Thread: 2024 Second Wales Test

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

2024 Second Wales Test

Cale to make starting debut as Slipper captains Wallabies for second Wales Test

Thu, Jul 11, 2024, 9:58 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Wallabies prop James Slipper will take over the captaincy as Joe Schmidt confirms his side for Saturday's second Test against Wales in Melbourne.

Slipper captains the side as a result of an injury to backrower Liam Wright ruled him out.

It's the 15th time the 35-year-old has captained Australia, recently breaking the record for most caps for a front-rower.

Wright's absence sees Slipper's Brumbies team-mate Charlie Cale make his debut start at number eight.

Cale was one of seven debutants during last week's victory and his inclusion pushes Rob Valetini to blindside flanker, the same set-up as at the Brumbies.

It's the lone change to the starting side, with Schmidt making several changes to the bench, headlined by potential debutant Josh Nasser.

Nasser, the son of former Wallaby Brendan, joins Isaac Kailea and Allan Alaalatoa as the front-row replacements.

NSW Waratah Langi Gleeson has also been added to the bench, named for his first appearance for the Wallabies in 2024 alongside Angus Blyth.

Western Force duo Nic White and Ben Donaldson round out the changes, providing an experienced combo off the bench with Dylan Pietsch.

“We found out a bit about ourselves last week and are looking forward to learning a bit more on Saturday night," Schmidt said.

“We’ve worked hard again this week in Melbourne and will be going out to earn the support of those in the stands and those at home on Saturday night.”

The Wallabies will wear their First Nations jersey in recognition of NAIDOC week

Wallabies

team to play Wales at AAMI Park in Melbourne on Saturday 13 July, 7:45pm AEST

1. James Slipper (c) (135 Tests) – Bond Pirates
    2. Matt Faessler (6 Tests) – USQ Saints
    3. Taniela Tupou (51 Tests) – Brothers Rugby
    4. Jeremy Williams (1 Test) - Wahroonga Tigers
    5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (31 Tests) – Randwick
    6. Rob Valetini (40 Tests) – Harlequin Junior Rugby Club
    7. Fraser McReight (18 Tests) – Albany Creek Brumbies
    8. Charlie Cale (1 Test) - Beecroft Junior Rugby Club
    9. Jake Gordon (21 Tests) – Canterbury Berries
    10. Noah Lolesio (18 Tests) – Tuggeranong Vikings
    11. Filipo Daugunu (8 Tests) – Wests Bulldogs
    12. Hunter Paisami (25 Tests) - Harlequin Junior Rugby Club
    13. Josh Flook (1 Test) - Brothers Rugby
    14. Andrew Kellaway (27 Tests) – Hunters Hill Rugby
    15. Tom Wright (26 Tests) – Clovelly Eagles

16. Josh Nasser** - Easts Tigers
    17. Isaac Kailea (1 Test) - Harlequin Junior Rugby Club
    18. Allan Alaalatoa (68 Tests) – West Harbour Juniors
    19. Angus Blyth (1 Test) - Casuarina Beach Rugby Club
    20. Langi Gleeson (5 Tests) – Harbord Harlequins
    21. Nic White (66 Tests) – Maitland Blacks
    22. Ben Donaldson (7 Tests) – Clovelly Eagles
    23. Dylan Pietsch (1 Test) - Leeton Phantoms

**denotes potential debut

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 11-07-24 at 12:51.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Gleaned from Facebook- Liam Wright may have a shoulder injury from last weekend and Tom Lynagh was injured in training this week.

I think very smart of Jumbuck Joe to stick with Super Rugby combinations in the Halves.
    If all fit, I would expect to see Gordon/Lolesio benched or rested against Georgia and the Reds/Force combinations used.
    If not Lynagh, then will be McDermott pairing with Lolesio on the Bench next week.

Great vote of confidence in/for Williams..

#2-#8 have 13 more Tests than the #1 and our Captain has 9 more Caps than the entire Backline!
    Slipper truly is a machine, especially considering the only handful of Tests he played 2016-18...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Schmidt confident Wright, Ikitau will press for Georgia return after setbacks

Thu, Jul 11, 2024, 12:16 PM
    Nathan Williamson

Wallabies coach Joe Schmidt admits he didn't want to rush captain Liam Wright back from a shoulder knock as he makes a change at captain for Saturday's clash with Wales.

Wright picked up the knock during the win in Sydney, eventually replaced by Charlie Cale.

The back-rower pushed to be fit but Schmidt has backed the one-Test Cale to step up in his absence, with Wright likely to return for next week's match against Georgia.

"He'd be a good chance for next week but this week was just too tight," Schmidt said on Wright. "He got a decent whack on the shoulder.

"He ran really well today. There are no other elements of his fitness that we're worried about, just having full function of the shoulder for a number six is pretty important, particularly as good as he is in the line-out.

"We've got confidence in the squad. It's good for young Charlie to get a start and good for Langi to get off the bench and get involved. I think it's one of the things that we want to demonstrate that we're a squad-orientated group.

"...It's frustrating but as I said we've got confidence in the squad. We thought it would come right pretty quickly. He got the whack in the game and post-match we thought the progress would be pretty quick. It's just a little bit slower than we would have liked.

"Once he wasn't fully fit to be named to train on Tuesday, we just felt better to give certainty to the guys who were going to be there."

Wright's injury brings James Slipper reluctantly into the captaincy frame, set to lead Australia for the 15th time.

"Slips isn't massively keen on (the captaincy) he just leads himself really well," Schmidt joked.

"He'll do a great job. Fantastic experience (and) it's that quiet leadership that we'll need and the quiet resolve he brings to his work will hopefully ripple through the team."

In a further boost to the side, Schmidt confirmed centre Len Ikitau will likely be available for the Georgia Test as he deals with a hamstring complaint.

"Lenny’s tracking really well. He should run at full speed by latest Saturday which puts him in the selection frame for next week," he added.

"With a young squad, if we don't give them time and I know I talked about the runway already, I just think having that clarity, as I said, I only met these guys two weeks ago.

"There's a lot to cover and we're trying to keep the menu fairly tight but to be really good with what we do have."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    It will pretty interesting to see Donaldson & White this week. Jake Gordon played pretty well last week but I thought Lolesio not so much.

I'll be surprised if Williams doesn't become a regular starter.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    It will pretty interesting to see Donaldson & White this week. Jake Gordon played pretty well last week but I thought Lolesio not so much.

Jez was pretty solid last week. I think he just needs to start getting some more metres from his carries, which we started to see in the second half last week, and that spot is his.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post

Shh! Rugby Australia will demand he moves back to Sydney!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Shh! Rugby Australia will demand he moves back to Sydney!
    The good thing is that he can make himself harder to drop if he runs the lineout, they will want to bring Skelton in for someone but a team with Skelton, Williams and Wright at 6 gives ok balance

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Wright was a 7 originally. I always thought having Wright, Tom Hooper and Valetini in the backrow would allow you to play Skelton. Saying that, I don't think Skelton has ever earned his selection with play for Australia. I reckon you'd do better chasing guys like Rory Arnold or Matt Philip.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Veteran
    vCash
    Why Skelton? i thought we were only selecting Aussie based players?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Post match interview with Joe and Slips in this article https://www.rugby.com.au/news/ben-do...-debut-2024715

Got to say I continue to be impressed by the manner and openness that he brings to the role, to date I would suggest the best that we have seen for a Wallaby Head Coach potentially ever.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.