Thread: Indigenous academy offer sees Pietsch taken by Force

Senior Player
    vCash

Indigenous academy offer sees Pietsch taken by Force

An offer to create an Indigenous pathway for one of mining entrepreneur Andrew Forrest's philanthropic charities has triggered Dylan Pietsch to switch Super Rugby teams next year.

Western Force pulled off the unexpected coup in signing the Waratahs winger that may also include a positional switch in the move after formerly playing flanker out of schoolboy and sevens rugby.

Pietsch officially requested a release from his NSW Rugby Union on Friday after the Force, who are financially backed by Forrest, had been in talks with the Wiradjuri man since the conclusion of the Super Rugby competition at the end of June.

NSWRU chief executive Phil Waugh relented, granting Pietsch an immediate release from his contract knowing former players of the defunct Melbourne Rebels are available.

While the 26-year-old, who has been capped three times for the Wallabies since debuting this year moves on for better playing opportunities, it is understood Pietsch - who actively practises Indigenous art outside of rugby - has been told there is also scope to conduct an artistic Indigenous contribution to the Minderoo Foundation.

The details of the foundation role has not been made clear and is not connected to Pietsch's multi-year contract, but it ties into Forrest owning the majority share and controlling interest of the Force.

Pietsch joins the Force after a capable 2024 Super Rugby Pacific season of crossing for four tries in 12 appearances for the Waratahs, leading to his Wallabies Test call-up after watching from the sidelines all of last year in the Australian training squad under former coach Eddie Jones.

"I feel like the Western Force are on the up at the moment and I am really excited to play my part in it," Pietsch said in a statement.

"The Force play a fast-style of rugby where they like to move the ball, which suits me.

"I believe that can bring out my strengths with carrying and ball-running on the edges.

"My Wallabies ambition is a big thing too.

"Now I have had a taste of international rugby, I want to play consistent footy and I feel I can play my best footy with the Force.

"I feel this move can help propel me forward."

Pietsch has appeared 38 times in Super Rugby, all for his home state, and has scored 14 tries since senior coaches in Sydney suggested the undersized loose forward play wing in 2022.

While enjoying his time out wide, Pietsch has quietly been hinting a desire to slide towards the midfield and take on the bone-crunching inside centre role.

Pietsch is familiar with many new Force teammates from his time with the Australian sevens side and early on for the Waratahs, and would be keen play off the left shoulder of his Randwick clubmate and Force flyhalf, Ben Donaldson, was another lure.

"I'm really excited to play with a good group of boys," Pietsch said.

"I room with Donno (Ben Donaldson) on every Wallabies tour.

"I know a fair few of them – Jeremy Williams, Will Harris, Tom Horton and many more.

"It's good to have those relationships going into a new team; it makes the transition a lot easier."

The names Pietsch listed were all running around in his 2022 debut season with New South Wales.

The relocation west could well also link Pietsch up with Darug and Kamilaroi man, Kurtley Beale, should the 35-year-old be offered a second season in Perth.

Though Pietsch may well eventually play in the No.12 jersey, Force coach Simon Cron was not giving much away on the announcement of the key signing.

Waugh, who in his Waratahs and Wallabies heyday also played openside flanker, told Pietsch inside centre was up for grabs under new NSW and former ACT Brumbies coach, Dan McKellar.

"He is a genuine winger, who brings pace and power out wide," Cron said.

"He also has a really driven personality type that will fit in really well with our group.

"The best players have that inner drive and he definitely has it, so we are excited about getting Dylan over after his Wallabies' duties.

"For us, it's really important we get depth in the back three as it will only help others in the squad to develop and get better."
    https://nit.com.au/17-09-2024/13756/...taken-by-force

1 Not allowed!

vCash
    Are we on the up? Let's hope!

0 Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Are we on the up? Let's hope!
    One thing I took from it is Twiggy is still (or "re") engaged at some level.
    Was starting to hear some concerning rumourmongering on that front.

Was floating similar things around Beale prior to his injury as a way to keep him here.

0 Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I hope he hasn't been made any promises about the 12 jersey, it's currently owned by a Wallaby who has done great things for us and our gaps are all out wide.

(unless you have a quick look at the touring squad I guess)

0 Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I hope he hasn't been made any promises about the 12 jersey, it's currently owned by a Wallaby who has done great things for us and our gaps are all out wide.

(unless you have a quick look at the touring squad I guess)
    I've not seen any quick hand skills or kicking to support a claim on #12.
    Perhaps he should focus on coming off the Wing Koroibete style for awhile before taking on handling every third or fourth phase?

0 Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Outside centre?

0 Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Outside centre?
    THe article mentioned inside centre, so that's what I responded to. With Bayley injured there's less pressure on a change to 13, but I'd pick Matt Procter there before giving Pietsch a trial.

0 Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    In the fourth paragraph of the article posted by our friend Volvo.

It states that Phil Waugh is the NSWRU Chief Executive.

Isn't Phil Waugh also CEO of RugbyAustralia.

Normally my next question is - Isnt that a conflict of Interest?

But - having worked for 2 Branches of the Federal Government. I don't have to ask the question - It is a conflict of Interest.

0 Not allowed!

Exile
    Port Macquarie

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    In the fourth paragraph of the article posted by our friend Volvo.

It states that Phil Waugh is the NSWRU Chief Executive.

Isn't Phil Waugh also CEO of RugbyAustralia.

Normally my next question is - Isnt that a conflict of Interest?

But - having worked for 2 Branches of the Federal Government. I don't have to ask the question - It is a conflict of Interest.
    Rugby Australia own NSWRugby. I don't think it's a technical conflict of interest as they're both now the same corporation. You might be able to argue it is "non-competitive behaviour" or whatever they call dodgy underhanded deals intended to make it impossible to compete.

0 Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think it a pretty clear conflict of interest as what is in the best interest of the Waratahs Franchise, despite common belief in Sydney, may not be in the best interest of Rugby in Australia and Rugby Australia.
    And vice versa.
    I see it as a totally conflicted and untenable position, but here wee are...

0 Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.