Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Great win Aus 20 Poms 14

Champion
    vCash
    Sorry, but we still have nothing of substance in attack in the backline. Just compare Michalak to Beale...Sorry but our No. 10 doesn't even come close.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    my thoughts on the Manu Tuilagi "try"? It failed on four levels:
    1) Tuilagi is allowed to place the ball wherever he wants being tackled, however he made another movement trying to reach the tryline so he played on after being tackled. And he was off his feet. No try.
    2) He missed the tryline with his first attempt. He was short. He only has the one shot at it, so at that precise moment he did not score a try.
    3) The ball rolled forward in order to reach the tryline. Knock on. No try.
    4) His hand slipped off the ball when he placed it the first time. When the ball rolled forward, he was no longer in control placing downward pressure. No try.

This was in clear view from numerous angles. A truly disgraceful decision.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    SB - true that but HB's try was off a forward pass and the confusion at the breakdown led to numerous French style decisions on both sides..

Still not convinced by Beale, Phipps and Palau. Australia need a real No8 and no one is putting their hand up at the moment. For all my negativity re Tapuai... he had a good game. Diggers was unsighted as was Mitchel when he came on and Barnes needs to attack the line as opposed to kick when he has so much time to pressure the defensive line.

All in all a significant improvement on last week against a disappointing English team

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    Benny Mac as the No.8?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Veteran
    vCash
    SB, he never had a second movement, he slid along the ground, then placed the ball, nothing wrong there in my opinion.

On the grounding, i thought it was tough to see whether it was on the line or not. to me, that was a 50-50 call, and a good attack was rewarded with the try.

I also do not think that it was a forward pass. The ball is allowed to travel forwards, as long as it leaves the hands going backwards, relative to the passer. it was quite flat, but i still think there was nothing wrong with the pass.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Sorry, but we still have nothing of substance in attack in the backline. Just compare Michalak to Beale...Sorry but our No. 10 doesn't even come close.
    First time playing together, once they can string some games together it will be good.

Hopefully deans lets it come together, and doesn't put the injuries back in, just because they are fit.

I don't get how deans has a crash ball running in 12. Is that how he ran it at the crusaders?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    1) Tuilagi is allowed to place the ball wherever he wants being tackled, however he made another movement trying to reach the tryline so he played on after being tackled. And he was off his feet. No try.
    2) He missed the tryline with his first attempt. He was short. He only has the one shot at it, so at that precise moment he did not score a try.
    4) His hand slipped off the ball when he placed it the first time. When the ball rolled forward, he was no longer in control placing downward pressure. No try.

I agree wholeheartedly with point 4, I thought he'd dropped the ball. As for the others, and assuming it passed the knock on test. I would think from the footage that the placement was one continuous movement and therefore ok he might have advanced the ball post placing it, but he didn't pick it up and go again, so it's a judgement call on whether it was one movement or two.

I thought he didn't have any downward pressure on the first shot and then rolled his hand over the top of the ball to force it......clear knock on in my book, but a hard one to judge as he never lost contact with the ball.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    In the middle of South China sea, and able to at long last get some rugby news! Well done HB! Haven't read all the posts but nothing on Sharpie! Was he Capt? I saw a smidgins of the BOCS v Ireland start of 2nd half? Ireland was leading did the Irish win? Please give me up to date scores of tour so far!! Keep losing connection! My iPad screen is pink too! what's that about?? Only one bottle of wine last night!! So can't be that!!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    SB, he never had a second movement, he slid along the ground, then placed the ball, nothing wrong there in my opinion.

On the grounding, i thought it was tough to see whether it was on the line or not. to me, that was a 50-50 call, and a good attack was rewarded with the try.

I also do not think that it was a forward pass. The ball is allowed to travel forwards, as long as it leaves the hands going backwards, relative to the passer. it was quite flat, but i still think there was nothing wrong with the pass.
    I agree with all of the above. The question to me was whether or not when he first reached out the ball touched the line or not. I don't think the camera angle conclusively showed this and after the first movement he knocked on so no try from that point on. I think decision was fair enough to give it.

vCash
    Good to see Sharpie only had one drink after the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post

You don't fully understand what is a double-movement. A double movement is when a player is stopped and then makes a second movement. Tuilagi doesn't stop. He is tackled short of the line, but his momentum carries him forward. There are not two separate movements.

Veteran
    vCash
    after he stops, he can then immediately make a lunge for the line.

vCash
    I expected the try to be given. He just knicked the chalk. That is just an example of the fine line at test level.

In the heat of the moment it looked like a try. Despite 27 super slow mo's it looked like a try rather than not. Benefit of the doubt. A win for attacking rugby. I hope there is more of it.

Benefit of the small doubt to the try scorer. Great decision

Now in my moleskin trousers and my Williams boots
    Aboard an outlaw as he leaves the chutes
    In my goose neck spurs I rake their fiery hide
    And the girls all shouting around the ringside
    Oh he's the Fulla from Cunnamulla
    Yeah he's the Cunnamulla Fulla

vCash
    last time i check benefit of the doubt was a league thing. you must be able to say it was a try any doubt then its not a try.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast