Thread: 2024 Ireland v Wallaroos

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

2024 Ireland v Wallaroos

Where it all began: Pomare reflects on Irish return as Wallaroos prepare for rare Test

Tue, Sep 10, 2024, 11:05 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Wallaroos vice-captain Trilleen Pomare has taken the time to reminisce as the Australians return to the place where the experience back made her debut on the Test arena.

Pomare is the lone player left from the last time the Wallaroos faced Ireland as they prepare for just their fifth-ever match-up on Saturday (AWST).

The match-up occurred at the 2017 World Cup, with the 31-year-old becoming Wallaroos #155 after starting in a 19-17 loss in the group stages to the hosts.

The two sides would rematch in the 5th-8th place playoff, Pomare coming off the bench in a 36-24 win.

“It was heaps of fun, that was my debut game in 2017 when I started at flyhalf. To be the only one left is pretty special," she said

“Them being in the Six Nations, they get a lot of Test matches so there’s a lot of continuity and they’ve grown a lot as a team.

“I think the kicking game is something we’re going to have to adapt to, Northern Hemisphere sides play a completely different game compared to the Black Ferns but our back three is going to have to be one and ready to counter. We’ll be up for the challenge.”

A lot has changed since the last game, with Pomare growing into a leadership role as the young squad takes in their first European tour.

“I think we have a good leadership group, a good bunch of older and younger players so we check in on each other and I think that’s the most crucial thing being away from our families for so long," she explained.

“We have a good support system here within our own group and also having a mental skills coach to help support and navigate us through those challenges.

“It’s always a challenge being away from family and so far away from home. We’re each other’s family for now and we’ve really got to make sure we stick together.

“I think any opportunity where you can mimic a World Cup year is crucial for our own development

“We’ve got to earn how to build our own skills to get through long tours being away from and dealing with selections, non selections and what role you play whether you’re inside or outside of the 23.”

Pot of Gold: Bridie O'Gorman relishing return to Irish 'homeland' with Wallaroos

Mon, Sep 9, 2024, 2:09 PM
    Nathan Williamson

When the Wallaroos take the field in Belfast against Ireland, there'll be a small patch of gold in a sea of green as the extended O'Gorman family cheer on the experienced prop.

With a last name like O'Gorman, the 25-year-old naturally has a deep family connection with the Emerald Isle with cousins and family across the country.

“My dad’s from Tipperary just south of Dublin but I’ve also got some family in London and some in Cork and Limerick so I’ll be shooting them a message and see if they want to make the drive up,” O’Gorman said to Rugby.com.au.

“It’s super exciting for me. I haven’t played Ireland before and I’m just keen to get out there and keen to go back to the homeland.

O'Gorman will look to convince the 20+ relatives to pull on the gold jersey for the day as the Wallaroos face Ireland as part of their 150th-anniversary celebrations.

“I’m really keen. I haven’t been there for probably 10 or 15 years so it’ll be good to play over there and link up with my family again," she added before the side headed overseas.

“They haven’t messaged yet (for tickets) but I’m sure it’ll come closer to the day.”

Ireland will loom as a perfect test for the Australians, who last played them at the 2017 World Cup.

The tenth-ranked Irish surprised many to lock in a spot in WXV 1 after finishing third in the Six Nations whilst Australia prepares to head to WXV 2 in South Africa later in the month.

As the World Cup approaches, O'Gorman and the Wallaroos have their full focus on building for next year's event, set to take place just a short hop over the Irish Sea in England.

“As a group, our goal at the moment is that performance at the World Cup," she believes.

“Everything from now is preparing us for that and one year goes pretty quick so we’re starting to get ready now.”

0 Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm sure Michaela will be far more professional than I would be about this...
    Looking at combining with a couple of other selections, I suspect there's an element of WXV "Trial" going on, but a significant kick in the leadership guts as she's hardly put a foot wrong since taking over from Duck.
    Hopefully Stan has some commentary around the decision.

Ngauamo and Dinnen set to make long-awaited Wallaroos debuts

Thu, Sep 12, 2024, 2:01 PM
    Ben Somerford

https://westernforce.rugby/news/ngau...debuts-2024912

Western Force pair Alapeta Ngauamo and Lucy Dinnen are set to make their Wallaroos debuts after being named in the 23-player team to face Ireland on Saturday.

The Wallaroos will face the Irish in Belfast from 9:30pm WST on Saturday live on Stan Sport as preparation for the upcoming WXV 2 tournament in Cape Town.

Prop Ngauamo and back-rower Dinnen have been named as reserves, while Michaela Leonard is in the starting XV.

Dinnen’s Test debut would come at the age of 31, having been in extended squads in the lead-up to the 2022 Rugby World Cup previously.

She moved to Perth prior to the 2024 Super W season where she played six games and has played locally with Wanneroo in the Fortescue Women's Premier Grade. She previously played for the Queensland Reds and won the Super W Player of the Year in 2021.

Front-rower Ngauamo received her maiden call-up in June in an extended squad for a training camp in Canberra and is set to debut at 35-years-old.

She also switched Queensland for Perth prior to the 2024 season, where she excelled with six appearances and a try for the Force.

“We’re all really excited to be here in Belfast and I’ve been pleased with how the players have settled in and responded with the travel and being away from home,” Wallaroos coach Jo Yapp said.

“We want to put in a good performance on Saturday and build on what we’ve been working on in recent camps. It’s a new-look side selected and it’s important with a few injuries to build depth in key areas and give players an opportunity.

“Alapeta, Lucy and Tiarah are all deserving of their first Test caps this weekend and we’re looking forward to watching them play.”

New captain, three debutants named as Wallaroos revamp side for Ireland Test

Thu, Sep 12, 2024, 1:58 PM
    Nathan Williamson

Wallaroos coach Jo Yapp has shaken up the side as they face Ireland in Belfast on Saturday, making a raft of changes headlined by new captain Siokapesi Palu.

Palu takes over the duties from Michaela Leonard for the game, who stays in the side in the second row.

Catch the Wallaroos take on Ireland live, ad-free and on demand on Stan Sport

Tuinakauvadra replaces the inured Piper Duck at number eight whilst the elevation of Nathan back into the starting side comes as Ash Marsters moves to hooker following a finger injury to Tania Naden.

Bridie O’Gorman shifts from tighthead to loosehead prop after Brianna Hoy ruptured her ACL at training.

It’s a new look halves partnership as Natalie Wright gets her first start for the Wallaroos alongside Faitala Moleka.

Maya Stewart completes her return from a hamstring injury to partner Desiree Miller and Lori Cramer in the other change to the backline.

On the bench, forwards trio Alapeta Ngauamo, Tiarah Minns and Lucy Dinnen are in line for their Wallaroos debut.

Ngauamo provides front-row cover alongside Lydia Kavoa, with the flanker shifting to the front-row amid the injury crisis.

Minns makes a long-anticipated debut after featuring in past Wallaroos' wider squads whilst Dinnen (née Lockhart) caps off a successful return after linking up with the Western Force initially in the extended squad injury cover.

“We’re all really excited to be here in Belfast and I’ve been pleased with how the players have settled in and responded with the travel and being away from home,” Yapp said in a statement.

“We want to put in a good performance on Saturday and build on what we’ve been working on in recent camps.

“It’s a new-look side selected and it’s important with a few injuries to build depth in key areas and give players an opportunity.

“Alapeta, Lucy and Tiarah are all deserving of their first Test caps this weekend and we’re looking forward to watching them play.”

WALLAROOS TEAM LIST TO FACE IRELAND

1. Bridie O'Gorman (#180 - Sydney University) – 22 caps

2. Ashley Marsters (#117 - Booroondarra) – 29 caps

3. Eva Karpani (#171 - Onkaparinga) – 26 caps

4. Kaitlan Leaney (#179 - CSU Marlins) – 20 caps

5. Michaela Leonard (#168 - Tuggeranong Vikings) – 27 caps

6. Siokapesi Palu (c) (#194 - Rockdale Rangers) – 11 caps

7. Leilani Nathan (#202 - Hamilton Hawks) – 7 caps

8. Tabua Tuinakauvadra (#200 - Tuggeranong Vikings) – 6 caps

9. Natalie Wright (#213 - Wests Bulldogs) – 2 caps

10. Faitala Moleka (#199 - Blacktown Scorpions) – 11 caps

11. Desiree Miller (#204 - Eastern Suburbs) – 7 caps