Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elsom snubs ARU

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    If it is true, the ARU should just shrug their shoulders and leave it alone. If he wants to come back in the future, they can decide whether they want to take the risk on his word then. But he knows that he is giving up Wallaby honours in favour of money, and I'd certainly be taking that into consideration if he was wanting to make a late run at the RWC.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Its a bit rude. He left for money but they are still keeping a place for him? Why doesn't he have to play for his country like every other player who earns a position in the Wallabies team? Its a bit presumptious that he could just stroll back in to the number 6 jersey. One of our loyal Aussie Super 14 players could really grab it with both hands and make it their own just like Elsom did when he was chosen. Make loyalty worthwhile and repay the players who are loyal to their club and country, not just their bank account. Isn't playing and showing your pride for your country what its all about?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think it is more of a case of strolling back into the Squad and then earning his jersey as usual Laura.
    None the less, I believe it is a very dangerous precident to be setting and agree that anyone wanting Wallaby consideration should have been playing or available to play the S14 season immediately prior to selection.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Make loyalty worthwhile and repay the players who are loyal to their club and country, not just their bank account. Isn't playing and showing your pride for your country what its all about?
    If a better player comes along while Elsom's on his pension booster, select him and drop Elsom, but Elsom's shown he can play at international level.

The other thing to think about is whether Elsom can come back and play in a team of Super 14 players who haven't had the chance to play in Europe. Will they gel as a team? After all, selecting the best team is about mroe than just selecting the best players.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't know about anyone else but I think this article kind of portrays Elsom as a bit of a git. He said he'd come back. He effectively signed a verbal contract saying he would come back and now he's had his cake and eaten it. He would've been locked into another 6 months with the Wallabies which would have seriously injured his original deal with Leinster if the ARU hadn't released him and it only did because they were going to get him back. It's not like he'll be on the bread line over here in Australia either.

Greedy bugger if you ask me. Which is disappointing because I always like Rocky and thought he seemed like a pretty reasonable (if savage) guy.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Think about it, Rocky had a awesome 12 months before he went to Ireland. Before that, he had that nasty habit of going missing in crucial matches, and no on field discilpline......just like his mate Palu. There aint no shortage of loosies in Australia to fill his spot.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    I thought that verbal contracts were still considered binding... well, he's certainly given the warning to his future employers to make sure their contracts are water-tight.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    i think is baloney.. He'll be back im sure... remember there were several Sauces mentioned in that article, no official comment from anyone.. although where theres smoke theres usually fire.. untill he, his agent or either the ARU or his club come out and say it, i wont believe it

vCash
    We just live in a selfish world now. Players personal bank accounts come before club loyalty or even loyalty to your country in some cases.

Why shouldn't they chase and get what they can while their young, who wants a real job? Better to be set up for life once the playing days are over I say.

Elsom just realised the future is in the NH club comps. It'll just keep getting bigger as well.

WRF's pick is Willie Mason will go there next, you heard it here first.

Plus the IRB has its roots deep in the NH remember.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    At the end of the day, all a man has is his word.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Wasn't the source of the 'compassion' quoted in the article?

The deal that Rocky got stitched up on (according to the article) was a property development, not a sponsorship.....nice try but!

I guess Giteau couldn't renege on his contract because the two cases had absolutely nothing in common!
    Gigs...nice try? You polehead... I'm referring to Gits personal business based on his total contracts... Rockys was personal financial issues and as I understand Gits had some also due to his western Force sponsorship issues...

With understanding Force fans like yourself no wonder he wanted out mate… He owes you zero…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Gigs...nice try? You polehead... I'm referring to Gits personal business based on his total contracts... Rockys was personal financial issues and as I understand Gits had some also due to his western Force sponsorship issues...

With understanding Force fans like yourself no wonder he wanted out mate… He owes you zero…
    Yeah but you still haven't explained to a dumb polehead like me how the two cases have any similarities, please use small words, remember I'm not that bright.

I'm not sure exactly how poor Rocky was crying, but he actually lost dough on a deal as much as I understand it, I dunno, he might have put every cent into a deal that went belly up.

Even if Gits didn't make a cent from firepower, he still got a fair bit of money to play for the Force.

So how are they the same?

Ahh don't bother, you never answer questions anyway...I guess I'm being obtuse now.....we poleheads do that!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Well, since he retired he has lost his wage.....
    Must have invested in a dodgy super scheme as well...

---------- Post added at 05:13 ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 ----------

Presumably, Rocky's situation had nothing to do with his playing contract; and the ARU's act of compassion was an act of altruism to help Rocky get his life back together. Although a true compassionate action is done without obligation there is a quiet hope that it will be repaid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Yes he does, he owes us untill the end of the Super 14 like a true professional. Then he can go back to the big fish in small pond that is Canberra and his mummy

Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Elsom just realised the future is in the NH club comps. It'll just keep getting bigger as well.

WRF's pick is Willie Mason will go there next, you heard it here first.

Plus the IRB has its roots deep in the NH remember.
    The future? Hardly. The only reason the NH is such a big lure is cash. If the amount of Rugby that is played comes into it SANZAR are attempting to address that, hopefully those saffers will see the light.

Your more then welcome to Willie Mason, the Roosters are trying to cut him out of the last couple of years of his contract, if the NH clubs come knocking they will let him go with a smile on their face

Does it irritate the IRB, which pretty much looks after the NH, that the 3 Southern Nations are always on top, and always will be on top?

Last edited by jargan83; 08-04-09 at 09:49.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    I thought that verbal contracts were still considered binding... well, he's certainly given the warning to his future employers to make sure their contracts are water-tight.
    Verbal contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast