Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sonny Bill Williams quits NRL for Toulon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    The Bulldogs have stated on several occasions that he is a "required" player, so if cash settlement is on the cards Toulon will be paying through the nose.

Just because someone else leaves a club doesnt mean that he should chuck the shits and up stumps as well. No loyalty here either
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Tell him not me, I think he looked up to Mason and Mason was the reason he resigned with the Dogs, then Mason ups and leaves and I guess he felt a little betrayed. That with the offer of so much cash obviously was the turning point. I guess Toulon have massive financial support from rich business men so money seems to be no issue.

I am a dinosaur when it comes to loyalty to a club but my philosophy on that falls on deaf ears these days. Players play for money and you can't really blame them. It will be interesting to see if Gits sticks around at the Force if he's not getting the dollars he was promised.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    It's now official!!!. He has signed with second division side Toulon in France, the club that Gregan and Matfield went to coached by Tana Umaga. $3 million for two years, can't blame him for going. Jerry Collins also signed to go there a few weeks ago. I thought they had been promoted to first division but can't remember where I read that.
    its not official, dont jump the gun

the Bulldogs can take out a injunction against SBW which will prevent him playing in England or France.

vCash
    3million for 2 years...

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    its not official, dont jump the gun

the Bulldogs can take out a injunction against SBW which will prevent him playing in England or France.
    Word is he signed for them back in June. This will get messy now between the two clubs. If he doesn't want to play for the Bulldogs why would they want him, he'd only play shit for them anyway.

vCash
    yes but the bulldogs dont want every other player thinking they can just walk out on contracts when they feel

vCash
    yes but the bulldogs dont want every other player thinking they can just walk out on contracts when they feel
    Good point, Toulon have been promoted to the first division (Top 14) for the 2008/2009 season. Even wikipedia have updated their page on the club to say he has signed for them.

Last edited by welshrugbyfan; 26-07-08 at 20:41.

vCash
    wikipedia is updated by members of the public, companies and organisations arent usually the ones to update them.

I think this is going to be a big battle, the Bulldogs already lost face over Mason departing at the start of this season, if SBW was to go as well its going to paint there club very badly and i wouldnt be suprised to see a few other players try and follow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Word is he signed for them back in June. This will get messy now between the two clubs. If he doesn't want to play for the Bulldogs why would they want him, he'd only play shit for them anyway.
    The Bulldogs could just pick him in a feeder side/lower grade. I hope the Bulldogs put their foot down on this, like tocc said, just to prevent other players leaving and show that a contract is a contract.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    This will be interesting if he's already left the country and deciding not to come back I can't see how the dogs can do alot. If they do get an injunction to stop him playing Toulon may just pay out his contract, there is a lot of money at this club.

I think the NRL seriously needs to look at the salary cap issue. I hope for the sake of the league fans in this country that this doesn't lead to the flood gates of players leaving for Europe.

vCash
    problem with the salary cap is that there just isnt enough money in the game at the moment, its kind of a catch-22 situation.

they cant afford to keep the best players so they let them go, next time the sponsorship arrangements and broadcast deals come up the companies will be reluctant to spend as much because its not the best players/competition. In turn there will be even less money to keep the better players.

If the NRL took away the salary cap, we would see about half a dozen clubs die from financial difficulties within a few season. Not to mention a club like the Broncos would buy the best players.

vCash
    they actually signed him back on the 14th july, its just been made public now........

vCash
    If SBW just does a runner on the Bulldogs this WILL end up in the courts, depends on how far they want to force the issue. A Cash settlement between the two would have to be agreed to by both side, an injunction would just mean that SBW would be sitting on the sidelines untill this is settled.

I think the Bulldogs should fight to keep him, then sack him for being a f**kwit

vCash

Dogs won't cop SBW's walkout

Dogs won't cop SBW's walkout

July 26, 2008

BULLDOGS chief executive Todd Greenberg says the club will take out an injunction to prevent Sonny Bill Williams from playing elsewhere after the star backrower reportedly flew to France to take up a $3 million rugby union offer.

Williams stunned the rugby league fraternity by walking out on the Bulldogs, and is understood to be linking up with second division rugby club Toulon on a lucrative two-year deal.

Toulon, however, have denied reports that Williams has come to terms with the club.

Mourad Boudjellal, Toulon's president, said that Williams and the club had spoken a while ago but there was no deal.

"We did make contact some time ago with Sonny Bill Williams," Boudjellal said from Miami.

"He said to us that he wanted to move from rugby league to union but that is where it finished.

"I cannot confirm what was on Canterbury's website. However, I deny that it is true."

Dogs won't cop SBW's walkout - NRL - Fox Sports

vCash
    they should let him get on with his life

vCash
    problem with the salary cap is that there just isnt enough money in the game at the moment, its kind of a catch-22 situation.

they cant afford to keep the best players so they let them go, next time the sponsorship arrangements and broadcast deals come up the companies will be reluctant to spend as much because its not the best players/competition. In turn there will be even less money to keep the better players.

If the NRL took away the salary cap, we would see about half a dozen clubs die from financial difficulties within a few season. Not to mention a club like the Broncos would buy the best players.
    Would the clubs die or would it just lead to a very uneven competition? The thing that the NRL seems to pride itself on with this salary cap issue is the evenness of the teams in the competition.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast