Thread: Force get value from kicking game

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force get value from kicking game

Nick Taylor
    February 19, 2015, 7:35 am

Western Force were heavily criticised from some quarters last season for their kicking game.

Coach Michael Foley takes a pragmatic approach, saying statistics show his side were not one of the highest-kicking teams in Super Rugby. They also kicked less than the champions Waratahs last season when in the opposition half.

But he also says: "If we kick we need to make it count, it needs to be of value."

The Force kick-chase was a major factor in bringing that "value" when they applied pressure on the Waratahs defence in Sunday's 25-13 win.

Luke Morahan, who is expected to start at full-back in place of the injured Dane Haylett-Petty against Queensland Reds at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, said the Force put an emphasis on following kicks.

"It's something that we emphasise, putting pressure on their kicker," Morahan said. "You can get those little one-per-centers that can turn the momentum of the game. It's always important to put the pressure on.

"It does play on their mind when they go to kick. It's always in the back of their mind that they've got to get it away quickly."

Foley will announce his team today but Morahan said he would be happy on the wing or at full-back where he played plenty of rugby for the Reds before moving to the Force last year.

"I'm happy to step in (to full-back) if needs be," he said. "I've played there a lot over the last few years. I enjoy it. I'm comfortable there or on the wing," he said.

Morahan said there would be no complacency against the Reds and said he expected a backlash after they were mauled 47-3 by the Brumbies.

Karmichael Hunt is tipped to start at full-back for the Reds with James O'Connor at fly-half on debut. Another Reds signing, former All Blacks flanker Adam Thomson, will also make his first start.

Morahan predicted a stronger Reds attack with O'Connor and Hunt both coming in to first receiver.

"Regardless of where they are on phase play they will play a pretty dominant playmaker role either side of the ruck," he said.

"We'll have our hands full trying to nullify their game.

"They've got so many quality players."

"I've played there a lot over the last few years. I enjoy it. I'm comfortable there or on the wing."" *Luke Morahan * on playing full-back

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-kicking-game/

0 Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    OK, get this.

Why don't we kick it down Karmichael's throat all day?

With a good chase and plenty of pressure, he'll have nobody behind him in support
    O'Connor will be up the front trying to look cool and Flyhalf-ey
    Hunt has a pretty good boot, but might have dodgy decision making.....especially since he appears to have been groomed for 10
    Maybe we might get lucky and he'll revert to league (knock the ball dead in-goal, truck it up with no support expecting the game to stop, throw an insane pass behind the line to avoid the goal drop-out

Stupider things have happened, Izzy had two such brain-snaps last year and he's a bloody good footballer, pressure does weird things to people and Hunt is the new kid!

0 Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Hunt has a pretty good boot, but might have dodgy decision making.....especially since he appears to have been groomed for 10
    He's been groomed for 15 so I wouldn't rely on that.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    The article wasn't about kicks for goal then

wtf happened there anyway?

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Somehow I don't thin KH will be anywhere near the game.... or will it be innocent until proven guilty???

0 Not allowed!