Thread: Stadium hiccup for Government

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Stadium hiccup for Government

Stadium hiccup for Government

PETER KERR, The West Australian February 27, 2010, 2:15 am

WA News / Ben Crabtree ©

State Government plans to build a 25,000-seat soccer and rugby stadium in East Perth have hit a snag with the Town of Vincent refusing to sell the existing stadium and rejecting the Government's subsequent bid to pay a peppercorn rent for the land.
    The delay could affect the Government's pledge to have final plans in place by July and slow the desperately needed rebuilding of the ageing ME Bank Stadium, shared by the Western Force and Perth Glory.
    It could also have financial ramifications for Rugby WA, which is understood to have leased temporary seating and equipment on the basis that a new facility would be in place within two to three years.
    Further delays mean it would have been better off buying the items.
    Vincent mayor Nick Catania confirmed on Thursday that in an effort to break the deadlock the council had submitted an updated proposal to the Government.
    It included a substantial annual lease fee in recognition that the council would be giving up its management rights to the facility.
    The Government has demanded control over the existing stadium before proceeding with any redevelopment, possibly including scrapping the long-term management lease held by Allia Venue Management, arguing it was necessary to justify the estimated $160 million bill for the project.
    Mr Catania would not say how much council was seeking as an annual fee but said negotiations had been "amicable" and he expected a resolution soon.
    A spokeswoman for Sports Minister Terry Waldron said yesterday talks were "continuing in good faith" but would not give further details or a deadline as to when they might be finalised.
    The Government is yet to say how it will fund the project, or give any timeline for its completion.
    Shadow sports minister Ken Travers said he was baffled by the Government's insistence on taking full control of the stadium after last year rejecting Vincent's proposal for a $75 million refurbishment.
    Mr Travers said the council had proved it could manage developments on its own land, such as the Department of Sport and Recreation headquarters in Leederville.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...or-government/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And given the GST shafting of WA, I can see the excuses coming of affordability......

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    And given the GST shafting of WA, I can see the excuses coming of affordability......

I think we all can already see the headlines

(But don't we think the WA govt is playing a bit of politics here? Doesn't the quote ""I mean who in Western Australia is going to vote for Kevin Rudd when he's saying you get 68 cents in the dollar back, but Queenslanders can have 91 cents in the dollar?" sort of give the game away?)

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The press release earlier in the week from the Town of Vincent saying that an announcement by the Gov later seems to have been a bit of gaining higher ground in the negotiations I think.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    I think we all can already see the headlines

(But don't we think the WA govt is playing a bit of politics here? Doesn't the quote ""I mean who in Western Australia is going to vote for Kevin Rudd when he's saying you get 68 cents in the dollar back, but Queenslanders can have 91 cents in the dollar?" sort of give the game away?)
    alright! two quotes from my post!

vCash
    Reflecting the can do attitude of these two arms of WA government, the old Norwood Hotel has undergone a face lift. It has been prepared for the hordes of Rugby & Football supporters who'll pass by on the way from East Perth station to MEBS.....
    The street appeal is obvious

And is matched by the interior ambience.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    alright! two quotes from my post!
    I'll let you have that, although I wasn't quoting you, I was quoting Barnett from a news website
    The fact that he also says ""I mean why would you vote for Labor?" just makes it more clear. Makes you wonder what federal Lib brownie points he's angling for.

That pub looks condemned. Is it?

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    I'll let you have that, although I wasn't quoting you, I was quoting Barnett from a news website
    The fact that he also says ""I mean why would you vote for Labor?" just makes it more clear. Makes you wonder what federal Lib brownie points he's angling for.

That pub looks condemned. Is it?
    Yes it is. It has been knocked down, the leftovers taken away and the site is being prepped for building of an office block.

edit: Centre of pic with the blue dot is where it was:

http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-31.94414...h&nmd=20091231

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue