Thread: Looks like Force aren't the only ones with injury problems...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Looks like Force aren't the only ones with injury problems...

Super 14 Reds lose Hardman, Humphries

Queensland have lost veteran forwards Sean Hardman and Van Humphries in a major blow ahead of Friday night's Super 14 clash with the Crusaders at Suncorp Stadium.

Hooker Hardman has succumbed to an ankle injury he sustained in the 30-28 loss to NSW while second rower Humphries is suffering from a head knock.

Coach Ewen McKenzie has restructured his pack with skipper James Horwill moving from the back row to lock, giving teenager Jake Schatz a surprise start at blind-side flanker.

Saia Faingaa has been promoted from the bench to start at hooker while James Hanson is one of four new faces on the bench.

Among them are former Wallabies Greg Holmes (ribs) and Leroy Houston (knee) who have worked their way back from injuries.

McKenzie said Schatz, an uncontracted Academy player, had earned the opportunity after impressing in pre-season training and all three trial matches.

"Jake has shown plenty of promise and maturity in the pre-season," he said.

"We need to give these guys an opportunity and he gets his chance against some of the best in the business."

The Crusaders, who enjoyed a 32-17 first round win over the Highlanders, have made just one change to their bench with All Blacks prop Wyatt Crockett taking the place of Peter Borlase.

Queensland: Peter Hynes, Digby Ioane, Morgan Turinui, Anthony Faingaa, Rod Davies, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Scott Higginbotham, Daniel Braid, Jake Schatz, James Horwill, Adam Byrnes, Laurie Weeks, Saia Faingaa, Ben Daley. Res: James Hanson, Greg Holmes, Robert Simmons, Leroy Houston, Richard Kingi, Tim Walsh, Will Chambers.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Good to see Greg Holmes on the road back to starting, we could do with him putting pressure on Benn Robinson.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    A bit of a bugger for Hardy - he prides himself on not missing games through injury. I think both injuries are minor.

vCash
    Hardman needed to play every game this year to reach 150 S14 caps

Whilst Hardman and Humphries are injured, its good to see Houston and Holmes both coming back from injury, Holmes played the game over in Perth but that was his first match in 8 months or so i think.

Jake Shatz is a solid lad as well, has a lot of potential, he players more like a number8 then a blindside but that could work out well with Higginbotham since he plays more like a Blindside then a number8.

vCash
    Houston was a lucky break TOCC. I thought when I read this that they couldn't afford to lose Humphries.

C'mon the

vCash
    im personally not sold on Byrnes nor Humphries, im assuming they bring experience to the team because other then that i think they are both distinctly average.

Champion
    vCash
    THE reds lose toO many more players ... there depth will be tested as well. i HOPE THEY DONT...... maybe we could join the teams togther at the end of the season Red Force

vCash
    i wouldnt get ahead of ourselves, at the moment Hardman and Humphries should only be ruled out for one match