Thread: Lockless in Windy Town

vCash

Wink Lockless in Windy Town

Rookie international Lock Donnelly jumps at chance to fix All Blacks lineout

New All Blacks lock Tom Donnelly says he's excited rather than daunted by the challenge of trying to lift the team's lineout out of the doldrums.

The uncapped Donnelly is one of three changes to the New Zealand pack for Saturday night's Tri-Nations test against Australia in Wellington.

He says he's not burdened by any pressures to be an instant fix-it.

"The part of the game I really enjoy and thrive on are lineouts. It's a great opportunity for me to see how I can help out," said a beaming Donnelly.

The 27-year-old has the experience and physical attributes at 2m and 113kg to back his confidence.

The Otago, Highlanders and Junior All Blacks lock was involved in All Blacks squads twice last season and has been with the squad again this year since the buildup to the win over Australia last month.

Now he finally gets his chance.

"I'm on top of the world. If you grow up playing rugby in New Zealand the reason is to wear the black jersey and play for the All Blacks. So it's a great achievement."

Donnelly learned of his selection at a forwards meeting this morning.

"We were talking about the lineouts. Then Graham (Henry) read out the forwards and I thought I'd better start listening."

He felt he might have been somewhere in the mix as the acid went on the selection in the wake of last week's loss to the Boks and the team naming was delayed for a day.

"I got a couple of runs in the team yesterday but I didn't have any other clues. I thought I might have a shot at making the bench but I didn't think I'd be starting."

Donnelly' selection justifies his patience and passion.

"I had an opportunity a couple of years ago to head overseas but I decided to stay in New Zealand to chase the All Blacks jersey."

He wondered if that had been the right decision at times and admitted to trying too hard in his quest to achieve his goal. He had refocused this year to take things one step at a time rather than dream of the bigger picture and believed that had helped his game.

"I just focussed on what I could control and that was playing footy for the Highlanders and Otago."

Donnelly felt "time itself" was a key to lineout play - the more experience you had the better you became.

He has certainly done his time and appeals as something of a hard-nosed, old school type second rower who will bring a more simplistic approach to an area of the game that is guilty of becoming over-complicated.

Donnelly, who watched last week's loss form the stands in Hamilton, said there were still some positives in the All Blacks lineout as they set about trying to better the Wallabies in this key facet.

"You have to put it into perspective a bit. The All Blacks lineout has been up against the Springboks and they are the best in the world. Victor Matfield is probably the best lineout forward in the world.

"If you look at our second half last week we improved a lot and started winning some ball so we just have to carry that into this week."

Donnelly sees this match as a huge opportunity to press his claims for an end of year tour and a more permanent position in the mix.

With Ali Williams and Bryn Evans injured out of that tour equation, the mix of locks will be interesting. Anthony Boric's return to action for North Harbour following a lengthy toe injury is another positive alongside the rapid development of Isaac Ross who has been dropped after starting all eight tests this season. Brad Thorn is the workhorse, Jason Eaton remains in the frame and now Donnelly has entered the picture.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...Blacks-lineout

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    I don't know this guy, but Isaac Ross has been devastating against us this season. It's highly likely that the Blacks will win more lineout ball but lose so much around the field that this move will be a failure.

0 Not allowed!
    C'mon the