Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Australia V Wales

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jargs
    Who had the brain fart to kick away possession with 20-30 seconds left on the clock?
    Who cares now? But I was dumbfounded too, considering how efficient our recycling had been even though the Welsh got away with quite a bit on the floor last night. On the flip side, we looked ineffective at the ruck on their ball until Hodgo came on. Foley has made an undeniable case to be retained as starting 10 for the 80 mins. Cooper will not see many minutes unless we need to come from behind at the end of games, and maybe not even then. Cheese will have his work cut out to unseat Faainga as Moores back-up next season. His game is light years ahead of his previous incarnations. probably rushed in too young, in hindsight. Not a crooked throw in sight and good in general play. Ben Mac had a great 80 minutes. Would have liked to see some more carries though as that will be the reason they will still bring Palu back in front of him. Horwill played well when he arrived, beat the advantage line with most of his carries and layed the ball back well. Kuridrani - just get him the ball.

Defense was better in the second half after being below the usual standard for the first 40. Some real tough Tests to get through now, so we'll want that on song. Couldn't tell really, but maybe Cheika has tweaked the structure a little. Line outs were just about faultless. Scrums are getting better but still down the pecking order. I thought they were unlucky not to be awarded the feed when the Welsh wheeled the scrum just before the penalty try was awarded, but the dominant pack got the rub of the green, and fair enough. But at least they were not trampled.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Mccalman had a very strong game with lots of hit ups into very willing defence. He had a great game but our backrow was badly beaten.
    Hooper had a poor game by his standards and I agree he spent too much time standing in the backline. His trademark bursts were absent although he did set up Folau with a great bust and offload in traffic.
    Mcmahon was quiet after his barnstorming game last week and made quite a few rookie errors. The step up to test level revealed a few cracks but the kid has got what it takes. This kid is worth persisting with although he may not be starting next week. Congrats on your test debut. We retained and recycled our ball quite well but there is a definite lack of threat to the opposition when they are attacking. We lacked menace and aggression when they took the ball into contact. Hodgo got 15 minutes at the end and won a legendary pilfer when we were on the ropes. He may have saved the test match.
    Credit where credit is due, Simmons did well in the lineout. He doesn't bring much go forward and neither does carter. I can't see cheika persisting with them beyond this tour.
    Skelton got 30 minutes which is ten minutes too long but he brings impact and fear. He always took the ball over the gain line and attracts 4 defenders. There are opportunities for a smart halfback to slice through the edges of the ruck on the back of a Skelton fast recycle. He also looks like he could pop a ball at any time. The Welsh were scared of running at hime. One time the ball went to growun on a Welsh attack because they were all having a look at the big guy lining up against them. He brings fear because he is farking huge and he hurts people. The defence became noticeable offensive and we got go forward from his hits ups. He was busy when he came on and he made a difference. We were starting to fade but his go forward and punishing defence gave the team a lift.
    Foley had an inspired game....his only mistake was kicking the ball away with 40 seconds on the clock which again nearly cost us. His running, passing, backline organisation, game management and alignment is world class. His kicking was exceptional and he put us back in front with a well taken drop goal. The grey matter between his ears is now the best real estate in Australian rugby. He just always seems to take the right option and he rarely makes mistakes. He also brings his own attacking menace because he runs straight, has great acceleration and a nice step. He is not afraid to have a go.
    The scrum largely performed well however we just can't be conceding penalty tries from scrums if we want to win the world cup. None of the great teams are weak in this area. Ben Alexander is past his used by date. He has never been a good scrummager and his impact on games has become less and less. Kepu and Slipper went well until fatigue set in.
    Phipps played well. His rapid and accurate passing is a feature. Genia went OK but looked a bit rusty. Kuridrani was good again. Folau was great. Not sure about Tomane. He didn't go too bad yesterday but I'm not sure he terrifies the opposition when the ball touches his hands. He did some good things but he has a few mistakes in hip.
    We look seriously vulnerable under the high ball when they kick it to our wingers.
    The defence got better and better as the game wore on but there was alarming uncertainty at times with "the new system". Plenty of work to do there.
    I thought the Welsh defence, line speed, aggression and commitment was outstanding. This was a real hard test match and it is a credit to the boys that we won it. We looked to be fading like so many tests of the recent past but we turned the momentum around and found a way to win. That in itself is a great sign. It was a great game to watch as well. The Welsh are playing a great brand of rugby and their forwards are very physical.
    A great win.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner

vCash
    I'm surprised that people think Skelton had a positive impact. Yes he was decent around the ground, but he is hopeless in the scrum and really provided no support to the tighthead when he was on. His body height is atrocious an bind is very soft.
    The scrum was going very well up until the point he came on, when it became an absolute shambles. Don't think we can afford that in test rugby so he shouldn't be considered until that is sorted. I attribute that penalty try to him.

I was hoping to see Tet pack down a scrum to see how he would go, but guess that will have to wait until next time.

We definitely did well to get the win from that game though. We were pretty much outplayed for most of it. Good sign when you can do that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    I'm surprised that people think Skelton had a positive impact. Yes he was decent around the ground, but he is hopeless in the scrum and really provided no support to the tighthead when he was on. His body height is atrocious an bind is very soft.
    The scrum was going very well up until the point he came on, when it became an absolute shambles.
    I read it the other way chiraag, I thought he was nice and busy in the first ten minutes, which contained maybe 2 scrums, Skeltons first two scrums were solid, which has to be some credit to him, because Slipper was wearing roller skates up until then. I was pretty pleased with what he did (and we all know I've been vociferous in my criticism up until now) last night, we saw how badly his form suffers when he's tired.......which comes pretty quickly, because he's not used to hard work. I hope to God he doesn't look at alastair night and say shit I was tired, I'm never doing that again, because I finally saw a little spark of promise in him around the field.

After ten minutes, he was buggered, and played like a lump of roasted jelly.

C'mon the

vCash
    I can not for the life of me work out how a professional player whose just had a full season with the Tahs (and we keep hearing how hard Cheika trains them) & is at Test level rugby with the best trainers dietitians available not be fit? Is he only doing 1 hour training & then goes to straight to Maccers & then to bed? Very frustrating player on the field - gets the ball fine then takes 2 steps, looks to offload then goes straight to ground. Bout time he learnt to start those ginormous pins peddling on the turf & making some metres!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I can not for the life of me work out how a professional player whose just had a full season with the Tahs (and we keep hearing how hard Cheika trains them) & is at Test level rugby with the best trainers dietitians available not be fit? Is he only doing 1 hour training & then goes to straight to Maccers & then to bed? Very frustrating player on the field - gets the ball fine then takes 2 steps, looks to offload then goes straight to ground. Bout time he learnt to start those ginormous pins peddling on the turf & making some metres!
    You're talking about genia, yeah?

vCash
    Still working on my ruck analysis (as there is life outside rugby) but I thought I'd start with the final 13 minutes.

I've commented that Hooper needed to be subbed on a number of occasions because he looked "spent" after ~65 minutes and was having little impact on the game. BUT in the game against Wales he really lifted in the last 10 minutes (Maybe having a fresh Hodgo beside him created some pressure.)

In the last 13 minutes:
    + Hooper laid on 6 of his 17 tackles. Others with good numbers were McCalman 3 (of his 10) and Faulkner 3 (13 mins).

+ There were 48 rucks in these 13 minutes (33 in Attack and 15 in Defence).
    + Hooper made 16 (48%) of the rucks in Attack but only a single ruck in Defence. Seems that he was providing tackle support.
    + Hodgson made 10 (30%) of the rucks in Attack and 8 (53%) of the rucks in Defence.

+ Hooper made 17 rucks, 9 with early engagement (1st or 2nd) (53%) and 5 with impact (29%).
    + Hodgson* made 18 rucks, 15 early (83%) and 11 with impact (61%); 1 critical turnover, 1 tackle. (Go you good thing!!!).
    + Skelton* made 11 rucks, 9 early (82%) and 5 with impact (45%). 1 tackle and 1 tackle-assist.
    + Horwill made 11 rucks, 8 early (73%) and 8 with impact (73%).
    + Hanson* made 9 rucks, 8 early (89%) and 2 with impact (22%).
    + Leali'ifano made 8 rucks, 8 early (100%) and 8 with impact (100%).
    + McCalman made 7 rucks, 6 early (86%) and 2 with impact (29%).
    + Alexander* made 7 rucks, 4 early (57%) and 1 with impact (15%).
    + Kuridrani made 5 rucks, 4 early (80%) and 2 with impact (40%).
    + Tomane made 4 rucks, 4 early (100%).
    + Faulkner* made 4 rucks, 2 early (50%) and 2 with impact (50%).
    + Folau made 3 rucks, all early and 2 with impact (67%).
    + Other players had only minor ruck involvements.

Comments:
    * Indicates replacements. These 5 all worked hard.
    + Early engagement = 1st or 2nd to ruck.
    +"Impact" means active engagement, strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, etc. i.e. more than hand on someone's bum or playing statues.
    + Ben McCalman was a workhorse all game and still put in at the end! (But we know that already).
    + Good 7 minutes by Tetera Faulkner
    + Impressed by the ongoing involvement in rucks by Leali'ifano, Kuridrani, Tomane and Folau (2 impressive cleanouts). I expect that these players are listening to Cheika.
    +GIGS20 - Not sure if I can do much more than this. It does give an indication as to who is having an impact at ruck time.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 12-11-14 at 19:11.

Veteran
    vCash
    I was very excited when hodgo got that steal! I said to the missus he would get one - and bam!

It is so good to destroy their momentum like that!

Champion
    vCash
    Some great comments on us Aussies, but geez I thought, Roberts and North are dangerous. Imagine a backline with Foles, Roberts, Kuridrani, North on one wing, AAC on the other and Izzy at 15.

The Welsh missed 1/2 penny big time, Biggar was hot and cold, front row good in the scrums but besides Hibberd the other two do little in open play.

I must take back my earlier criticism of Skelton, he came on and was involved in the first 3 out of four rucks and did a whole lot more than done in the past. Now, I'd just like to see him get to his feet a lot quicker and put on the leg drive. An extra metre with 3-4 defenders on his back and Phipps will have a 3 lane highway open up around the edges.

vCash
    Great win by the boys! Wales must be very deflated now. 10 on the trot against the team with a new coach and regarded by the NH press as the most inferior SH team and hence the one to beat. Where to now for Wales I wonder.

I thought Foley had a great game and thoroughly deserved the MOM he received. Would have to think that he has sewn up the 10 for the time being, he just doesn't take the stupid option. Cooper does some great stuff, but terrible stuff as well. Cooper would be spewing that link has left the wallaby building. Might be a while before he gets a look in now. If anything, the wallabies improved as they closed this one out more convincingly as previous matches against Wales. A great sign considering their second match with a new coach.

Slipper would have to be the first choice in the front row and faingaa was much improved. Not sure about alexander though. Macmahon was a bit quiet at 6 but that was to be expected considering the opposition and he will be the so much better for his time on the field but i'm still not sold on playing him and cooper in the back row together against the big boys.

Israel had a great game. I know he is great in broken play and under the high ball, even when he chimes in as a backline option he attracted 3 or 4 defenders to him. He needs to see more of the play and the ball. For that reason cheika needs to see how he would perform in the centres. Christian had a fairly quiet game and if his goal kicking is not needed I think Folau and Kurindrani in the centres would make the earth shake and put the fear of god into opposition teams.

No idea who should be playing lock.

Just great to get a win on Wales home turf. Wales lost their direction when biggar went off. They were pathetic at rolling away as well which joubert did not ping them for and got away with a few crooked lineouts.

Hope the boys keep improving. Congrats to our boys. faulkner for his first cap, McCalman as solid as ever and hodgo for his cameo at the end.

Last edited by Herbasimplex; 10-11-14 at 11:41.

vCash

vCash
    and just for shits and giggles...

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah that is REALLY bad. That being said, it was not that side of the scrum that was the issue. Unfortunately Kepu had a bad game. he coughed the ball up quite a few times, and his side of the scrum was not as it should be.

vCash
    ....and whats Captain Hooper doing...

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Ruck involvement for full game:

Starters

Forwards
    + Hooper (83mins) made 46 rucks, 29 early (63%) and 17 with impact (37%).
    + McMahon (70 mins) made 33 rucks, 30 early (91%) and 20 with impact (61%).
    + Slipper (73 mins) made 33 rucks, 26 early (79%), and 18 with impact (55%).
    + McCalman (80 mins) made 32 rucks, 23 early (72%) and 20 with impact (65%).
    + Simmons (67 mins) made 30 rucks, 23 early (77%) and 3 with impact (10%).
    + Kepu (65 mins) made 28 rucks, 21 early (75%) and 16 with impact (57%).
    + Fainga’a (59 mins) made 28 rucks, 19 early (75%) and 16 with impact (57%).
    + Carter (50 mins) made 25 rucks, 19 early (76%) and 9 with impact (36%).

Backs
    + Leali'ifano (76 mins) made 22 rucks, 20 early (91%) and 13 with impact (59%).
    + Kuridrani (80 mins) made 22 rucks, 16 early (73%) and 9 with impact (41%).
    + Folau (80 mins) made 19 rucks, 16 early (84%) and 13 with impact (68%).
    + Tomane (80 mins) made 18 rucks, 12 early (67%) and 8 with impact (44%).
    + Foley (80 mins) made 13 rucks, 10 early (77%), and 10 with impact (77%).
    + AAC (80 mins) made 8 rucks, 6 early (75%), and 6 with impact (75%).
    + Phipps (68 mins) made 5 rucks, 3 early (60%) and 4 with impact (80%).

Off the bench
    + Skelton (33 mins) made 21 rucks, 18 early (86%) and 15 with impact (71%).
    + Hodgson (13 mins) made 18 rucks, 15 early (83%) and 11 with impact (61%).
    + Horwill (16 mins) made 12 rucks, 9 early (75%) and 9 with impact (75%).
    + Alexander (18 mins) made 12 rucks, 8 early (67%) and 8 with impact (67%).
    + Hanson (24 mins) made 10 rucks, 9 early (90%) and 3 with impact (30%).

Comments:
    + Early engagement = 1st or 2nd to ruck.
    + Impact = active engagement, strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, etc.
    (more than hand on someone's bum or playing statues.)
    +Horrible job being a statistician!!!

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 10-11-14 at 18:23.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast