Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Rebels shut down by Rugby Australia after 14 seasons

Player
    vCash
    I feel so sorry for players and fans -goodness knows what they think about the cluster **** that has run them for a decade

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Players aren't going to wait for a Hail Mary play from the courts.

It wouldn't surprise me if uncontracted players are already on the phone's to managers to agree to any offers they're received. Contracted players, especially those with Wallaby contracts would no doubt be on the phone to Rugby Australia to discuss where they are playing next year.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Players aren't going to wait for a Hail Mary play from the courts.

It wouldn't surprise me if uncontracted players are already on the phone's to managers to agree to any offers they're received. Contracted players, especially those with Wallaby contracts would no doubt be on the phone to Rugby Australia to discuss where they are playing next year.
    I suspect there'll be a series of announcements coming through thick and fast once the Finals are done

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    I suspect there'll be a series of announcements coming through thick and fast once the Finals are done
    or as soon as their plane lands in Fiji

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    or as soon as their plane lands in Fiji
    Sure as shit that plane is going to explode with noise as soon as "Flight Mode" is switched off

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    'Shrinking the sport': Legal threat after Rebels axing

Rugby Australia chief executive Phil Waugh claims a consortium bidding to rescue the Melbourne Rebels were given every opportunity to press their case as an ugly legal battle now looms.

The Rebels were informed by RA on Thursday that they would not be playing Super Rugby Pacific next season.

Business heavyweight Leigh Clifford had led a consortium that said it could revive the Rebels and proposed to move the club's base to Tarneit.

But Waugh told reporters in Melbourne that the group had not presented a compelling case to be entrusted with a licence.

RA has run the cash strapped Rebels since January but does not have the financial footing to keep doing so.

"We've given an enormous amount of time to that consortium to come forward with information," Waugh said.

"We split that information into five different requests for information.

"The first one being financial viability. The second one being governance and risk. The third being commercial strategy. The fourth being high performance. And the fifth being growth of the game.

"We finally got the information or some of the information that we'd requested in the middle of last week in a data room.

"We've analysed that information at great lengths. And then we met with one member of the consortium earlier this week. Again, giving the consortium every possible opportunity to put forward a compelling case to support the Melbourne Rebels in 2025."

Clifford told The Age that he now planned to sue RA.

"The Melbourne Rebels never want to go to court, but Rugby Australia's actions to turn their backs and not negotiate on a common sense $18 million rescue plan has left the club no choice," Clifford said.

"Rugby Australia is shrinking the sport, abandoned any pretence they are a serious national competition and cut off the pathways for girls, women, boys and men to live their dream of playing professional rugby for their local team.

"The fact that Rugby Australia recently chose to provide millions of dollars in financial support to the NSW Waratahs and provide not a cent to the Rebels says everything Victorians need to know about their priorities."

But RA chairman Daniel Herbert argued the consortium provided "a lack of detail and transparency."

"We've been waiting for some time to allow the consortium to get as much information and as much detail and accurate information to us to make a decision," he said.

"That wasn't forthcoming to the satisfaction of what we would deem a reasonable level of risk. So we've had to make that decision today for the 2025 season, for the men's Super season only."

Ironically, the Rebels have qualified for the finals for the first time and will play the Fijian Drua in Lautoka on Saturday.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...56e8fd72d&ei=7

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Hard to bluff pro bluffers.

That said, if the RA statements are all factual around what was presented to them as the Plan B, then it would be hard to justify any other response than to shut it down.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say ALL factual, but I reckon there's enough fact in there for them to scare Clifford out of court.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    “The fact that Rugby Australia recently chose to provide millions of dollars in financial support to the NSW Waratahs and provide not a cent to the Rebels says everything Victorians need to know about their priorities.”[/I]

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...30-p5jhul.html
    Clifford might be a lying shyster, but that last line is a beaut

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to say ALL factual, but I reckon there's enough fact in there for them to scare Clifford out of court.
    I wouldn't be too sure of that. They claim a fearsome legal representative is willing to work pro bono for them. Who needs a white knight when you have this dude on your team.

Name:  BK.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  25.0 KB

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I wouldn't be too sure of that. They claim a fearsome legal representative is willing to work pro bono for them. Who needs a white knight when you have this dude on your team.

Yeah, they do,

He's working pro bono to keep himself out of the shit for trading while insolvent.

Unfortunately I don't expect any critical documents to magically appear on his boardroom table this time around.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    “Schadenfreude” doesn’t even begin to cover this situation

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    this dude on your team.

How'd that work out

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Commiserations Rebels fans. The situation is shitty and it hurts. I only hope that things work out in the long run with some kind of representation. They mooted a Pasifika-Rebels merger. Better than nothing if local Melbourne kids get a look in.

Rebels administration can get f&%$@d. You can blame RA for plenty, but not your own ineptitude.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Commiserations Rebels fans. The situation is shitty and it hurts. I only hope that things work out in the long run with some kind of representation. They mooted a Pasifika-Rebels merger. Better than nothing if local Melbourne kids get a look in.

Rebels administration can get f&%$@d. You can blame RA for plenty, but not your own ineptitude.
    Ditto me, except for one small exception.
    A certain percentage of their fans can go f(^)(&* themselves too.
    Absolutely feel sorry for the rank and file, there but for Twiggy go I, but those who rejoiced in our earlier unjust demise &/or battle to regain lost ground, suck a fat one...
    As has been mentioned elsewhere, the Force community need to take this as a timely reminder, the sugar daddy isn't going to be there for ever.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wallabydarnd View Post
    “Schadenfreude” doesn’t even begin to cover this situation
    If you're talking about their "admin" I'll admit to that. Supporters, players & staff not so. We've been there and it's pretty devastating. Especially us dual coders who've been through this grinder twice.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast