Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Refs and arseistants

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    harro ma'afu .. you have bad disciprin

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Haji View Post
    You missed my post wondering about the scrum we got pinged on.

Also Delve looked suspiciously too close to touch when he scored. Might explain that hesitation to ground it???

Couldnt help myself....BLOODY REFS!!
    I thought exactly the same thing, watched in slow mo and it looked like he caught the ball standing on the sideline, would have been worth a look from the TMO. Anyway doesn't matter now.

vCash
    TMO cant look outside the try line, and anyway it was our favourite TMO George Ayoub so he would have awarded it regerdless %)

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    TMO cant look outside the try line, and anyway it was our favourite TMO George Ayoub so he would have awarded it regerdless %)
    There have been several instances this year where they have looked "outside" the try line.

Not sure if it depends on the question asked by the Ref......Ecky please help.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    The current TMO protocol is as follows (referred to as "that official"):

If the referee is unsure when making a decision in in-goal involving a try being scored or a touch down, that official may be consulted.

The official may be consulted if the referee is unsure when making a decision in in-goal with regard to the scoring of a try or a touch down when foul play in in-goal may have been involved.

The official may be consulted in relation to the success or otherwise of kicks at goal.

The official may be consulted if the referee or assistant referees are unsure if a player was or was not in touch when attempting to ground the ball to score a try.

The official may be consulted if the referee or assistant referees are unsure when making a decision relating to touch-in-goal and the ball being made dead if a score may have occurred.

So, at the moment, they TMO can only be consulted for in-goal decisions. It's only where a player may have been in touch in attempting to ground the ball or score a try where the TMO can look outside the in-goal.

BUT.....

The iRB has announced a trial:

"A trial to extend the jurisdiction of the TMO to incidents within the field of play that have led to the scoring of a try and foul play in the field of play to take place at an appropriate elite competition in order that a protocol can be developed for the November 2012 Tests."

One would expect that to result in a number of things.

1. It will prove to be hugely successful
    2. It will prove to add yet more stoppage time on to some games
    3. It will allow the referee to be less vigilant than they otherwise might be, knowing that there's a TMO "just in case". (you know, like the cricket umpires and run out/stumped decisions)

If point 3 doesn't shit you now then just wait. Or maybe that's just me...

Anyway, this'll only be for that stuff on the telly and not the real suburban stuff we see every week in and around Perth.

vCash
    I like the idea of the TMO being able to give advice to the ref in the same way as an assistant referee. That way they could identify things like:
    - passes, throw-ins, etc, they think might be dodgy, especially in the run-up to a try, could be "hang-on, I'd like to look at that again". In open play, however, you can't stop play to review every pass.
    - scrum collapses. It takes a minute to reset a scrum anyway, so why can't the TMO review the reason for the collapse.
    - foul play where the ref and assistants missed the number, or there was too much happening.

vCash

Sports ears

Ecky
    Do you have a set of sports ears ?? And if you do have you heard the ref consulting with the TMO on general play ??

vCash
    Tonkar

Yes I do have Sports Ears.

I have told you previously that I have only been to one live game this year, so not much opportunity to listen to the match officials.

... but even if I'd been to all games, I doubt I'd hear the ref consulting the TMO on general play as the TMO cannot assist or rule on it.

Sheikh

I imagine the ref will still need to ask the TMO. I don't imagine the TMO will be able to speak up over the comms system without being requested first. Bear in mind the wording of the existing stuff is "the official may be consulted", so it won't be like the AR protocol, methinks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Sheikh

I imagine the ref will still need to ask the TMO. I don't imagine the TMO will be able to speak up over the comms system without being requested first. Bear in mind the wording of the existing stuff is "the official may be consulted", so it won't be like the AR protocol, methinks.
    The existing protocol, yes. I was saying I'd like the TMO's role expanded so that he's got the same ability to speak over the ref comms if he sees a foul. The ref's decision is final, but giving him an extra pair of eyes shouldn't hurt the game. The TMO would still only be able to review the replays if the ref directs him to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    The existing protocol, yes. I was saying I'd like the TMO's role expanded so that he's got the same ability to speak over the ref comms if he sees a foul. The ref's decision is final, but giving him an extra pair of eyes shouldn't hurt the game. The TMO would still only be able to review the replays if the ref directs him to.
    It would be helpful, as in the majority of cases I see where an AR is asked "did you get a number", most don't seem to understand what a number is, and it can negate the whole yellow card situation, (the white card is a great benefit for next weeks opposition though). So if the AR replies "I don't know, but it was one of the fat guys," the TMO can shout over the PA "3 from White" etc, or he can ask anyone at the ground, or anyone watching on TV to phone in and help out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3