Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: FORCE ON TRACK TO FILL HEAD COACH ROLE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I reckon Eddie O'Sullivan would be a bad call.

He doesn't know the competition. He doesn't know the players. He hasn't really been top level coaching for a while so he probably doesn't have the kind of prestige you would need to attract Australian players.
    Agreed. Unless, that is, you want to see more one-out phase play from the Force, for ANOTHER season. And someone who parachutes in for the season and then F's off back to Ireland.

That's what he did in the US. Granted, the talent pool in the US is much shallower than in Oz, but do you really think that a washed out Ireland and USA coach is going to attract the international-level (or even up and coming) talent that the Force need?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I really wonder sometimes if those in charge at Force HQ would know what a good coach or a half decent player actually looks like. I am presently dreading the outcome of the current search for a coach.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Somebody mentioned Tim Lane to me tonight. Not a name I recognise. Anyone??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthChicka View Post
    Somebody mentioned Tim Lane to me tonight. Not a name I recognise. Anyone??
    No, but if he's completely unknown and unlikely to be a draw card for quality players then I fully expect FHQ to sign him up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Wikipedia says he's head coach of the Georgian international side. Nuff said.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I like the Georgians, they play with passion! I don't think that has much to do with the skills of their coach though

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    WFHQ should put an offer in front of Nick Mallet "That he can not refuse"
    Spend the money on the right coach before the roster or we won't have a roster that can win next season...really its a no brainer

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Come up through the NSW comp, haven't time so pinched this off Wiki:

Tim Lane (born 24 November 1959 in Coonabarabran, New South Wales) is an Australian rugby union coach and former player.

Playing career
    As a player, he played either in the centres or at fly-half. He represented the New South Wales Waratahs and also won three caps for the Wallabies.

Coaching career
    He started his coaching career at the Manly club in Sydney where in one season took them to an undefeated premiership. In 1998 he took on the job of an assistant coach for the Wallabies, coaching the back-line during which time the team successfully won the Bledisloe Cup and Tri- Nations and the 1999 Rugby World Cup in Wales. In 2000 he took over coaching at Clermont Ferrand in France where he took the club to the final in his first season. At the end of the 2000/01 French season he joined the Springboks as an assistant coach for the back-line. Following coaching appointments with the Cats, the Italian national side, the Ricoh Black Rams and CA Brive he joined Toulon in January 2007 for the remainder of the 2006/07 season where he was successful in helping the club in its bid for promotion to the Top 14.

Since February 2008 he has been head coach of the Georgia national rugby union team.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I agree with GIGGS about the Georgians. They were aggressive and never gave up in any of their matches. They flogged the Romanians and were well in the games right to the end against the Argies and the Scots.

Tim Lane would be due a lot of credit for their play. But he's not currently their coach and didn't actually coach them at RWC. He returned to Oz as coach of Manly in the Shute Shield last year to take over from some bloke called Phil Blake.

He'd make a good backs coach. Already got one RWC title under his belt in that role. Possibly a good head coach? Maybe.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    if at all possible i dont think that rugby wa should gamble on another unproven coach.

we need someone with the experience and the metal to make hard calls, and build a decent culture

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    if at all possible i dont think that rugby wa should gamble on another unproven coach.

we need someone with the experience and the metal to make hard calls, and build a decent culture
    Couldn't agree more.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I'm pretty sure that's the general consensus
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Come up through the NSW comp, haven't time so pinched this off Wiki:

Tim Lane (born 24 November 1959 in Coonabarabran, New South Wales) is an Australian rugby union coach and former player.

Playing career
    As a player, he played either in the centres or at fly-half. He represented the New South Wales Waratahs and also won three caps for the Wallabies.

Coaching career
    He started his coaching career at the Manly club in Sydney where in one season took them to an undefeated premiership. In 1998 he took on the job of an assistant coach for the Wallabies, coaching the back-line during which time the team successfully won the Bledisloe Cup and Tri- Nations and the 1999 Rugby World Cup in Wales. In 2000 he took over coaching at Clermont Ferrand in France where he took the club to the final in his first season. At the end of the 2000/01 French season he joined the Springboks as an assistant coach for the back-line. Following coaching appointments with the Cats, the Italian national side, the Ricoh Black Rams and CA Brive he joined Toulon in January 2007 for the remainder of the 2006/07 season where he was successful in helping the club in its bid for promotion to the Top 14.

Since February 2008 he has been head coach of the Georgia national rugby union team.
    Thanks for researching that Burgs

Last edited by PerthChicka; 27-05-12 at 14:51. Reason: Spelling (too much champagne!!!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jt12 View Post
    WFHQ should put an offer in front of Nick Mallet "That he can not refuse"
    Spend the money on the right coach before the roster or we won't have a roster that can win next season...really its a no brainer
    Agree, Nick also has an interesting view of Perth that he got from around World Cup time. I hope we could correct it for him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3