Thread: Mitchell sidesteps citing bullet

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell sidesteps citing bullet

Mitchell sidesteps citing bullet

From Jim Morton in Montpellier, France
    September 18, 2007

AUSTRALIA has dodged a bullet with wing Drew Mitchell escaping further punishment for a spear tackle in the weekend's Rugby World Cup win over Wales.

No citings came out of Australia's 32-20 Millennium Stadium triumph, but Wallabies management were holding their breath right until the 48 hour post-match window expired at 0100 AEST on Tuesday.

Coach John Connolly had admitted to post-match concerns after Mitchell was sin-binned for his reckless dumping of Wales hooker Matthew Rees in the second half.

The International Rugby Board's citing commissioners have been taking a strict view on foul play and there was a feeling the blazing wing could be in trouble.

Hooker Stephen Moore also escaped any sanction after taking out Wales wing Shane Williams late in a clumsy tackle over the sideline.

Mitchell's availability for Sunday's third pool B match against Fiji in Montpellier was crucial as the Wallabies may be without three injured backs.

Stephen Larkham (knee) and Stirling Mortlock (shoulder) will miss the match while Adam Ashley-Cooper is in doubt with a foot problem.

Although this clash originally appeared to be earmarked for the Wallabies subs to start, the selectors are looking to secure top place in pool B with their strongest side available.

Mortlock's injury should see veteran halfback George Gregan made skipper to equal England's Will Carling's record of 59 for the most number of Tests as captain.

But it will throw up a quandary as who to select at outside centre if Ashley-Cooper is unfit with Lote Tuqiri, Julian Huxley and Scott Staniforth all options.

"If push comes to shove (Mortlock) could probably even play next weekend,'' Connolly said. "But the situation we're in he may well have one or two weeks off and hopefully focus on a quarter-final.

"Adam, we hope, will be OK, but we won't know that until Tuesday or Wednesday. Hopefully he'll be OK for selection, which is important for the balance of our side.''

Moore is also in doubt with a lower leg injury.

Now the September 29 match against Canada in Bordeaux looms as the game the Wallabies reserves will have a chance to shine from kick-off.

A win against Fiji, which will play its second-string side to save its best for a sudden-death clash with Wales, will ensure an easier quarter-final, probably against England.

Although Connolly yesterday half-joked England - thumped 36-0 by South Africa - were no certainties to get past Samoa and Tonga, he denied they were pushovers.

"I don't think England are weak,'' he said.

"They've got the scrum, they've got the lineout, they get (Jonny) Wilkinson back, a couple of players back from injury, they've got the ability to play very well and they've shown that.''

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    that's great news. I hope to see Spanners get a spot in the centres. Or maybe even switch Tuquiri into the centres and Sheps on the wing.

vCash
    I wouldn't have thought it would be a question who to replace Sterlo with? Surely they have to go with Stanners? Surely... And if they even drop Tuqiri's name i'll shoot myself..

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce
    that's great news. I hope to see Spanners get a spot in the centres. Or maybe even switch Tuquiri into the centres and Sheps on the wing.
    Works for me!...or being the biased Force fan that i am , how about Spanners in the centres and Sheps on the wing?

Good to see Mitchell didnt get cited...it was reckless, but i dont feel it was worth a suspension.

vCash
    Its not bias. It's actually Logical. Tuquiri hasn't been showing the goods in these games. He couldn't even put some points on the board against Japan, when it seems all the outside backs managed to. And even a hat trick by Rocky. If i was JC, i'd kick tuquiri out just to piss him off and let him know he's not cemented a spot there. And put Sheps on one wing, Drew on the other and Spanners in the middle (vs Fiji only). And once Stirlo and AAC is back, then chuck them on again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce
    Its not bias. It's actually Logical. Tuquiri hasn't been showing the goods in these games. He couldn't even put some points on the board against Japan, when it seems all the outside backs managed to. And even a hat trick by Rocky. If i was JC, i'd kick tuquiri out just to piss him off and let him know he's not cemented a spot there. And put Sheps on one wing, Drew on the other and Spanners in the middle (vs Fiji only). And once Stirlo and AAC is back, then chuck them on again.
    You know what would be the best thing about all that? Our backline would dominate with Force players hehe: 11: Mitchell, 12: Gits, 13: Stanners, 14: Sheps....sweet as

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    You know what would be the best thing about all that? Our backline would dominate with Force players hehe: 11: Mitchell, 12: Gits, 13: Stanners, 14: Sheps....sweet as
    Damn straight!

vCash
    Don't forget that combinations win big matches, these guys have played together all season, they will be sharp as a tack.

There is no real danger giving them a shot against a weakened Fiji and it's just the radical sort of move that might be seen as brilliant if it works.

For insurance, you could put three backs on the bench, just in case it doesn't fly!

C'mon the

vCash
    IRB starting to take a lot of flack over citings. Danger here is they will decide to make a gut call and a high profile player gets a couple of games on a dubious decision.

Remember the yank player who effectively had his World Cup finished for a tackle similar to Mitchells, the fingers are starting to be pointed at the IRB looking after their own. Think Mitchell was more in control though, a one match suspension would have been a reasonable decision imho.

Oh and they should cite and ban the entire Bokke team just on general principal.