought to the decision and is a smart person ( otherwise you would not have hired him in the first place). So, the question is asked " Is there anything we can do to change your mind?" No... O.K. "Then I need to ask you to please hand me your security card, car keys. laptop, etc. and that you wish him well, call a cab and send him home".

Immediately call a meeting with his department, appoint a caretaker - usually deputy manager, advise the troops that the decision was sudden, and he leaves with you full support and now we move forward. You have faith in the deputies and will commence looking for a replacement immediately.

Same chat is given to rest of comapny - other departments - the board and then wider media etc.

That is called leadership, making decsisions, moving forward and keeps morale high and sends a clear signal to prospective replacements that this organisation has a leader who leads.

Possibly Vern did all this, but my eyebrows remain raised as it didn't seem like he did.

Senior Player
    vCash
    My point exactly.

You guys are a bunch of bullies.

vCash
    What cyber bullying eh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumourMonger View Post
    My point exactly.

You guys are a bunch of bullies.
    Look, its not our fault Rocky is such a ego maniacal toss post...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoolly Doolly View Post
    Yep. Poey was always leaving. He had previously stated he wanted rugby out of the way before making the decision and had said he approved of playing under foley if he was to be appointed(probably under the impression it would never happen)
    When it became evident Foley was about to be announced, Pocock made the annopuncement to leave. Pocock was stringing the organization and the fans along. Dog act imo and lost all my respect for the bloke.
    Having seen a few tweets here and there from the Pococks about what they've been doing since arriving in Canberra, I wonder if Poey going to the Brumbies was as much about them both wanting to be close to the federal political scene as it was about rugby. Guess it's academic now though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Having seen a few tweets here and there from the Pococks about what they've been doing since arriving in Canberra, I wonder if Poey going to the Brumbies was as much about them both wanting to be close to the federal political scene as it was about rugby. Guess it's academic now though!
    Why would anybody want to be any closer to that cesspool?

Have to admit that DP sank in my estimation after his comments on the carbon tax.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Why would anybody want to be any closer to that cesspool?

Have to admit that DP sank in my estimation after his comments on the carbon tax.
    Agree re the cesspool! But both Mr and Mrs P appear to worship the ground B Brown walks on so I predict a political career in the G Party for one or other of them at some point!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast