Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ryan crossing fingers over club rugby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    this is a bit late to comment on.
    but Burgs, you say that like Rugby WA would have been given a choice in the matter
    There are always choices in life, but was probably refering more to their previously stated stance of "Under no circumstances will we allow players to play for Eastern State Clubs instead of their WA Club" or words to that effect.
    First bit of pressure and the fold without a whimper.

The precident is now there and I would think we will see most of the Squad back east in the off season within two years unless they grow a set and make a concerted effort to continue to grow the depth and standard of WA Rugby.

With all the resources wealth in this state they need to be looking big picture and growing (through recruitment) the RWA comp up to at least QRU standard.
    Develop a bigger pot of gold to hand out to the Clubs so they can attract players from wherever, preferably ones who are or are willing to become elligible for S14, and see todays 1st's become tomorrow's 2nd's.

When the franchise was announced there was a swag of interest from South Africa of players willing to come to WA and spend their time in the local comp while they gained residency. After that initial announcement there has been nothing more said but I am sure there would still be interest if the approach was made.

Obviously local development is a key however that process is only one aspect, not the full answer and if the locals are good enough they will thrive on the extra competition, which is lower than they would experience in S14 anyway.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Read it again, mate. You might get it.

Perhaps I'll label my next one with a sarcasm label for you, Mose.

Maybe our thirds and fifths are more comparable, Fulvio
    Just to clarify, your argument is that the Perth grade competition is more competitive than the Shute Shield?

If this is the case then why would Cross change allegiences to Hickey's squad on the weekend?
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Haven't seen any of those in Sydney for a long time.
    Sage and Jesus play 4/5th's for Hornsby, just cause you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Good point Burgs, well made.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moses
    Just to clarify, your argument is that the Perth grade competition is more competitive than the Shute Shield?

If this is the case then why would Cross change allegiences to Hickey's squad on the weekend?
    Because he was asked to by Robbie Deans due to it not being feasible to fly him to Perth to play one game and then back to Sydney a day later to resume training.
    Hime playing with a Syndey-based team allows him to keep his foot in the ddor at Wallabies training camp and still get a game in this weekend.

vCash
    Funny that he had to make an emergency transfer in order to play one game.

Still, for the incoming NSW coach to see him up close and personal will go a fair way to our retaining the Cannon Cup for a fourth year runnign.

vCash
    Is that because we have more than one player in our backline Mose?

C'mon the

vCash
    one weakness is all we need to exploit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    one weakness is all we need to exploit
    So Dunning can use his new found 'Campese' skills?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post

Sage and Jesus play 4/5th's for Hornsby, just cause you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not there.

Have you been drinking Mose? So far you've got the drift of every post in this little off topic "sub-thread" arse about. I think the Shute Shield is quite a bit higher standard than the WA Firsts. But I would not agree that the skills of your poofy powder blues are of a higher standard than our boys'.

Nobody doubts that 4th/5th grade is played in Sydney. Fulvio referred to Mandurah which only fields 3rds & 5ths. What I meant was that I hadn't watched it personally for a long time. I've lived in WA since 1977.

If you still can't work it out I'll PM you if you like. No sense boring the arse of everybody.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    There are always choices in life, but was probably refering more to their previously stated stance of "Under no circumstances will we allow players to play for Eastern State Clubs instead of their WA Club" or words to that effect.
    I agree with all your other points Burgs, but I'm not sure about this one. I think the original stance was that non-Wallaby players would not be allowed to simply do the pre-season and S14 in Perth then return to their Eastern States clubs for the Shute Shield. When you listen to some of the complaints from clubland about how the player allocation is being handled, you've got to wonder about how it's doing anyway.

Personally I think we might have to trust the new Wallaby coaches' judgment about when or whether trans continental flights are a good idea for Wallaby squad members.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    actually from the article i read the other day, Cross said he chose to play in the Sydney comp because it was to far to fly home..

vCash
    You'd have to wonder about the wisdom of flying to Perth for one game and then flying straight back, that'd play merry hell with your perparation....I'd opt for an easier travel schedule too!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    actually from the article i read the other day, Cross said he chose to play in the Sydney comp because it was to far to fly home..
    Yeah, I saw that too. Didn't think of it when I did that post about players returning 'East", but I suppose I shouldn't have said "for the Shute Shield" seeing as we were supposed to be Queensland B or the Western Reds#2 that first year.

vCash
    Moses read it all the transfer of Cross is temporary only. He will be back playing for his local W.A club. It was for convenience only and allowing him a run, in match play conditions.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    No it wasn't. He's never coming back to Uni club rugby. University won't pay him enough to make it worth while, and he's got to make up for the loss of Firepower sponsorship.

I understand Wanneroo have made him an attractive offer though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast