Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Giteau affair overshadows Force preparations

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    I would put Daruda at 5/8 before JOC..

JOC may be more talented, but Daruda has being serving his apprenticeship for a few years now and is ready to step up. You dont want to harm JOC's development by exposing him to much to early.
    A heir and a spare - an excellent position to be in

0 Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Jimmy must be tackling the crap out of amateur Japanese players by now

0 Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    My opinion is his manager read the situation wrong and young Matt is running out of time!
    Happy I think you are spot on, Mr Erskine may have tried to push for a bit and not realising how quickly the world has chnaged from an economic standpoint, pushed his client over the proverbial limit of what is available.

He is a great player, but at some point there has to be limit what can be offred to him.

I doubt that any other Aussie team has much more sponsorship "cash" that can be thrown about, in togh economic times corporate sponsorship is one of the easiest and least painful expeneses to cut back on.

0 Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

0 Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post

The coaching staff could start planning with some more certainty, without wondering if they need to conjure a variation on the old magician's trick and pull a fly-half out of a Rabbit

0 Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Jimmy must be tackling the crap out of amateur Japanese players by now
    Yup. Convinced we never saw the best of Jimmy. I really rate him & I'm hoping contact has been made to see if he can do a CO'Y if needed. Matter of fact I'm starting to swing towards hoping he is (needed and available).

0 Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Just a couple of points:
    1. On the surface of it, the deal offered was a damn sight better than good - it was $400k for the next three years plus and additional $400k to cover the loss of sponsorship in 2008.
    2. I'm not sure something better could "come along" from within Australia. Discussions for 2010 are one thing, but no union would be able to put a contract in front of Giteau for 2009 without the ARU's blessing if the contracting window has closed.
    3. Jargs is right - as a professional sportsman, the whole point of playing is the money. If it were just the fun, he would be playing subbies and not subjecting himself to the pressure. The only reasons he could likely have for not signing the ET offer are that it contained unreasonable clauses (something like exclusivity, for example), or that there is something more important than $1.6M preventing him from committing himself post-May next year (couldn't even guess what), or he has actually decided he will not sign post-2009.
    4. The Aussie teams do not "throw around" sponsorship cash - it is not theirs to spend. It may be harder to come by in tough times but, if so, it is worth remembering that the team is then competing with the players for the sponsorship dollar.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Matt Giteau rejects $1.6m Force offer 1/11/08

After Saturday's Bledisloe Cup clash, Giteau confirmed he had knocked back the offer.

"Yes I've declined the offer. It's not what everyone seems to think it is though. That's all I can say about it," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html

Clearly he wasn't happy with the contract offered...any number of things who knows he didn;t like it offer...But as he said its wasn't the 1.6 million like everyone thinks...

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    ive read through alot of threads on different websites lately about this and a heap of articles and one thing keeps popping up,

now i havnt heard gits directly quoted so not sure were the word is coming from, but they dont just say he is upset with his loss of earnings but comment on how that extra money was responsable for luring him away from canberra.

now im not fishing here cos ive been to canberra a few times and quite frankly anything would be better, but the guy moved away from his family, junior club, local team, mentors etc for money, that money wasnt delivered and he feels hurt. the more i read thats the simple crust of it, he was greedy and it backfired on him.

i was listening to this being discussed the other night on fox sports and someone remarked that most of the firepower money was payed in stocks? is there any truth to that? maybe the new sponsorship was in stocks again and gits didnt want to risk it?

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Rugby365.com, has a story in regard Brumbies chasing Matt;

"Matt is contracted with the Western Force for 2009, but we will be discussing the possibility of a return to Canberra for 2010 and 2011," he told this website.

For full story: www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super14/news/1366461.htm

I think this suggests we may have Matt for 2009.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    WJ if it's money then it's money and we know where we stand - at the moment there is a vacuum - he needs to put this one to rest himself - doubt he will get a better offer in the current climate - Fans want commitment, Coaches need commitment - players need to balance their needs with some semblance of a plausible front - Gitts is looking like a spoilt brat with the dragging of heels on this one - it would be better for the to know one way or the other and prepare for the season ahead.

0 Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Rugby365.com, has a story in regard Brumbies chasing Matt;

"Matt is contracted with the Western Force for 2009, but we will be discussing the possibility of a return to Canberra for 2010 and 2011," he told this website.

For full story: www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super14/news/1366461.htm

I think this suggests we may have Matt for 2009.
    no that only suggests that the Brumbies arent willing to break the rules by approaching a player for a season he is already under contract for..

ARU rules stipulate that teams arent allowed to approach a player for a season that he is already under contract for, unless he has a clause which would allow him to get out early.

Legally the Brumbies arent allowed to say they are chasing Giteau for 2009

0 Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well if its the money, and if he plays for in 2009 as per contract, then to break even with the Brumbies for the next 2 years 2010 and 2011 then his 3rd party payments there would need to be $800,000 per year.

Do private corporations in Canberra have that much?

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    i think canberra being close to sydney doesnt need the organisations to be local, im sure he will be able to pick up extra tv commitments with fox etc.

either that or he will be on alot of billboards at fishwik!!!

0 Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Legally the Brumbies arent allowed to say they are chasing Giteau for 2009
    Leaving Giteau in an interesting bind. If the Brumbies wanted to be buggers they'd encourage Giteau to leave the Force but say they can't make him any form of offer yet because thats not allowed. Then once he has burnt his bridge here they can offer him a hell of a lot less than they had made out and he wouldn't have much choice but to accept.

0 Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast