Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Perth bid hoping Bears talks and Roosters supremo will help gazump PNG push for licen

vCash
    This is exactly how it started in Nazi Germany. Apologies to Basil Fawlty.

But seriously this, as I've noted before, is what Wayne Bennett & Doc Evans proposed about 15 years ago for both codes. But what would they know, eh? An opportunity missed - by Rugby anyway.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well, to my surprise it's looking extremely likely that Perth has managed to displace PNG. I didn't see a merged entity being a goer, but it's now looking likely. Two interlinked reasons I have not liked this going ahead were the small RL junior pool & the potential to entice junior Rugby players. This Roar blurb seems to negate the first one. But unfortunately worsen the second.

Perth want proof of what the Bears could add to their potential NRL expansion franchise - here it is

......The Bears are the only team to have played every year since 1908 in the NSW Cup. They have diligently created an elite junior development program, boasting a clear NRL pathway through their junior representative teams and academies for both male and female football. ...... the Bears leverage a broader and more entrenched support base. With over 32 thousand followers on Facebook alone, double that of Newtown, the Bears demonstrate a wider reach.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/06/2...se-here-it-is/

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Who would have thought that a bid for a team in one of murder capitals of the world based on government support was a bad idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Who would have thought that a bid for a team in one of murder capitals of the world based on government support was a bad idea.
    I think it is only delayed - and maybe getting dumber. The latest brainfart is to build a walled compound/hotel to house players & visitors - owned by the NRL. But I'd hazard a guess to be funded by Joe Taxpayer. FFS.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Must admit, again parking my Union impact concerns in the corner, to be warming to the idea of a merged team, given a few caveats in scheduling.
    I've been trying to wrap my head around why you would go for a "relocation mentality" and finally twigged it's not really about the new location, it's keeping the old fans engaged in the old location and having them attending "Away" fixtures as paying Members.
    Bums on seats will always remain the "thing" in the West and while I am aware of significant following of NRL here, how many that go to the occasional showcase matches here are long term residents that will lock onto a permanent presence in front of their existing affiliation?
    However, it occurs to me, seeing the following the Bears enjoy, that handled right the new entity would enjoy a few "Home" matches in North Sydney and potentially a bigger supporter base at the Sydney Away fixtures than at their Perth Home ground (presumably HBF Park).
    So, given 18 team and retaining 27 Rounds you'd see say 25 matches if including a couple of Bye's?
    Others can confirm, but my memory/assumption is that Manly and Wests would be the two local foes considered "Derbies"?
    I would fixture an Away against Wests and a "Home" against Manly at North Sydney to start the season, probably followed by an Away in Sydney somewhere, then return to Perth to a more traditional East-West travel routine.
    Repeat/reverse the process in the second half of the season, perhaps using a Bye for one of the travel weeks.
    While you are compromising the actual Home crowd in WA to start the season, you would be capitalising on and engaging with the "32k on Facebook" straight up, rather than trying to get them on board after potentially an average start to the season and only every 2-4 weeks (if non Sydney destinations included). The team would be based in North Sydney area pounding the schools and Junior clubs for three weeks "buying" loyalty.
    I'd think, having waited so long anyway, the diehard supporters in the West will be watching on TV eagerly and ready to go in "Round 4".
    Perhaps a decent Pre-season match at HBF the Friday night before heading East.
    I would also argue for the first couple of years that Broncos and Melbourne were only once per year and both in Perth, to try and fire up the Qld & Vic expats.
    Also that Townsville and NZ be limited as much as the remaining fixturing can allow due to the travel.
    Maybe talk either of them into having a Brisbane "Home" match.
    Given the failure of the WReds, but the potential upside to the NRL if it works this time, I think it perfectly reasonable to implement some favourable Draw scenarios until the next expansion happens (or say four years, whichever is first).

Edit add- I'll throw a "Newcastle Home match" at Gosford into the mix too, maybe the third match of the above triple East coast season start.
    The Northern Eagles (North Sydney+Manly) were proposing moving there, but Newcastle may have claims for the catchment now...

Last edited by Burgs; 30-06-24 at 15:24.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Given the dearth of meaningful development comps for junior Rugby players, I see this as a huge threat. The Mungo's have long had a strategy of bringing young players from country areas and placing some of them in GPS schools while also playing Harold Matt's & SG Ball. Doing the same from WA is not a stretch. Very few then opt for Rugby. I don't like it; but I think it's going to happen.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Given the dearth of meaningful development comps for junior Rugby players, I see this as a huge threat. The Mungo's have long had a strategy of bringing young players from country areas and placing some of them in GPS schools while also playing Harold Matt's & SG Ball. Doing the same from WA is not a stretch. Very few then opt for Rugby. I don't like it; but I think it's going to happen.
    Yeah, WITH my Union hat on, definitely bells going off, but as you say won't have much influence on it, which is why I would be keen for the Force to proactively work with the new team re S&C, back room etc.
    Better the devil you know, even with Twiggy Dollars you aren't going to beat the NRL head to head.
    School wise I could see a scenario where Aranmore are used as an Academy base.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    For the force, this is a terrifying concept. If the NRL can manage the startup well enough and get the team into moderate success within 5 years the crowds will disappear from force games in favour of the team that wins.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    For the force, this is a terrifying concept. If the NRL can manage the startup well enough and get the team into moderate success within 5 years the crowds will disappear from force games in favour of the team that wins.
    Going by attendances for the last 2 years, I'm pretty sure the crowds have already disappeared.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I dunno Gigs, wouldn't you think those who would disappear to League support would have already left Union attendance?
    I would need to be a comfortable millionaire before considering being a League Member.
    Might go to a couple of matches a year, but wouldn't be at the expense of Force support.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yeah, you're probably both right.

Something isn't sitting right with me lately though

Probably the complete silence on the signature front.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Probably the complete silence on the signature front.
    That is a little unnerving...
    Should see the dominoes start to fall into place in a hurry this week though I reckon.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2