Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    or just breathe heavily

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    been doing that for a decade now...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    ...for ten years of interruptus.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Lance would be a good signing. Definitely an upgrade from someone like Dellit but still not the world class 10 or 13 we need. Not sure who is out there and available but there must be someone. There must be some backline players at the Chiefs, Crusaders or Hurricanes who cant get a game and would move for a starting spot.
    Israel Folau would be a good signing.

Karmichael Hunt would be a good signing.

No disrespect to Jono Lance but I am sick of talking up second string players who can't get a start in other franchises. Over and over again we have seen that we just don't have the cattle to compete.

I know we have built a base of a few players who have made reputations for themselves. And the local talent is slowly coming through.

But that is not enough. I am sick of competing with other Aussie teams like the Reds, Brumbies and Tahds, with them fielding more internationals on their bench than we have on the whole team!!

And why is it so many players go on to play their best rugby when they have left us? Digby Ioane and Drew Mitchell couldn't catch colds when they played for us, and went on to become two if the world's top wingers. I would put Pocock in that bracket too.

We need SOME players in their prime.

I know about the ARU favouritism, the isolation of Perth, the need to build a "champion team rather than a team of champions", but seriously folks, we also need some top quality players who can perform consistently and professionally at this level. Ten years I've been waiting...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Perhaps the ARU need to look at a salary sap subsidy for the Force similar to what the Sydney Swans had with their 'cost of living' allowance. Greater Western Sydney also have additional space in their salary cap in recognition of the unique challenges they face in establishing themselves in the AFL competition.

Perth's a long way from everywhere. You'd think some additional cap space may allow the Force to twist the arms of a few better quality players.

vCash
    Potgieter is leaving the tahs at the end of the year. Perhaps we sign him - as a centre

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moono74 View Post
    Perhaps the ARU need to look at a salary sap subsidy for the Force similar to what the Sydney Swans had with their 'cost of living' allowance. Greater Western Sydney also have additional space in their salary cap in recognition of the unique challenges they face in establishing themselves in the AFL competition.

Perth's a long way from everywhere. You'd think some additional cap space may allow the Force to twist the arms of a few better quality players.
    The difference being the AFL invests in it's not heartland area's. The ARU on the other hand is a NSW centric boys club.

vCash
    the AFL has always been better managed and have a long term vision. the ARU has lived hand to mouth year to year without a plan to grow the game here in oz. The force are in virgin territory. The ARU should be falling over themselves to make us successful to grow the game and increase market share & revenue.

ARU headquarters need to be physically moved to another location ala the ICB and a nationwide pathway for weekend and school rugby for talent identification setup as opposed to relying on the toff schools to develop the talent. Concentrate on getting the structure right to bring more people into the game long term and forget about throwing money at the KHunt's of the world.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post

ARU headquarters need to be physically moved to another location
    Funny you should say that, they are actually moving ARU HQ from St Leonards to Moore Park, right next door to Waratahs HQ, and no I am not joking!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Funny you should say that, they are actually moving ARU HQ from St Leonards to Moore Park, right next door to Waratahs HQ, and no I am not joking!
    hmmm.. was thinking a more distant, like Melbourne or even Perth...

that move will change their mindset so much

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    hmmm.. was thinking a more distant, like Melbourne or even Perth...

that move will change their mindset so much
    Adelaide?

Just a suggestion, but one with some good thinking behind it.

It is pretty central to all the existing rugby franchises, so reduces travel costs and times for ARU staffers to link up with their constituents,
    It's still a capital city, so will have all the infrastructure benefits which come with that
    There isn't a Super Rugby franchise based there so each franchise has the same amount of hassle getting their foot in the door. (Unlike currently where the Waratahs just need to catch a cab across town, or soon where all they will need to do is bang on the wall and the ARU will come running)

I'm sure the cost of living is pretty good in Adelaide too!

C'mon the

vCash
    So GiGS I assume that you're putting me forward for a role?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    So GiGS I assume that you're putting me forward for a role?
    Well, when I wrote the last sentence I was thinking that you seem to have plenty of money to fly around the nation following the Force....perhaps you could use your frequent flyer miles as a bargaining chip?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post
    The difference being the AFL invests in it's not heartland area's.
    That's a bloody good point actually. The AFL has a "top-down" approach to expansion. They select the growth area, and then commit to and invest in it long-term. The NRL have a "bottom-up" approach, they make everyone bid to get in, and then see if they can survive.

Australian Rugby may have needed to go with the latter originally to decide between WA and Victoria, but now that both are in, the time has come to apply the AFL's tactics. They don't have to re-invent the wheel either, because New Zealand use a similar system of player-allocation when it comes to Super Rugby.

The idea of having three, four, then five teams was supposed to be so all of Australia's top players get a game to prevent the European exodus, with the other idea to grow the game in areas with potential. Yet we ended up with a situation where our "provincial representative teams" are trying to outbid each other like soccer clubs. When that happens, only a one or two teams can become Real Madrid, Barçalona, Chelsea or Man City through sustained success breeding more success. The rest will flounder, mediocrity breeding further mediocrity or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Adelaide?

Just a suggestion, but one with some good thinking behind it.

It is pretty central to all the existing rugby franchises, so reduces travel costs and times for ARU staffers to link up with their constituents,
    It's still a capital city, so will have all the infrastructure benefits which come with that
    There isn't a Super Rugby franchise based there so each franchise has the same amount of hassle getting their foot in the door. (Unlike currently where the Waratahs just need to catch a cab across town, or soon where all they will need to do is bang on the wall and the ARU will come running)

I'm sure the cost of living is pretty good in Adelaide too!
    I tell you what, Adelaide threw the best party for the World Cup back in 2003! Even the AFL players were a positive part of the festivities. They turned it into a celebration of the Wallabies first Adelaide test. And because it was also Argentina vs Ireland, they combined it with a festival which was a mash-up of St Patrick's Day and Latin Carnivale.

A 50,000 stadium makes for an alternate Bledisloe venue in the long-run too.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    im going to say a couple of dirty words... Matt Giteau

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast