Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Perth bid hoping Bears talks and Roosters supremo will help gazump PNG push for licen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Singo hits out at Bears and WA as Jets bid dies

Newtown's plan to become part of Perth's NRL bid has ended after businessman John "Singo" Singleton confirmed the club has pulled out of the running.

The Jets emerged as a shock contender in the race for the NRL's 18th team, and were prepared to join forces in the west.

However, The Sydney Morning Herald revealed a text message from Singleton had ended all hopes as the iconic businessman took a shot at the North Sydney Bears in the process. The Bears are likely to join forces with Perth, instead of the Jets.

"Mate, Newtown out of Perth bid. Too many games being played by Norths and WA government," the text read.

The Jets were removed from the NSWRL in 1983 and have never re-entered the top tier of rugby league in Australia. Newtown currently plays in the NSW Cup. 

The club still has a strong cult following at Henson Park.

Whether the Bears and Perth amalgamate remains to be seen with rumours of frustration between both parties.

Watch the 2024 NRL premiership live and free on Nine and 9Now.

"Peter V'landys and the ARLC, their preference is for the Bears to link up with Perth. I don't think it's Perth's preference to link up with the Bears though," 9news and The Sydney Morning Herald reporter Michael Chammas said on 100% Footy two weeks ago.

League icon Phil Gould added his support for Perth to have its own identity.

"I still think it needs to be standalone, I still think it needs to be the Western Reds and I think that's where it's best placed," he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...400365a9&ei=87
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

WA should go it alone instead of some half baked, nostalgic nod to North Sydney wankers.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

WA should go it alone instead of some half baked, nostalgic nod to North Sydney wankers.
    It would be hard being a Manly supporter to back a half WA, half Bears setup, but a full on WA set up I could get behind

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    It would be hard being a Manly supporter to back a half WA, half Bears setup, but a full on WA set up I could get behind
    So they come under the "Manly hates you too" umbrella? Plenty of room - it's bigger than the Chookie's Sombrero.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    This came across my "desk" yesterday-

Name:  448464763_776492011317719_5840670302684723588_n.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  198.9 KB

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I don't have a lot of knowledge of the current state of the game in Perth but when the the original Reds bid went in, the game here was a great deal stronger than it seems to be currently. There were some seasoned ES 1st graders, International and Origin players involved in a very strong 1st grade comp as an indication. There were a lot of junior players and many schools involved in the Commonwealth Bank Cup comp. Looking at the language in that letter it seems to be a "build it and they will come" attitude to player development. To me that is pie-in-the -sky stuff. I doubt that will fly with canny operators like V'landys & Abdo. I predict that they will demand Norths are involved because of their strong established pathways. I'd prefer a WA only id but it just doesn't look to be a goer. As I've said, I'd prefer they left things as they are. That looks a snowball in hell chance. The vast majority of WA Mungo watchers, probably don't really get Rugby & would definitely think I'm crazy. I think some of them might have been initially watching the Force in the Subiaco days but have long since dropped off.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Name:  bears.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  54.9 KB

"It looks like a deal has been struck between the Western Australia and North Sydney Rugby League governing bodies, with the Perth Bears expected to be the 18th NRL team being introduced to the competition in 2027"

- "Rugby League Daily" FB

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Sydney media reporting that the main sticking point has been overcome (probably by a PVL "decree") . Only one game per season at North Sydney Oval. Sounds like a done deal alright.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Sydney media reporting that the main sticking point has been overcome (probably by a PVL "decree") . Only one game per season at North Sydney Oval. Sounds like a done deal alright.
    As discussed previously, you'd hope they do plenty of work on scheduling and maximising the Sydney "Away" matches in developing Sydney based supporter packages.
    One match a year isn't going to keep the "loyal supporters" loyal.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I think North Sydney representation on the board was also a sticking point but I saw something the other day saying it wasn't a sticking point any longer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3