Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hot Force want to wear Wallabies gold

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Well, Slipper/Kepu/Horwill/Simmons/Palu/TPN/Genia haven't been in sparkling form either, and they are in the main squad!.
    You didn't really expect any of them to be left out did you? They are needed to fill the NSW and Qld quotas! Postcode is more important than form!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I live for the day that a wallabies squad will be picked on form and not reputation.

Mind you, I'm not expecting to see such a day...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Haven't been able to view attachments, maybe it's my laptop.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Great to see 5 of our players getting in and more than QLD. That shows that Ewen is picking on form somewhat and not sticking with his favourites. Would have loved to have seen Cottrell in but there aren't really any backrowers that could have been left out. The train on squad would have been good for him. Hard to argue with most selections, except if he plays Beale at 10 that will be a mistake.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Would've been good to see Longbottom and Cottrell given a go to train with the wider squad at least, given their outstanding form.
    Can't believe Paddy Ryan is getting that oportunity - he's been rubbish all season!
    My thoughts exactly re Paddy Ryan. Spat my coffee out when I saw that bit.

Congrats to the Force guys who did make it though.

vCash
    The thing that may work against Cottrell is that he would really only come under consideration at Blind Side. McCalman, Fardy Hodgo and Higginbotham give the coach many options. Real bastard for Kyle. Didn't really think K Bomb would be on the radar. But I'd have him in a squad of 32.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Great to see 5 of our players getting in and more than QLD. That shows that Ewen is picking on form somewhat and not sticking with his favourites. Would have loved to have seen Cottrell in but there aren't really any backrowers that could have been left out. The train on squad would have been good for him. Hard to argue with most selections, except if he plays Beale at 10 that will be a mistake.
    I'd agree. Even with the strong form Cottrell's been in this year, it's hard to see which backrower you'd take out. Longbottom should definitely have been given a shout ahead of Kepu and Ryan though - not really a "form" selection there...!

Well done to the five picked though........and hopefully it buoys the whole squad for this weekend's game...!

vCash
    Well done to Pek, Nathan, Honey Badger, Ben and Matt, they deserved the call up after their form this year. I feel sorry for Kyle and I had hoped that K-Bomb would have got a chance.

Champion
    vCash

Thumbs up Force three back in fold

Quote Originally Posted by Kept One View Post
    Well done to Pek, Nathan, Honey Badger, Ben and Matt, they deserved the call up after their form this year. I feel sorry for Kyle and I had hoped that K-Bomb would have got a chance.
    Nick Taylor The West Australian
    May 23, 2014, 7:55 am

Three of the Western Force quintet selected in the Australian squad for next month's three-Test series against France have come in from the cold after putting dark days behind them.

The Force's longest serving players, captain Matt Hodgson and prop Pek Cowan, are back after three years in the Wallabies wilderness while hooker Nathan Charles has overcome the disappointment of missing selection after making the 2010 training squad and a 2013 season-ending knee injury.

Hodgson and Cowan are the last Force foundation members still playing and have the chance to reignite their international careers after playing their last Test in 2011 against South Africa.

Force No.8 Ben McCalman and winger Nick Cummins make up the Force contingent in coach Ewen McKenzie's squad.

Hodgson has had a remarkable season.

He is Super Rugby's top tackler with 179 successful hits and coupled with his two dozen turnovers would have been quickly pencilled in by McKenzie.

"You always think that it's over once you play your last game, but every game there's always a little bit of hope and you never say never," Hodgson said.

"You always want to play for your country, it's been a while, but I've enjoyed my football this year and it's good to be rewarded.

"I'm really enjoying leading the boys out there.

"It's another string to my bow and rejuvenated me. The team is doing well and that has been rewarded by having five in the squad."

Cowan said making the Wallabies was a goal he set after pre-season talks with coach Michael Foley.

"He saw a few kinks in my armour. Leading into the season I had to work really hard on those things and it's paid dividends," Cowan said.

"As soon as you stop making the squad you do start questioning yourself and you have to go back and rebuild, try and lead from the front and tick all the boxes on and off the field.

"It hasn't been easy but it's paid off. It's a little bit surreal to be honest."

Charles was given his selection news by Foley on Wednesday afternoon.

"It was hard to contain the smile but we had training straight after and we had to get back to business," Charles said.

"There's always plenty of doubt whether you can make it back again but one thing I took out of my time in rehabilitation for the knee was that it could all be over tomorrow, so enjoy what you have now.

"I've worked hard, enjoyed my rugby and I'm having fun. It's very exciting."

Foley has made two changes to his injury-stricken side for tomorrow night's clash with the Lions at nib Stadium.

Winger Dane Haylett-Petty has been named to replace Marcel Brache who sustained an ankle injury in the loss to the Stormers in Cape Town and second-rower Wilhelm Steenkamp swaps his place on the bench with Adam Coleman.

vCash
    We can do this tomorrow night and our eighth win for the season and fifth straight at home will be great incentives to fire the boys up for it

vCash
    Just watched Rugby HQ and pleased to hear the Link say that he would have picked Kyle, but for injury (last year and this year) and mention Gus as coming close to selection in the Wallabies squad

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Hodgo for wallaby captain?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Hodgo for wallaby captain?
    Would LOVE to see it, but can't see it happening with Hodgo more likely to get a bench spot than a permanent starting spot. His numbers this year are completely stunning but I suspect Hooper's running game will edge Hodgo out in the eyes of the selectors

I reckon he will get a run at some stage but not locked into the starting line up.

vCash
    I think they will have one eye to the future as well and will start to build a "culture" around Hooper. Much as Hodgo is an awesome candidate, I think he's at the wrong end of his career, sadly :-((

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast