Page 32 of 149 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 132 ... LastLast

Thread: Terms of Reference for a Senate Inquiry into the Future of Rugby Union in Australia

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UAUdiver1959 View Post
    Why did the ARU not use the excuse of the licence transfer (Cox to the VRU for $1) without ARU sanction as the mechanism to revoke the Victorian licence? I must have missed that during the hearing or is this yet to be asked?
    Pretty obvious that was one of de Clyne's lies.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I am trying to get my head around the various registered players vs participants numbers that get bandied about.

I think these numbers and % will play a big role in the ARU spreadsheet or scorecard, when it is revealed.

A few months ago, I wrote a stinging letter to Eales about “wearing his Qld jumper” when the board approved Qld getting 9 times as much money for grassroots as WA (according to bit I extracted from Alison’s analysis of ARU reports.) Eales wrote back that he was offended by my accusation and he invited me to call him, which I did. During the call, he told me the split up was done on the basis of registered player numbers. At the time I was guessing that Qld would not have more than double the WA number for registered players. According to Pulver’s numbers for “participants”, Qld has 4 times as many participants as WA.

file:///C:/Users/WCMS_USER/Documents/golf-9-9-17/Senate-inquiry-sept2017.pdf

Mr Pulver. Using figures from 2016, I can inform the committee that of 257,000 participants in Australian rugby 42 per cent come from New South Wales; 30 per cent from Queensland; nine per cent from the ACT; seven per cent from WA; six per cent from Victoria; with the balance from South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory.

My breakdown of Pulver’s participant numbers below are:

NSW 107940 42%
    Qld 77100 30%
    ACT 23130 9%
    WA 17990 7%
    Vic 15420 6%
    SA,NT&Tas 15420 6%
    Total 257000 100%

Senator Smith was also later trying understand the numbers in her questions to Sinderberry.

Senator SMITH: I tried to extract this information from Mr Pulver. At the time that Western Force and rugby here in Western Australia is going from strength to strength in terms of participation, what was happening in Victoria in terms of community sport participation rates, for example?

Mr Sinderberry: Like all sports, they measure these things in a range of different ways. Whether participation is measured by children who go along to a school visit, to have one visit a week, or by actual participation numbers when people are playing regularly on a Saturday, there are a range of measures. My understanding was that, during this time, the Western Force did incredibly well in terms of those Saturday participation numbers.

Senator SMITH: When I think of participation numbers I think of young kids and their families going out on a Saturday morning.
    Mr Sinderberry: That's how we normally measure it. In that area, we were well ahead of the Victorians. They were ahead on this experience-type thing, where the kids are going to schools and that sort of thing.

Mr Howarth: I think the numbers in women's rugby are quite significant too.

Mr Sinderberry: We're well ahead on those numbers as well. On what I call troop participation, we were doubling the numbers.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    Pulvers submissions to the inquiry were pathetic. Pulvers questioning of the Senators was pathetic. Pulver taking so many questions on notice was pathetic, no doubt some evidence fabricating is occurring as we speak. Pulvers knowledge of the business he is responsible for the day to day operations of was also pathetic. Claiming ignorance and confidentiality will not work. Pulver, being a board member of SANZAAR and having no idea how SANZAAR operates is pathetic and very worrying that our National body has signed us up to an organization that they have little knowledge of how it benefits Australia. The ARU had the chance to prove themselves and their processes are transparent, they did not. In fact the submission by RugbyWA directly after Pulver started to expose the lies immediately.
    The next inquiry submissions day should be very interesting.
    Pulver opened himself up to an ASIC investigation as he didn't know the publicly available books and where the money was going. He said there was no debt and they were running risk of becoming insolvent. Extreme contradiction.

Champion
    vCash
    JSJ, the ARUs participation figures get blurred by the ARU counting "rugby experiences", things like school visits, Development Officer clinics, not purely registered players. In registered players WA has about 10 000 more registered players then Victoria. WA 14 500 - Victoria 4500. Total registered players in Australia are approximately 87 000.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...95c90a8a444724

^^^ Link to the ARU admitting they fudge the numbers

https://melbournerebels.com/2016/10/...participation/

^^^^ VRU announcement on registered players.

WA figures taken from RugbyWAs submission to the Senate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugb...n_in_Australia

^^^ Registration figures according to Wikipedia, yes i know, not a great source.

Champion
    vCash
    Thanks Kalahard. Some good sources there.

Does anybody else have any numbers with sources?

I would like to put in a submission, just on this subject. So the Senators are well informed before they see Rob Clarke's spreadsheet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Thanks Kalahard. Some good sources there.

Does anybody else have any numbers with sources?

I would like to put in a submission, just on this subject. So the Senators are well informed before they see Rob Clarke's spreadsheet.
    Go for it. Would check the Hansard report as I'm pretty sure that Senator Smith said he will look at it.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I am trying to get my head around the various registered players vs participants numbers that get bandied about.

I think these numbers and % will play a big role in the ARU spreadsheet or scorecard, when it is revealed.

A few months ago, I wrote a stinging letter to Eales about “wearing his Qld jumper” when the board approved Qld getting 9 times as much money for grassroots as WA (according to bit I extracted from Alison’s analysis of ARU reports.) Eales wrote back that he was offended by my accusation and he invited me to call him, which I did. During the call, he told me the split up was done on the basis of registered player numbers. At the time I was guessing that Qld would not have more than double the WA number for registered players. According to Pulver’s numbers for “participants”, Qld has 4 times as many participants as WA.

file:///C:/Users/WCMS_USER/Documents/golf-9-9-17/Senate-inquiry-sept2017.pdf

Mr Pulver. Using figures from 2016, I can inform the committee that of 257,000 participants in Australian rugby 42 per cent come from New South Wales; 30 per cent from Queensland; nine per cent from the ACT; seven per cent from WA; six per cent from Victoria; with the balance from South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory.

My breakdown of Pulver’s participant numbers below are:

NSW 107940 42%
    Qld 77100 30%
    ACT 23130 9%
    WA 17990 7%
    Vic 15420 6%
    SA,NT&Tas 15420 6%
    Total 257000 100%

Senator Smith was also later trying understand the numbers in her questions to Sinderberry.

Senator SMITH: I tried to extract this information from Mr Pulver. At the time that Western Force and rugby here in Western Australia is going from strength to strength in terms of participation, what was happening in Victoria in terms of community sport participation rates, for example?

Mr Sinderberry: Like all sports, they measure these things in a range of different ways. Whether participation is measured by children who go along to a school visit, to have one visit a week, or by actual participation numbers when people are playing regularly on a Saturday, there are a range of measures. My understanding was that, during this time, the Western Force did incredibly well in terms of those Saturday participation numbers.

Senator SMITH: When I think of participation numbers I think of young kids and their families going out on a Saturday morning.
    Mr Sinderberry: That's how we normally measure it. In that area, we were well ahead of the Victorians. They were ahead on this experience-type thing, where the kids are going to schools and that sort of thing.

Mr Howarth: I think the numbers in women's rugby are quite significant too.

Mr Sinderberry: We're well ahead on those numbers as well. On what I call troop participation, we were doubling the numbers.
    The other thing the ARUs figures show is what a pathetic job they are doing in WA of promoting growth. 17 990 "participants" minus 14 500 registered players leaves 3500. The ARU visited 3500 school kids in WA. 42% of 87000 is 36540. NSW has 36540 registered players yet the ARU shows there was almost 108 000 rugby participants. 108 000 minus 36540 is 71 500ish. So the ARU visited 68 000 more kids in NSW then WA.

Promoting growth is not their strong point.

Champion
    vCash
    Surely it is the state rugby bodies that visit the schools etc to promote participation using the grassroots money from ARU?

So if WA received $200K last year and Vic received $450K for example, then Vic could afford 250% more bodies to visit schools. And Qld 900% etc.

Self perpetuating circle.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Member figures get fudged about a bit too. Some might recall an InnFORCErs Tour to Darwin a few years ago for a Force v Brumbies pre season trial match.

The grandstand entry fee was about $50 which included " a Brumbies hat and complimentary Brumbies membership"

Thankfully Mitch Hardy fixed us up with some tickets sans memberships and we had a wonderful time including many drinkies Cam Sheps parents ( Mrs Shep can sure put away some bubbles ), tours of Crown land etc.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Going to Mendoza next week (happen to be in Argy for 'work' that week). Me and my mate will be wearing our Force tops and hats. How can I get a FUARU banner or WF flag. I am confident we would get some TV air time if we were mad as hell waving them?

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Member figures get fudged about a bit too. Some might recall an InnFORCErs Tour to Darwin a few years ago for a Force v Brumbies pre season trial match.

The grandstand entry fee was about $50 which included " a Brumbies hat and complimentary Brumbies membership"

Thankfully Mitch Hardy fixed us up with some tickets sans memberships and we had a wonderful time including many drinkies Cam Sheps parents ( Mrs Shep can sure put away some bubbles ), tours of Crown land etc.
    Yep, theres so many numbers out there around memberships, crowd numbers, participation and registered players it is difficult to know which ones are accurate.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UAUdiver1959 View Post
    Going to Mendoza next week (happen to be in Argy for 'work' that week). Me and my mate will be wearing our Force tops and hats. How can I get a FUARU banner or WF flag. I am confident we would get some TV air time if we were mad as hell waving them?
    Try pointing lasers?

vCash
    Yep, theres so many numbers out there around memberships, crowd numbers, participation and registered players it is difficult to know which ones are accurate.
    The ones you don't hear about. For example, the 7-9,000 crowd at a Rebels game last year when Rebels fans in the crowd were saying it was more like 3,000.

That is the truth but would never be made public.

Champion
    vCash
    JSJ, the ARUs participation figures get blurred by the ARU counting "rugby experiences", things like school visits, Development Officer clinics, not purely registered players. In registered players WA has about 10 000 more registered players then Victoria. WA 14 500 - Victoria 4500. Total registered players in Australia are approximately 87 000.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...95c90a8a444724

^^^ Link to the ARU admitting they fudge the numbers

https://melbournerebels.com/2016/10/...participation/

^^^^ VRU announcement on registered players.

WA figures taken from RugbyWAs submission to the Senate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugb...n_in_Australia

^^^ Registration figures according to Wikipedia, yes i know, not a great source.
    Hi Kala,
    Take a look at these two World Rugby figures for 2016. Australian has 87,000 registered players in one and 231,000 in the other.
    NZ has the same number 150,000 in both and the world total is similar.

file:///C:/Users/WCMS_USER/Downloads/2016-PARTICIPATION-MAP-FINAL.pdf
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ying_countries

Champion
    vCash
    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...ed-bag-2017-4Y

Then there are articles like this ^^ that show a rough break down of the figures by a 3rd party source which also goes on to state an increase of 2.1% in participation, a 148% increase in broadcast revenue, 18% increase in sponsorship revenue and a profit of $3.7 million released on 11 April 2017, a day after the ARU presented RugbyWA the scoresheet or the spreadcard or whatever it is called now claiming they were facing financial ruin despite most indicators showing growth financially.

Page 32 of 149 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 132 ... LastLast