Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Had the guts to say what others are afraid to: Cheika nailed it in his steps required

vCash

I've noticed a growing number of press articles bemoaning how shit we are ATM, including the entirely predictable Kiwi claims that the AB's are starting to head the same way because of us, or that the Lions should abandon Oz next year in favour of ZA again.

There's no denying the truth of our current standard & it's all starting to grind. I'm thinking that a National Rugby Championship could be preferable. If broadcast dollars are feasible. I actually reckon there might just be more punters interested in that than the current SR format, despite the modest improvement in results last season. I get the feeling we'd not suffer too much financially when you consider the entirely bleak outlook for SR finances looking ahead.

0 Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post

I've noticed a growing number of press articles bemoaning how shit we are ATM...
    I'm thinking that a National Rugby Championship could be preferable....we'd not suffer too much financially
    Don't fall into the trap of conflating two issues. Whether or not reducing Australian rugby to an NRC standard is financially feasible (and I'd be dubious given the massive increase in overheads), there is no way it will improve the Wallabies or make touring here attractive for anyone.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Don't fall into the trap of conflating two issues. Whether or not reducing Australian rugby to an NRC standard is financially feasible (and I'd be dubious given the massive increase in overheads), there is no way it will improve the Wallabies or make touring here attractive for anyone.
    I get your point Andy. I'm not talking about a glorified Shite Shield. More along the lines of what was Super AU. At some point we have to accept that SR is not improving things . When ZA & NZ bail on TRC we will need to come up with alternatives in any event.

1 Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    SR is not improving things, or SR and then no NPC/Curry Cup is not improving things?
    NZ and SA have a full season of competitive matches.
    I don't believe there is a problem with SR per se, it is what is missing around that pathway that is the problem.

I did write it up recently, can't remember the thread now but I don't think anyone bit, about a hybrid between some Provincial and some Sydney and Brisbane clubs.

We are stuck in a perpetual scenario of-
    1. Sydney thinking the world stops at the foothills and Shute being the premo Australian product
    2. Brisbane being less parochial, so long as they are treated equally to Sydney
    3. Canberra being in no position to negotiate, but happy to have relevance
    4. Melbourne being filthy as f*ck and desperate to have relevance
    5. And us stuck a few hours flight away.

I think last year I said GRR should be revived and run with a Penrith, Canberra and Melbourne inclusion and leave the "big two" to it.
    You could make that an Under 25 (for example, pick an age) and run either following SR or throughout.
    In this "throughout" scenario Perth (and Canberra) would have an extended Squad covering SR/Test and "GRR"/Academy, while Melbourne would build at GRR level for whatever comes next.

Regardless, every Aus v Aus SR fixture should have an Academy/U19 undercard to be building depth for U20 Aus selection. To be putting the money into these young men without getting any match time into them (unless thrown to the wolves in SR) is absolutely ridiculous!

0 Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Among all the things you list there Burgs, the most important is game time. A Super AU with full home & away is ideal if the dollars can be found. NPC and Currie Cup is what we just have never had. The benefits of those are absolutely proven. If we have to take a sideways step for a while so be it.
    However if the Moore Park clown show think a national club comp is the answer, and get teir way, then I think the game is heading back to the ameteur days. Worse things have happened I suppose.

0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3