Thread: James O'Connor to depart Queensland Reds

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

James O'Connor to depart Queensland Reds

Thu, Sep 12, 2024, 8:03 AM
    Nathan Williamson

The Queensland Reds have confirmed the departure of flyhalf James O'Connor to an overseas club.

O’Connor returned to Brisbane in July 2019, earning selection in the Wallabies’ 2019 Rugby World Cup squad after making his debut in 2015.

He would help them to the 2021 Super Rugby AU title, scoring the decisive try to win the game well after the final whistle.

O'Connor is coming off leading Brothers to the Hospital Cup title and thanked the Reds for giving him another chance.

“These last five years have been the highlight of my rugby career,” O’Connor said in a statement.

“I’m so proud of where we have gotten to as a group. Although there’s been highs and lows the consistency, and just the love at this club, has been so incredible to be a part of.

“I’m departing Queensland a better player, leader and man, and I’m so grateful to have been able to play for this team, my home.

“The club couldn’t be in better hands. Les and the other coaches are easily the most cohesive group I have ever worked with and I’m thankful I got to be a part of it this year. I have no doubt that there’s a lot of success to come and I’ll be watching from abroad with deep gratitude. Thanks for everything Queensland. It’s been a dream come true.”

Reds coach Les Kiss paid tribute to the contribution O'Connor has given to the young group as a leader and mentor.

“James O’Connor has been a selfless leader in my time in Queensland, and personally I’m so pleased and grateful I had the chance to coach him this season, as are all of the coaching team,” Kiss said.

“Whilst James encountered a challenging season that saw injury limit his ability to contribute on the field, he dedicated himself to improving the team in any way he could.

“His immense experience and willingness to share his experiences has played a pivotal role in the development of the Reds, most notably with our young flyhalves Tom Lynagh and Harry McLaughlin-Phillips. They’ll undoubtedly reflect positively on the time they were able to spend with him, fine-tuning their game and understanding the mental side of the playmakers’ role, and for that we’re indebted to James.

“We did make him an offer to stay and continue at the Reds and will be sad to see him go, but we respect the decision he and Bridget have made and wish them all the very best. I have no doubt James will return to give back to the Queensland Rugby community in coming years in some capacity, and that’s something we can all look forward to.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/james-...d-reds-2024912

0 Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    His departure probably isn't a surprise to the Reds, but it will be a big out for their Squad.
    Will be interesting to see what comp he turns up in, I would assume a D2 French team, or a newly promoted T14/English Premier.

0 Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Old Mate is still collecting a pay packet in San Diego at 41yo.

0 Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David