Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Queensland Reds -v- Western Force Match Report

Champion
    vCash

Is this our best team.... surely not

Emirates Western Force:

15.Alfie Mafi, Sheps....(worth one more shot)
    14.Nick Cummins,
    13.Patrick Dellit,
    12.Winston Stanley, dropped/bench - Faribanks
    11.Napolioni Nalaga, drop mafi
    10.James Stannard, seymour
    9.Brett Sheehan, benched rep by stannard (big call I know)
    8.Ben McCalman, bench rep by Cotterell
    7.David Pocock (capt),
    6.Matt Hodgson,
    5.Nathan Sharpe,
    4.Toby Lynn, bench repl by Wykes
    3.Salesi Ma'afu, LB
    2.Nathan Charles,
    1.Pek Cowan.
    Res: 16.Ben Whittaker, 17.Kieran Longbottom, 18.Phoenix Battye, 19.Angus Cottrell, 20.Ben Seymour, 21.Rory Sidey, 22.Sam Wara

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Rex, I don't disagree with many of the points you make.

However, you can't blame the coach for every error the players make.

The players need to be accountable for their performance. The coach is only part of the equation.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I saw a side that dominated a good part of the second half and lost because of a few bad handling errors and some unfortunate reffing issues. Slagging the coach constantly is not going to help, let's have some positive reinforcement.......pun intended.

Keep the faith guys......GO THE FORCE!!!!

Just happy to be here

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Haji View Post
    Canes beat the currie cup champions in jo'burg..........
    Big deal. Currie Cup form does not equal Super Rugby form. The Cheetahs were champions a couple of times in the mid-late 00s and where did it get them. The Lions are the one type of team the Hurricanes have a good chance of beating. We won in Jo'Burg last year too, and by a much more comfortable margin.

The Canes have just had two tough games in the republic and are still traveling. They will be tired. They will have one eye on the flight home. After their win in JoBurg they won't have as much to try and prove to their fans/coach. Ripe for the picking.

Practically the same Force team only just lost to a far better Hurricanes team in NZ last year. We'll have greater hunger and should take it.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Enough of the doom and gloom, I watch the match yesterday and I have just watched the replay again.

We were leaps and bounds better than last week.

Sharpe just getting back into form, last week was his first hit out since last year.

Pocock was great and his captaincy just starting to take shape.

Hodgson again the unsung hero, with Cowan.

Dellit made a huge difference to the back line, suddenly we had a presence.

Mafi doing exceptionally well at fullback, however we do need Sheperd back as we need some clearance kicks to get a lot more metres.

Cummings enthusiastic as ever, and will get better.

Reds coming off a confidence boosted win last week and Harris unwavering in penalising us with his kicks.

The backs ran a lot more plays, a lot less one ball back into the collision zone.

The boys gave their best out on the park, and we cannot ask for more.

Lets get out their in Force next week and give them something back for the efforts they are trying to put in, this is not an easy comp and made all the more difficult without a proven playmaker but they are trying their best lets get behind them.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Big deal. Currie Cup form does not equal Super Rugby form. The Cheetahs were champions a couple of times in the mid-late 00s and where did it get them. The Lions are the one type of team the Hurricanes have a good chance of beating. We won in Jo'Burg last year too, and by a much more comfortable margin.

The Canes have just had two tough games in the republic and are still traveling. They will be tired. They will have one eye on the flight home. After their win in JoBurg they won't have as much to try and prove to their fans/coach. Ripe for the picking.

Practically the same Force team only just lost to a far better Hurricanes team in NZ last year. We'll have greater hunger and should take it.
    Wish i shared your optimism......I would love to be proven wrong.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wouldn't

After last season's one home win, we need runs on the board.

Champion
    vCash
    The force are like my golf... Plays well on places but majority of the performance is poor..

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    We played one of the best teams and had a intercept try scored against us which grimacingly enough was really good can't help but love the flying Fijian at full flight. I wasn't thinking we would win the game but was happy to see some players continue to improve and some plays actually being run. For me the coaching decision to have Seymor come on so early was good and I would be happier to see him on the field more in a baptism of fire and develop more.

Just remember how the reds supporters would have felt 2-3 years ago and have faith. sign up some young blood and build a team not marquees how are just being paid lump sums.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm a little surprised at all the negative sentiment towards Winston Stanley. I have to admit I didn't notice him much in the first half, but I thought he looked good in the second. The guy was a U20 player of the year nominee- he has a lot of potential.

vCash
    I think everyone's emotions are getting the best of them. Is it frustrating? Hell yeah.

Statistically, they were even or better in almost every category...except for points. The two Reds tries were against the run of play, and the only difference in the game was the flawless kicking of Mikey Harris (offer him a chunk of change NOW!).

The backline looked a bit better, Paddy Dellit looks to be a welcome sight, and I agree - Stanley is not quite there yet, but looks to have potential. Oddly, I didn't really see Seymour do anything, but the backline seemed to function better with him there. Late in the game they started running some "two line" structures in their attack, and they looked much more threatening with some width and depth.

Clearly not quite there yet, but showed improvement and potential. While we would all love to see Nalaga get the ball with some space out wide, shouldn't he be looking for some work in the midfield? I think I saw it happen once...

Rookie
    vCash
    Simply put poor discipline has cost us in the first two games , when we have possession , good field position or in goal kicking range for the opposition. It takes any momentum from them. Some of our most experienced players seem to be the major offenders too which is a little frustrating.
    I wouldn't be surprised to find we are the most penalized team so far this season.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'm a little surprised at all the negative sentiment towards Winston Stanley. I have to admit I didn't notice him much in the first half, but I thought he looked good in the second. The guy was a U20 player of the year nominee- he has a lot of potential.
    I noticed him in the first half. On at least 3 occasions, he was the guy sliding off the back of a tackle!!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    And he kept popping up in the Vitamin ads during the breaks dam it - just to remind us!
    Yeah, wearing an ocean blue coloured T-Shirt!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast