Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Proposed new multi-purpose stadium

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Surely a business case for a dedicated stadium exists, i dare say it's looking better then the business plan for an oval stadium, if not now then in 2/3 years. But then it gets back to the government wanting everyone to play at their White elephant in order to justify it.

Its definately not like the Government in this state to plan anything for the future, or they just have to get out of the "tahman" position they have for the AFL
    They have three problems.

1. They can't convince Rugby Supporters to be happy at Subi until the MPS is finished.

2. Lot's of people are starting to realise the logistics of MPS ground conversion and match scheduling are very shaky indeed. Well if you're genuine about giving all tenants fair consideration they are anyway. When you start to factor in the probable expansions of the rectangular codes they look unworkable.

3. If there are enough people questioning things they might need to revisit the whole thing and maybe scale back the spending on the "Great Oval Masterpiece."

I still think 1.1 billion might be enough for 2 great stadia to be built. I'm no architect or engineer but I'd be surprised if there are not enough innovative thinkers out there to come up with 2 designs which are capable of further expansion when the time is right.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I still think 1.1 billion might be enough for 2 great stadia to be built. I'm no architect or engineer but I'd be surprised if there are not enough innovative thinkers out there to come up with 2 designs which are capable of further expansion when the time is right.
    I'll see if I can have a rummage trough the report and find some figures....I think the build costs for a Revamped Subiaco oval came in at about 280 million or something like that, and about 160-200 million for a brand spanking 35,000 seater on the grounds of MES (That's a level MES and start from scratch solution) so I can't see how upgrading both of those to as-new stadia would blow out to much more than 6-700 mill....sounds like a lot until you call it a 400 million dollar saving!

Only drawback is we don't have a 60,000 seat rectangle, but then ARU doesn't care a toss for the shape of the ground when allocating venues for test matches, How many Bledisloes have been played at the MCG? What shape is that ground?

C'mon the

vCash
    Octagon??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'm no architect or engineer but I'd be surprised if there are not enough innovative thinkers out there to come up with 2 designs which are capable of further expansion when the time is right.

How about a simple rectangular bowl to begin with? The covering over the spectators could be movable, back and forth up and down the rows of seats, so in essence you could change the size of the ground depending on the expected attendance on the day. The roof could be placed half-way up the rows and hang over the front rows of seats to increase atomsphere, on low attendance days; the rows up at the back in the early development could be grass or terraces which would be fully opened to the public (ie the roof in position at the top/back of the stand) on capacity crowd days. In future these could be made eventually into fully seated stands as consistent demand grows and budget permits. I would also consider the idea of having the front rows at one end of the ground movable, so you'd be right up near the goal for a soccer match or have very deep in-goals for a rugby match.

Cheers,
    Matty

PS: Will try to post a picture of what I mean soon!

Last edited by chibi; 30-04-08 at 00:31.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Chibi, your blue posts are a little hard to read for old farts with bad eyesight.... Just a suggestion....

vCash
    Sorry, trying a different blue, how's this?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Actually I dont know why they just utilize a proven design and save the costs of architects etc. there are 3 Stadiums in Australia right now that I think are perfect.

Small: Blue Tongue Stadium Gosford
    Medium: Skilled Stadium Gold Coast
    Large: SunCorp Stadium (Lang Park) Brisbane.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Sorry, trying a different blue, how's this?
    Trying making the font larger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Medium: Skilled Stadium Gold Coast
    That's a little ripper. 25,000 seats and cost $160m. So a 35,000 seat model should cost $224m? Maybe not but it would leave nearly $900m for Carps to build somewhere new for his team to under perform in future. Can't see a problem. Well not if you don't count the Govt/WAFC missing out on forcing the other codes to help with running costs.

Maybe Carps and his buddies could lower their sights a little as a trade-off for being able to have a new stadium that suits their strangely shaped game and can break even. After all they're the odd ones out, trying to play football on cricket grounds. Crikey, even their Irish mates got that part right.

vCash
    I think a major part of this stadium issue is Alan Carpenter attempting to leave his mark on the state, pretty much like Rickard Court and his belltower. Its no wonder nothing in this state gets done when the WAFC have him in their back pocket.

Did anyone see the turf at ANZ stadium over the weekend. I saw it on friday (ANZAC Day match Dragons vs Roosters) and it was looking pretty dodgy. In the past 3 weeks i think there has been roughly 6 or 7 games of League, and 1 of AFL (Swans vs Eagles) and chuck in a bit of rain and it looked like shit.

I guess i'm trying to raise the overuse of the ground factor, then you chuck in the damage to the turf that frequent reconfigurating of the ground will do

Last edited by jargan83; 30-04-08 at 09:20.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I think a major part of this stadium issue is Alan Carpenter attempting to leave his mark on the state, pretty much like Rickard Court and his belltower. Its no wonder nothing in this state gets done when the WAFC have him in their back pocket.

Did anyone see the turf at ANZ stadium over the weekend. I saw it on friday (ANZAC Day match Dragons vs Roosters) and it was looking pretty dodgy. In the past 3 weeks i think there has been roughly 6 or 7 games of League, and 1 of AFL (Swans vs Eagles) and chuck in a bit of rain and it looked like shit.

I guess i'm trying to raise the overuse of the ground factor, then you chuck in the damage to the turf that frequent reconfigurating of the groud will do
    Great point. With the grounds having to use on turf advertisements that differ for each code, the only way to remove it is by drenching the signs with water. This means if a S14, A League WAFL and AFl game were played in a single week (very possible), then the ground would be getting drenched regularly, more than required for normal greenskeeping. No wonder ANZ looked dodgy.

vCash
    Turf management then leads to player safety

vCash
    subi is getting torn up from overuse as well,
    having the eagles train there during the week, and potentially 2 games there on the weekend.
    thinking of the pressure that scrums and mauls put on the grass, its not hard to see why its getting ripped up.

if you want to see what i mean. rock up for the curtain raiser on saturday and go sit up the back so you have clear view of the pitch.

vCash
    Yes but if you listen to the WAFC thats our fault and not the fact that both AFL sides train there minimum twice a week.

WAFC = wankers

vCash
    well they are the ones who are keeping us at the same stadium.
    for these last 2 matches i hope they tear the living shit out of the ground...

all it would take for MES to have money put into it would be the WAFC saying that they dont want the force to share the new ground...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast