vCash

Norton-Knight may return to Tahs backs

I'd be going with:

11. Lote Tuqiri
    14. Lachlan Turner
    15. Sam Norton-Knight

Norton-Knight may return to Tahs backs

January 3, 2008 - 6:36PM

NSW "troubleshooter" could be heading back to the outside backs for the Waratahs in this year's Super 14 tournament.

Versatile Norton-Knight started the Waratahs last six Super matches of 2007 at five-eighth, but has also played in the centres, on the wing and at fullback for NSW.

Highly rated teenager Kurtley Beale started last season at five-eighth and could well regain that jersey for the beginning of the upcoming campaign after excelling in last year's Australian Rugby Championship.

With former stalwarts like centre Morgan Turinui and outside back Peter Hewat having moved on and prize recruit Timana Tahu earmarked for the outside centre spot, NSW coach Ewen McKenzie hinted at a possible switch of position for Norton-Knight.

"I think with the ways the laws are, I think we will probably look at him more maybe in the outside back positions, but I'm open minded," McKenzie said.

"We'll see how it goes, he's got that great capacity to cover different positions, so he's been a troubleshooter for us in the past.

"I think fullback is a definite possibility for him, but we'll just see how it goes."

McKenzie said Lachlan Turner and Lote Tuqiri could also be considered for fullback and said he had "pretty high expectations" of the Waratahs and was "pretty confident" they would perform well in 2008, refusing to dwell on their miserable form last year.

Both McKenzie and NSW captain and flanker Phil Waugh expected the Experimental Law Variations to produce a greater spectacle and emphasis on attacking play.

"I think you've seen from the ARC that the ball is play a lot longer and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of points scored, particularly early on in the season while the defences get used to the new laws," Waugh said.

McKenzie anticipated spending plenty of time in front of his video machine over the first few rounds so he could study the different strategies employed by opposing coaches as they adapted to the law changes.

Tahu on Thursday trained in a group of players who were not quite totally fit.

His hamstring was being monitored as he worked alongside prop Matt Dunning (ankle), back rower David Lyons (ankle) and prop Benn Robinson (toe).

Lyons was the only one of that group who wasn't expected to play in the early rounds of the Super tournament along with lock Alex Kanaar, who on Thursday underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, which was expected to sideline him for eight weeks.

McKenzie was enthusiastic about the way Tahu had approached his switch to rugby.

"He's got a great mind, he's put a lot of effort in, now we've got to start seeing how that goes in the trial games and just see where he's at," McKenzie said.

"I don't think he could have done more in terms of his application and his willingness to learn, he's spent a lot of time on the whiteboard trying to understand the game, so I think the transition will be a fairly quick one."

© 2008 AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah Ewen, play Lote at fullback all season

He'll see plenty of the ball then. It will be tucked under the arm of the opposition as they run over, around and through him

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    You can't play Lote at 11 and Norton-Knight at 15, they're too close together on the field. Poor Sam will get the crap beaten out of him every time he makes a mistake. I'd put Lote at 15 and Sam at 1.

C'mon the

vCash
    The grand plan is coming together. You Force supporters reek of fear! Lote and 2Dads will form a combo the likes of which has never been seen, and they call themselves Tenacious D, um, Tahs players.

Concede that you have booked into the last spot now Force Fans!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I heard Lote was training with the Sydney Swanettes to learn how to over come the "push in the back" rule.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    TIF, whats happened to you? That was lame!!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    Concede that you have booked into the last spot now Force Fans!
    We'll talk later Kojak!

That back line must have you worried, you dribble more when you're worried!

How many 'Tahs backs are claiming injuries at this point in the season? maybe they should up the number so that when theyfail miserably against.....say.....the lions or something, they can point to their 'horrible run of luck with injuries in the last couple of seasons'

C'mon the

vCash
    Spoken like someone who just dribbled something brown and unpleasant from the anus. Dude, Tena pads for you, stat!!

Force fear the Tah back line, the mental disintegration has begun already.

It is known.

Gigsa made me do it

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    the mental disintegration has begun already.
    Where as Chooks is almost complete!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I was about to tell Chook to stop stating the obvious about himself Burgs!

C'mon the

vCash
    It matters not if my mental capacity is at its nadir, all that matters is that the Tahs will spank Force bottoms. I'm really glad you guys are getting used to that idea fairly early on in the season.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    You're not used to that are you Chook. That's called 'Quiet Confidence' since we're only about 30% better than you with 128 fewer years of practice, we're allowing you to get all this embarrassment on record, before we link it to photographs of you with your head looking like it's been circumcised.

C'mon the

vCash
    Fair point, but since most of those few years you have are sourced in NSW I will have to discount it. Fair effort though!

Gigsa made me do it