Thread: The unheralded ex-Wallaby who could soon become most powerful man in global rugby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

The unheralded ex-Wallaby who could soon become most powerful man in global rugby

An Australian could ascend to the most powerful role in global rugby union by the end of the year after former Wallabies flanker Brett Robinson confirmed he is considering an approach to run for the chairmanship of World Rugby.

In a move that could see Robinson become the first person from the Southern Hemisphere to become World Rugby Chair, the former Brumbies captain and Rugby Australia director has been urged to stand for the role at the World Rugby Council elections in November.

Since the late Vernon Pugh became the first elected chairman in 1996, the World Rugby chair has always come from one of the Six Nations unions. Yet the Northern Hemisphere’s dominance is now facing a serious challenge in the shape of Robinson, who is being encouraged to run by SANZAAR representatives – and, crucially, some European rugby officials as well.
    Only one candidate, former Scotland and Lions lock John Jeffrey, has so far declared his intention to stand for the role, which will be vacated by Bill Beaumont in November. Former Italian player Andrea Rinaldo is also likely to run.

But Robinson, 54, is seen by backers as a dynamic, change agent-style candidate, and, with both a medical degree and extensive business experience, the best option to steer World Rugby through increasingly challenging times for the code.

“I am honoured to be considered by others as a suitable candidate for this important role, so I amtalking to member unions across both hemispheres and will make a decision soon,” Robinson told this masthead in a statement.

“I will say, while our game is in a strong commercial position, it faces several challenges. These include securing ongoing financial prosperity across members unions, growing the game’s audience, delivering the next phase of World Rugby’s investment in new markets and modernising the game to improve both the spectacle of the sport and player safety. Meeting these challenges will require strong World Rugby leadership to drive an accountable executive.”

Robinson, who played 16 Tests for the Wallabies and was the first captain of the Brumbies, served for nine years on the Rugby Australia board and after exiting that role in 2020, has continued to represent Australia on the World Rugby Executive Board.

The Brisbane-based businessman, who is currently chief executive of RetireAustralia, would require a majority of votes from the 52-member World Rugby council to win the chairmanship. Robinson this week flew to Paris where World Rugby meetings are scheduled, and with most of the voting member unions also on hand to watch the Olympic sevens, Robinson will no doubt be doing some soundings.

The Six Nations unions have three votes each, as do Australia and the other SANZAAR unions plus Japan. Canada, Georgia, Samoa, Romania, United States and Uruguay each have one vote. The remaining votes are made up by the six regional associations representing Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America and Oceania, with two votes each.

In Robinson’s favour is the fact he will be seen as a more moderate candidate than the feisty Argentinian Agustin Pichot, who unsuccessfully ran for World Rugby chair in 2020, and that he can also be seen as a modern candidate against the 65-year-old Jeffrey.

Jeffrey is currently the World Rugby vice-chairman but sources familiar with World Rugby politics, who declined to comment due to confidentiality concerns, have a belief the Six Nations won’t automatically back the Scotsman as a bloc, particularly at a time when world rugby is developing new strategies around global competitions and new markets, and trying to focus on fan engagement with rule innovations.

It would also be a major coup for rugby in Australian and New Zealand, whose struggle in the fight against domestic rivals is largely ignored in Europe.

Former Rugby Australia boss John O’Neill, who served on World Rugby’s executive committee for 14 years, said Robinson would be a strong candidate for World Rugby chair.

“I think it would be an absolute breath of fresh air to have someone with Brett’s credentials in the role – both rugby credentials and professional credentials,” O’Neill told this masthead.

“His rugby career is well known to all of us. He captained the Brumbies, played for Australia, he worked with me as Head of High Performance at the ARU, he is a doctor of medicine, a doctor of philosophy and a successful businessman. He is also of an age where he is a modern thinker and unshackled in exploring ways and means and opportunities to make the game of rugby more popular, and safer.

“I know he is held in the highest regard by other around the World Rugby council, and executive committee. He has certainly not been warming a seat – he has been a significant contributor.”

Robinson said that, in his view, the game should be led by a chair who “can create the right culture, built on good governance - driving a high-performing board, good communication with member unions and overseeing a consultative and accountable executive.”

“[The chair must be] capable and commercially driven, possessing the financial expertise to run a global business, as well as scrupulous in terms of integrity,” Robinson said in a statement. “[And] contemporary and player-focused, determined to drive reform to modernise the ‘shape of the game’ whilst ensuring the game continues to respond to player safety and welfare issues ...[and] has the commitment and energy to set a course and see it through.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...d9d3091f&ei=10

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sure, Australian rugby is such a paragon of health and good corporate practice, why wouldn't World Rugby want a little bit of that magic...?

vCash
    Former Rugby Australia boss John O’Neill, who served on World Rugby’s executive committee for 14 years, said Robinson would be a strong candidate for World Rugby chair.
    The Kiss of Death.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Surely they need the Hammer to fulfill his destiny and run???

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.